Coming off the pill...Help please...

PrincessKay

Reaction score
Hi

I am going to a consultation tomorrow about getting my implant took out and looking at other means of contraception etc as ive had it in for 3 years now. I was thinking about going on the pill for a year or so and then TTC just after my birthday (August) next year, only thing is ive heard that you need to come off the pill 3 months before you TTC as there is a higher risk of miscarriage. Does anyone know if this is true or know of a better contraception to use for the next year? I want to have some king of idea before i go rather than just saying yes to whatever the nurse says.

Thanks so much :) xxx

I was told by my doctor that the pill comes out of your system almost immediately and when you come off you are actually at your most fertile. I think with most things there are always scare stories but my GP said there was no need to wait and there have been no conclusive trails to say there is any increased risk of miscarriage.

Saying that though I have had prolonged effects from the pill being in my system (I haven't had a natural period yet). Although she said this is normal too... Hmmm!

I waited anyway, just to be on the safe side since I was in no rush, wasn't planning to try right away (we switched to condoms for a while) and well I didn't see the harm in being extra cautious. Hope this helps :thumbup:

My understanding is the same as plutosblue - I was told not to come off the pill until I actually wanted to get pregnant as so many people get pregnant virtually straight away after stopping the pill - there is research that suggests that fertility is very high for a few months after stopping the pill (although it can then drop for a year or so).
There are no risks involved in getting pregnant immediately after coming off the pill, I believe the reason that a lot of people come off a bit earlier is so that they can get to understand their cycles a bit... and some doctors reccommend coming off a few months earlier as until you've had a 'true' period it's more difficult for them to work out when you're due...
But I personally won't be coming off the pill until the time I want to get pregannt - and just hope the high fertility thing works for me!!!:happydance:
I don't really know anything about other forms of contraception I'm afraid...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->