coming off the pill

lauraebrad

Reaction score
Hi
I'm completely new to all of this.
Am 29 and been married nearly 5 years - never imagined that I would get broody, but in the last few months everythings started to change.
We've talked and DH suggested trying in Jan 09 so we have chance to get used to the idea!
I've been on the pill for over 10 years and have 4 packs left. I've read that you shouldn't start to try straight away after coming off the pill, but what do you use as contraception in that time - surely using condoms would get a bit tedious:huh:

Any ideas on this one?

I came off the pill had a 32 day cycle then got my :bfp:. I know some peoples bodys take time to adjust.

If u can u are better using another method to be on the safe side

Welcome to wttc:happydance:

I was on the pill for 10+ years. Came off in January when I ran out. We didn't use any contraseptives for the first month, just skip that week, and then got :bfp: the cycle after that. I really did think it would take a bit more effort :rofl:

Hi Laura! :hi:

When I went in for my pre-pregnancy check up a few weeks back, my doctor advised it is not absolutely necessary to wait to TTC after you get off BCPs. The only reason they recommend this is because it may be more difficult to determine the due date of the baby if you do become pregnant your first cycle off. In addition, she said that a lot of women are VERY fertile their first cycle off BCPs, so you may just hit the jackpot! :happydance:

I know when I finally stop my pills, I'm not planning on worrying about waiting a cycle or two - if it happens, it happens! :rofl:

Thanks everyone - that makes me feel better - I thought we were going to have to hang around for a few months!

I think the advice is a bit hit and miss.. theres actually some advice that you are more likely to ovulate directly coming off the pill-biologically your body would be fine i guess. It shouldnt be any different from any other month...maybe you should just go for your gut instinct and see what fits....I have a friend who swears that this is the case...she got preggo first time!!! Lucky thing!!

If you've read any Zita West books about conception she certainly thinks so..mind you so also thinks everyone should have as much sex as humanly possible all the time so i pretty much would go with anything she said!!!:rofl:

I have 7 days left of pills. And I am scared out of my brain about what my period is going to be like - I have been on this pill for 13 years! I really wish that I would have taken a break on it earlier in life to see how my body reacts to it. But I guess we'll see. I am so happy to have found this forum for my journey!

I am on my last pill pack and will be trying after that. I have discussed it with my mum, because she's a midwife and says with the new types of pills there are there is no need to wait to TTC, however it is harder to pin point conception, but that can be done during the 12 week scan. When doctors suggest you wait 3 months that was on the old types of pills which stayed in their system... I'm just going to come off and see what happens, I get married a few weeks after the last pill. I hope that helps. Remember to take Folic acid 3 months before conception too...

Hi there,

CONGRATS on making the step to TTC!!! and Welcome to the TTC waiting room!!

I really think its up to you. What you do as, everyone has said 'everyone's body is different'.

Good luck !!

Kerry xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back