COMPLAINT - Mamas and Papas Sola - Grrr -Help?

jayan73

Reaction score
Apologies, I'm new to this forum and just found it when searching Mamas and Papas problems! Wish I found this earlier...

Our Sola squeaks, rattles and groans like an old cheap £20 reject from a boot fair and its only 5 months old, but had just 4 months of infrequent use!

We purchased a Mamas and papas Sola pushchair in Green (wife is Irish!) that was picked up on 23/05/2011. However, this pushchair was not used until June 30th 2011 as our daughter was back and forth into/from hospital.

The pushchair is less than 6 months old, but squeaks, groans and rattles loudly. M&P say the frame needs lubrication, and have following the instructions to oil lubricate the WHEELS ONLY and sliding mechanism to close it! It doesn't say lubricate the frame!

But, the frame also worryingly moves to the side when you try and manoeuvre the pushchair i.e up a kerb, turn in a circle or move around a bus queue or in a shop (you know the usual stuff!).

The Sola moves sideways, when it shouldn't and is quite loose. M&P say that they will look at this, if I send (at my cost by courier) and then will decide whether it is faulty.

As any excited parents, we bought loads of stuff to go with the Sola, Carrycot, Footmuff, car seat adaptors, sun shade/insect screen, green umbrella (useless!)

What are my rights?? From reading posts on here and elsewhere, you either get a good Sola or a bad one, and when its bead, they are not worth repairing or don't get repaired despite sending off to M&P!!

I am unhappy for this to be "repaired" as the Sola is made mainly of rivets. I would want a new sola pushchair or refund. I am though worried if I get another i.e new replacement, whats to say we experience the same problems, then have to face the "delightful", but rude M&P customer service and be stuck with a Sola puschair that we cannot use and end up buying another one (money we simply cant afford!)

We also excitedly bought other items to work attach to the sola, namely sola carrycot, sola footmuff, sola car seat adaptors, sola insect net, sola umbrella/shade.

Can I cite Sales of Goods Act as Not suitable for purpose, nor of satisfactory quality and request a new replacement puschair or simply demand a full refund for the Sola and accessories?

Im also wondering whether to just buy from another stockist, say Boots or similar as their customer service is better, or just go to John Lewis etc and buy a different but new puschair.

Any help or suggestions would be invaluable, as I need a pushchair that is safe and cannot afford to be without one, as my daughter is a colic, reflux baby that can only go to sleep on an incline and this is only achieved in ...the pushchair!!

Help...

Hi, Just had an email back from M&P saying that they will not refund me but rather they will repair the puschair.

They say "If a manufacturing fault develops within this time, we will repair or replace the faulty component."?!!

What can I do??

hiya did you get it from the shop or online??

as i got my daughters pram from the shop and they just changed it there and then. nt sure of your rights but if its under a year old you should be allowed a refund if you nt satisfied with it or at least to have it back in vouchers as that is what most companies offer you.

i would ring them say you cant afford to be without the pram to get it looked at and that you want a replacement

Hi thanks for replying!!

I purchased this from the Orpington store. I had returned to the store with the pushchair in september when the squeaks and groans started happening and was advised that I needed to follow the instructions and lubricate the pushchair to solve this!

To be honest their attitude was dismissive, and indicative of their whole approach. They couldn't have been nicer selling the products but as soon asi paid the balance, then their attitude changed!

The day I collected my order, sola pushchair, sola carrycot and mattress, cotattreds, sola footmuff, adaptors, Moses mattress, insect cover, they were bundled onto a trolley and told to return it when I'm done, then the 2 girls just carried on chatting and left me to zig zag out of the shop with all the packages!

So I wasn't surprised to be told by m&p that they will inspect and then decide whether it is a fault and needs repair or not!

In honesty, the chair rattles, squeaks and groans in addition to moving sideways when negotiating herbs etc, so how can I be confidant in the pushchair?

I'll try again with the store and have emailed M&P by reply to refuse their offer of repair.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation trying to get a refund or replacement? Who else should I be contacting??

Any help will be gratefully received , thanks

Thanks

Touch wood I've not had any problems with mine but I would have no fear citing the sale of good act.

Hey
I bought a Sola a week and a half ago and I am not happy with it. The front wheels are so clunky and noisy....where the hinges are for folding never shut tight so there is a 2-3mm gap so when i go up a kerb I am terrified it folds! I phoned shop where I bought it and they told me this was part of the suspension??? since when was the folding mechanism part of the suspension?
I'm taking it back to shop at weekend in the hope of a refund but not holding out much hope :(

is there no BS kite mark standards that pushchairs have to meet? as you could maybe contact trading standards, and copy all correspondence to M&P as well. As if its not safe/structurally sound then its a danger is it not and then its not fit for purpose?

Just have to add, I had a problem with Mammas and Pappas order and found the order line lovely and helpful but Customer Services were just appalling. Really rude, wouldn't listen to me, and totally unhelpful. I love some of their ranges but am refusing to purchase there given what a terrible experience was first large order was......GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR indeed

Hi, i'm someone who had massive problems with M&p, their pushchairs all have a warranty on them so they should collect and repair for free...we did this twice and then demanded money back (and got it) sitting telling them we would take legal action if money wasn't returned within 7 days (got it back that day plus a £40 voucher...so keep pushing. Speak to someone as senior as you can. Can't think of the Lassies name right now but will ask my hubby and will pm you as soon as I can.
Good luck

Right, can't seem to message you, call the switchboard on 01484438200 and speak to Vicki rigg

Hope this is sorted now, but you can definitely quote sales of goods act as this pushchair does not sound fit for purpose!!

I had a glide (sola in a package deal) which was shocking, exactly what you described plus the wheels fell off. Originally it was repaired but then it happened again, they said they would replace but a different model, I wasn't happy but was getting nowhere on the phone. My advice, go to the Shop ask to speak to a manager and make a scene- they reeeally don't like that as I think they think they've got a reputation to protect. And certainly their service is excellent BEFORE you buy the product.
I have learnt to live with it but personally I hate the sola. I would push for a refund as its shoddily made. The design is excellent but the quality just isn't there. Hope you get something sorted.
Btw if you don't get anywhere ring trading standards and they'll give advice

I has issue after issue with mamas and papas, the only good service I've ever had was in the factory shop - they couldn't do enough! When my lo was 10weeks old is Morph sling popped open while he was in it, and he almost fell out. The shop manager first refused to speak to me and was then downright rude. Her own staff were telli f her that the disay model was much tighter / stiffer than ours and that ours was faulty - the manager still insisted that ours was fine :shock: We ended up dealing with customer services and they had it collected and tested and surprise surprise agreed it was faulty. We got a full refund.

Then I bought a Footmuff to match my Frankie pushchair and it didn't fit - the girl on the phone was SO rude, I was just appaled, she was awful. Ended up going to the factory shop where they said they couldn't refund because I didn't buy it from there (they are closer to me than where I bought it) but when I explained all the problems (and got all upset telling her about the woman on the phone) she went away and sorted it all out. The problem was that the new version of the pushchair didnt have the poppers to fasten the Footmuff to, so it just flapped about. She arranged for me to take my pushchair in and have poppers fitted, which was great. I complained to customer services about the whole thing (and said how good the lady was who sorted it all for me) and they gave me a £20 voucher, it didn't even cover the diesel running back and forth but it was something.

the back wheel fell off my sola after 6 months. they took 2 weeks but replaced brake bar and wheels. when they returned it, they didn't return the straps or lap bar so I had to wait another week for these. very bad service.

Old thread I know:blush:

I find mamas and papas customer service absolutely shocking and silvercross as well tbh.

Mamas and papas, I brought their pliko pramette in mimi the first trip out it started squeaking and sounded like we had a family of mice with us! Then my first trip on the bus with Isabelle the break failed and the pram went rolling to the front! They again started rambling to me being sarcastic about lubicting the wheels with furniture polish and how the breaks were my fault!

Should of learnt my lesson but then brought the sola also which tbh we loved but also had its faults with squeaking and the seat kept on falling back from the sitting up position a few times shaking Isabelle up.
The big company's seem quick enough to take your money but don't give any service in return :nope:

I occasionally have the seat issue with mine and I think.it possibly is a WD40 job is you can get into the mechanism to spray it. I love my sola.and had no real issues with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->