concerned

Jessicahide

Reaction score
My little love is 12 weeks and 4 days and he is a very good feeder now, but the last few days he has his last bottle at 8 and wakes at 6 am when i do for his next one ( he has been doing this for a few weeks now) but he seems to be having 6 oz every two hours during the day..... is this normal?!

Anyone else's lo doing the same?! He is already on hungry baby but seems starving at the min.... When my mum was here the other day he didn't even wait the 2 hours it was half hour and in her three hour visit he had 16 oz.....

Might be a growth spurt, but some babies just eat more than others. My sister has always had a high metabolism, and constantly needed a bottle or food when she was tiny. (she's also always been model thin despite eating so much... the gene pool is so unfair sometimes :haha:)

If his medical provider isn't worried, I'd just keep at it for a bit and see if it changes. And you're approaching the point where you can start introducing solids, so maybe a little food will help keep him fuller in-between bottles. :)

Thank you, my hv told me at 12 weeks with ds3 he would have to start having some baby rice as he was sooo hungry, hoped this one would be on just bottle for a bit longer.

I think I would consider going back to normal milk not hungry baby milk. Hungry baby milk is slower to digest but that actually means your LO will get less nutrition from it, because he can't digest its ingredients as easily. But thats just my opinion. Obviously I can't see your baby or know his circumstances, like you do.

Other than that I think what you describe is normal - he is sleeping through the night so really needs to make up for it during the day, so 2hrly seems about right. When your mum came over maybe he was a little anxious about a new person being there and just wanted some comfort from sucking/feeding.

If it is the 3month growth spurt his body will be telling him he needs more nutrition (again one of my issues with hungry baby milk is I wonder if it will make growth spurt behaviour last longer). Obviously if this continues for weeks on end and his weight gain is out of control you may want to re-evaluate it.

Why is he on hungry baby milk?? My LO is 3 months & feeds on demand. I follow the wonder weeks & he's just been through a leap, so his feeds have been off. But normally he takes 6-7oz every 3-4hrs. He has occasionally taken 8oz. We just give him what he needs. As the pp said, he won't be getting the nutrients from hungry baby. I find it odd that your HV has suggested it tbh. Ours are dead against it & say it should really only be used to put off weaning between 4-6m. But even then, they don't like to recommend it. My LO was taking 5-6oz every 2hrs when he was 2m old. The amounts will reduce. From very early on, he was having 33oz+ a day! Lol. He's thriving.

My paediatrician told me that the 6month weaning was more aimed at countries where there is famine. And was completely fine to wean. All mine were on solids at 13 weeks baby rice & fruit & yogurt 😃.

My paediatrician told me that the 6month weaning was more aimed at countries where there is famine. And was completely fine to wean. All mine were on solids at 13 weeks baby rice & fruit & yogurt 😃.

I have no idea where your paed got his/her info but the last time I looked the UK wasn't famine struck! We follow the 6month guidelines here because this appears to be when a child's gut is mature enough to digest solids and is around the time a child showsreadiness signs (needing increased milk feeds is not one of these signs). Obviously each parent does what they think is best.

As far as I'm aware there is no medical organization in the world that recommends any solids before 4 months. Most recommend closer to 6 months, but def not before 4 months.

This thread has got a bit too snooty to be honest, my son is on hungry baby as he was screaming for more formula and i didn't want by 6 week old having 8 oz.... What you are saying about less nutrients in hungry baby is not even close to true, the longer it takes to digest, the more nutrients you can digest from it. I should have known better than to ask people on here really, could have just pm'd Gemstone to be honest! I love how everyone is a bloody expert whilst showing a very limited understanding of how the digestive system works....

I forgot how many high horses there were when you have a little baby, i really hoped it had changed!

This thread has got a bit too snooty to be honest, my son is on hungry baby as he was screaming for more formula and i didn't want by 6 week old having 8 oz.... What you are saying about less nutrients in hungry baby is not even close to true, the longer it takes to digest, the more nutrients you can digest from it. I should have known better than to ask people on here really, could have just pm'd Gemstone to be honest! I love how everyone is a bloody expert whilst showing a very limited understanding of how the digestive system works....

I forgot how many high horses there were when you have a little baby, i really hoped it had changed!

Oh I really tried not to be. That's why I wrote " But thats just my opinion. Obviously I can't see your baby or know his circumstances, like you do.". I know it is hard to get tone write in written text so sorry if you got offended.

Oh I really tried not to be. That's why I wrote " But thats just my opinion. Obviously I can't see your baby or know his circumstances, like you do.". I know it is hard to get tone write in written text so sorry if you got offended.

It wasnt you, it was "why is he on hungry baby...." They make the stuff for a reason, my children are very tall, their dad is 6ft 5 and they grow fast, my lo's head had grown 4 cm's at his first injections, and that was a big enough growth for the doc to check for hydrocephalus.He has gone from the 25 percentile to the 75 percentile for height and weight by 14 weeks.

I just hoped as this forum seems to be fine 90% of the time, this topic wouldn't bring out the "know it all" types who obviously do everything better than everyone else, but know nothing ( not saying thats you) I am probably just sensitive at the moment i have been with af since the 5th now and i am not really in the mood to be "told off" by anyone.

My son has gone from the 34th centile to the 91st at 15wks. I feed on demand & he takes what he needs. Sometimes that is 8oz. It's nothing to be concerned about. I'm just curious why you don't feed normal formula on demand? My LO is on Nutramigen for cmpa, a lot of babies lose weight or fail to go above the 20th centile, so he's really thriving. He's not overweight either, long & lean like his Daddy x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->