Confused about birthing pools...

GeorgeyGal

Reaction score
I've had a look at recommendations online and see prices for hire vary from £80-£300! Is it worth paying more to get a pool that is heated or is that not necessary, will it retain heat?

I'd like to know too - it's sooo confusing!

I hired one that was not heated (from this website https://www.waterbabybirthingpoolhire.co.uk/ for £80). It was easy enough to leave the hose in the pool and then turn on the hot tap to increase the temperature. The pool probably lost a degree an hour or so. We filled it up at 10pm around 36 degrees C and we topped it up when it got down to 32 degrees around 2 or 3 am.

I use La Bassine pools with my clients which arent heated and they retain it well. A few top ups with the kettle is all that's ever really needed depending on how long you get in for. I covered my own pool after filling it with piping hot at about 9am and still had to cool it down at 8pm to get in! The air in inflatable ones have an insulating effect. I dont have experience of the heated ones because the La Bassines work so well.

I really wouldn't worry about keeping it heated.. you can easily top them up - but if anything you will want it on the tepid side of warm and not like a hot bath. 2 reaons: 1 - you are going to be working your muscles pretty hard and will prob be feeling hot rather than cold, and 2 - baby is to be born at body temp water. If you try this at home in the bath or sink 37.5oC wouldn't feel warm or cold to you.
If you are worried about cost, then check out your local homebirth group, they can led them out (info at homebirth.org) or you could buy one second hand off e-bay (mine was £50 for the "birth-pool-in-box" and so worth it - or you could buy a paddling pool for £25; though get one as deep as you can find, as it was having the water upto my back that really helped me.
XxX

Thank you so much for your replies guys! I've got my eye on a pool in a box off ebay, if I can buy one for under £80 I will or else I'll hire one. I can't justify spending hundreds on a heated pool especially if I may not use it in the end! OH can take care of the topping up anyway! x

Just on a seperate note I'm so excited as just decided on a home birth and feeling really positive!

That is amazing!!! It is such a great feeling! You are going to love it! XxX

My labor was 26 hours and we still managed to keep the birthing pool warm, mainly through keeping the 'lid'/cover on whilst not in it, and with some top ups with pans and kettles of hot water. I am v.tall so went for the regular sized birth pool in a box, it has the added advantage of a seat and great handles, it is deep and long. It was amazing and i could not imagine birthing anywhere else. Prior to buying this i did loads of research and thought i'd need a large (expensive) wooden heated one, but in the end it really was not necessary.

I hired one that was not heated (from this website https://www.waterbabybirthingpoolhire.co.uk/ for £80). It was easy enough to leave the hose in the pool and then turn on the hot tap to increase the temperature. The pool probably lost a degree an hour or so. We filled it up at 10pm around 36 degrees C and we topped it up when it got down to 32 degrees around 2 or 3 am.

That's the one that is sat in my front room now waiting to be used :D Good to hear it worked for you thanks :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->