confused about sma formula

smurff

Mummy to Emily and Harry
Reaction score
Hi, hopefully someone can help as me and my husband ae confused!, my dd turned 6 months last week so we was intending on changing my dd formula to the 6+ formula, i know its only a guide but on the side of the from birth tin it says to give them 4x 240 mls feeds a day which we have been doing along with half a jar of pureed food along with her lunch bottle and another half a jar of pureed along with her tea time bottle. When we went to buy the red 6+ tin it says on the side of that that its recomended for some bottles and beakers and it said she should only be having 600mls a day of formula. We dont know weather to continue giving her 4x8oz bottles of the from birth milk a day which is 1120mls a day or drop her right down to the 600mls of the 6+ milk, Anyone help us please as i dont want to ask HV because we keep getting diffrent answers depending on which one we ask

I'm a little way off yet so this might not be overly helpful but I think that personally I'd keep LO on the original formula til she'd started having more solids and then she may naturally start wanting less milk so it would be a smooth and easy transition from one to the other?

Agreed - I notice on mine that it says to drop them right down but I think that's for 1 yr old anyway. they will naturally wean themselves. At 6 mths my Lo was having 900 mls still plus little bits of food - he;s now on 5-600 - plus 3 meals a day and he naturally dropped down

Personally I never took much notice of what the formula tin said and gave my son whatever milk he was hungry for, although can't remember now how many bottles he was having!
We never switched formula either, we went straight from stage 1 formula to cows milk at 1 year, over the course of the year he gradually dropped bottles when he was eating solids :) just go by what your baby is telling you, if she starts consistently refusing certain bottles she's probably not hungry for them anymore :flower:

ide wait until she naturally drops feeds then switch. xx

Personally I never took much notice of what the formula tin said and gave my son whatever milk he was hungry for, although can't remember now how many bottles he was having!
We never switched formula either, we went straight from stage 1 formula to cows milk at 1 year, over the course of the year he gradually dropped bottles when he was eating solids :) just go by what your baby is telling you, if she starts consistently refusing certain bottles she's probably not hungry for them anymore :flower:

initially I didn;t switch as I was told it was pretty much the same stuff anyway but the 6 plus had a bit more iron in which they should get from their food but my LO refused meat for quite some time so I was concerned he wasn;t getting much iron, he eats veg but not leafy greens either so I switched it for that reason

We swapped because we heard that there was little difference between the two, but the follow on (6m+) was often reduced! They cant reduce the original powder because of laws which promote breastfeeding but they can reduce the follow on powders. We swapped with no problems and pretty much ignored the amounts on the side. He pretty much now takes what is suggested, without us having deliberately changed his feeds. Hope that helps!

Not sure if it's the same for all formula (we use cow and gate) but the HV told me theres no real diffence in he diffrent aged ones n the main reason she advises people to switch is becuse they do offers and you can collect boots point on 6mth+ milk and there not allowed to on newborn milk
I carried on with Sophie normal amount when we switched her xx

The 3 bottles a day is for babies on 3 meals and snacks a day. Once they are having 3 meals a day 3 bottles probably is all they'll want anyway. Until then they need as much milk as they want.

We switched to follow on milk at 8 months with DD2. She was having 4x200ml bottles at that point, so 200ml over the "guideline" amount. I really dont think it will do any harm to give over the recommended amount if you did want to switch. I think the guideline amounts and number of feeds per day are very outdated, especially on the "from birth" milks. I mean what newborn goes 4 hours between feeds or can handle a full 3oz feed from day 1????

The NHS website states this " ‘Follow-on’ formula is not suitable for babies under six months, you don’t need to introduce it after six months either"

My doctor agreed that there are far more nutrients in the early stage formula

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->