confused by my baby's mixed signals, lol

florabean1981

mum to Harry 06/10/09
Reaction score
Harry is just over 5 mths old & at 20+3wks, we decided to give him some baby porridge (the plain kind made up with some ebm or water) & he loved it. I gave it to him for 5 days, but he was giving me really mixed signals as to whether he was truly ready for solids or not. So I decided to stop giving it to him for 3 days, to see if was more unsettled/crying for food etc.
On the 3rd day, he was watching us intently at dinner, chewing when we chewed & getting quite agitated. I picked him up & he was grabbing for my cutlery & opening his mouth, holding his hands out towards the food, so i figured, okay, this is a sign, i guess he must be ready. So, we started the porridge again & I was loading the spoon up, giving it to him & he was putting it straight to his mouth & doing really well.
I'm intrigued by the concept of BLW, so I figured we'd go round this route. My sister gave me some rusks that her LO doesn't eat anymore, so i tried harry on one (a banana flavour one) & he ate about a quarter of it, really sucking & chewing & doing great holding it & getting it to his mouth & stuff.
Yesterday, he choked... like really choked, went blue & everything & scared the living daylights out of me & now I'm really put off blw. I know it's just one bad experience & that gagging is normal, as is the occasional choking episode & also that harry probably doesn't give 2 hoots about it, but i worry about this kinda thing! (neurotic 1st time mum, lol)
Today, I haven't offered him anything other than his usual BF's (on demand) & he doesn't seem to care that he isn't having real food... so i feel likie i'm getting mixed signals as to whether he is ready or not for real weaning. I dont mind if we go for TW or BLW tbh, but either way, I want to be sure I'm doing what's best for him & at the best time for him...
So i guess my real Q is: should I hold off weaning properly until he's 6mths old (3 wks away or so) or should I keep going with the TW & introduce finger foods at a later stage when he seems more ready for it??? Or should I just keep BFing for now & just see what happens?
Confused I am!!!!

(jesus, sorry that's turned into a really long post!)

i agree, its all really confusing. lol. sorry not much help, be interesting to see what others think x

I think try again at 6 months, whether BLW or TW. If you're not sure if he's ready, and he doesn't seem to care if he has the solids or not, then there's no rush, is there.

Heya :)

Id keep him on the baby rice for a few weeks, soft and easy to swallow! Then gradually start trying him out on finger foods when he is 6 months. But if u feel you are worried its ok to stop :) xx

I'm trying to stick to cereal/baby rice with the odd puree to try different tastes textures. I have to watch Noah now has he does grab food and eat it (very good at carrots) I think go with what feels right for you and Harry. I'm mainly BFing on demand and offering one 'meal' a day.

thanks for the replies so far :)

do you think it would confuse him if I stop now until he's 6 months? :shrug:

i didn't offer him anything 'solid' yesterday & he didn't care at all & didn't behave any differently from usual, and he hasn't had anything other than boobie so far today & is fine, so I think the BFing feeds are enough to sustain him still for now. My heart is saying to hold out again until 6mths or until 100% sure he's ready, but I am feeling pressure from people around me (family & friends) to wean him because it's the 'normal' thing to do. It just kinda seems like a minefield, lol. Thankgod my OH is supportive either way, especially since he'll be the one cooking all the meals, hehe!

stick with bf if thats what youre happy with. ignore everyone else, its only your and your oh decision x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->