Confused.com!!

MummaMoo

Mum to my gorgeous girl!
Reaction score
Hoping someone can offer some guidance...

Sophie has been trying solids for a couple of weeks now, and she's taking quite a bit in. Over the last few days I've noticed her refusing her milk much sooner into a feed, sometimes she'll only take 30ml (an oz?) before she pushes it away. Yesterday in total she only took 420ml.
I've read that a baby should still be taking between at least 500-600ml in order for them to get the right amount of nutrients, so if Sophie continues along this path, I'm worried she won't be getting enough..... so do I cut down on her solids in order for her to take more milk? Or am I worrying too much?
Also I'm following a routine where at 4-6months, she had milk at 7am, 11am, 2.30pm, 6.15pm and 10pm. Now at 6-9months they say to drop the milk at 11am and 10pm. As I'm not 100% certain how much solids she's actually eating, and given her milk is dropping, I'm continuing with the 11am and 10pm feeds, just not offering as much. Reckon I should just drop them anyway, do it gradually.....? I don't want her to get into a state where she's really hungry... (I'm aware that as her milk is dropping, she probably is filling up with solids, but calorie wise it's not a lot as it's a lot of veg).... just feeling a bit stuck! Help!!

I would keep offering milk, and offer it more than your specified times of your routine. If she's dead against drinking more than an ounce at a time then get milk into her food. Mash bananas in milk etc.

Thank you! I'll do that :)

Perhaps go the little and often route in regards to the milk, see if that ups her levels a bit.

As long as you are offering her milk first and then solids, which should allow her to fill up on milk before she gets to her food, then I would just carry on with what you're doing. Don't try to cut out bottles or get her to drop milk feeds. It will happen on it's own when she's ready and not according to any schedule. Really the more milk she will take the better until she's 1, so I wouldn't intentionally try to cut any out. In the meantime, yes, use cow's milk or formula in her foods to help her to continue to get those nutrients. You might also consider starting her on a vitamin supplement as they usually recommend one once baby drops below 500 ml a day consistently. If you see she is consistently taking only an oz for any given feed, it might be a sign she's trying to drop it though. My daughter started to do this for the mid-morning feed around 8 months and she also stopped taking any milk overnight (she still woke up lots, but wouldn't eat) at 9 months. Once it happened for a couple weeks, we stopped offering them and she filled up on solids at her next meal instead. It should be obvious when she's ready though and you'll see a pattern develop in terms of when she'll take milk and when she won't.

Thank you for your reply Utopia :flower:

I'm certainly not trying to replace any milk feeds with solids, and do offer her the milk first, but I think perhaps I was a bit too eager with her food, so she maybe had a bit too much, which put her off her following milk feeds. I've cut down on the quantity today, and let her pick and munch what she wanted, and her last two milk feeds have been over 100ml so we may be back on track.. Fingers crossed.
I've been sticking to the routine in the book apart from the dropping the 11am and night feeds. Just didn't feel right to cut them out straight away. I think they need to cover the transition of milk/solids in the book.

ide also suggest adding milk to her foods :)
so use her milk as a thinner rather than water, make her porridge with milk instead of water (i know some say to make with water but just ignore that).

and as said already too make sure shes having milk & then solids xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->