Confusion over making bottles

https://www.dwrcymru.com/English/library/publications/milk%20guidance/english.pdf

I used to buy the cartons for night feeds. I used to just put a couple of bottles and cartons on my bedside table with a jug and a thermos flask, then all I'll have to do it pour in the forumla and warm in the hot water for a couple of mins... I didn't pre make bottles though so this was just easier for me.

I used to buy the cartons for night feeds. I used to just put a couple of bottles and cartons on my bedside table with a jug and a thermos flask, then all I'll have to do it pour in the forumla and warm in the hot water for a couple of mins... I didn't pre make bottles though so this was just easier for me.

So do the bottles stay sterile then? :shrug:

My steriliser says they only stay sterile if I leave them in the unit & dont open the lid :wacko: :shrug:

Once you put the bottle together from the steriliser it is sterile for up to 24 hours

https://www.dwrcymru.com/English/library/publications/milk%20guidance/english.pdf

If water is boiled and put into the sterilised feeding bottles can it be stored in
the fridge like this until the powder is added?

No, the water must be above 70° C when the powder is added otherwise the bacteria
in the powder will not be killed.

:thumbup: more people need to read this!

^ I dont buy it, not one tin of formula sold here in Australia says this on the tin. In fact most of them say to make formula up using cooled boiled water.If it was such a risk it would be mandatory and the guidelines for sale of baby formulas are closely regulated and strict

??

I premake my bottles. I usually let the kettle cool for half hour and then add it to the bottles, put them in the fridge then warm the water and add the powder when necessary.

at what point then do you kill the bacteria in the powder?

If water is boiled and put into the sterilised feeding bottles can it be stored in

No, the water must be above 70° C when the powder is added otherwise the bacteria

Spoke to my health visitor today & we were discussing this :coffee:

She said if I cant make the bottles from fresh each time, that I should:

Pre-prep

Sterilise bottles etc
Boil kettle & wait 30 mins
Add water to bottles
Cool the bottles further
Put bottles of water in the fridge

When bottle needed for baby:

Heat bottle of water (to 70degrees)
Add formula
Cool bottle ready for baby to drink :baby:

Pre-prep

Sterilise bottles etc
Add water to bottles
Cool the bottles further

Add formula
So you do double the work? If your heating the water back up to 70 then you basically are making a fresh feed, which im pretty sure defeats the object of not being able to make fresh feeds. Right? :shrug:

Pre-prep

Sterilise bottles etc
Add water to bottles
Cool the bottles further

Add formula
So you do double the work? If your heating the water back up to 70 then you basically are making a fresh feed, which im pretty sure defeats the object of not being able to make fresh feeds. Right? :shrug:

But you dont have to wait half an hour for the kettle to cool....:thumbup:

no, but you have to heat the water to above 70, and how are you going to know its above 70? And then wait for it to cool down again

I sterilise the bottles
boil kettle and leave to cool for half hour
add water to the bottles and leave on the side
when needed i add formula and warm bottle!

Some say it wrong, others also do this!! It works for me and has done for my sisters 3 kids, so im sticking to it!

no, but you have to heat the water to above 70, and how are you going to know its above 70? And then wait for it to cool down again

Im gonna zap it in the microwave....Gotta gauge roughly how long it takes to heat to the same temp as 30 mins after kettles boiled

Then add powder

Then cool in running water

....................:wacko::wacko::wacko: Now im writting it down it does sound like a lot of faffing!!!

Im going to buy some ready made cartons tommorow for the night feeds...That should solve that problem! :winkwink:

Id go with the department of health instructructions for pre making, their recommendations are evidence and research based!

kelly its easier to use boiling water, add formula then rapid cool under the cold tap, this way all bacteria has to have been killed!

Im confused now.... I thought once you have added the formula to the bottle it has to be used in an hour?

I spoke to the Aptimal help line and they said that its ok to sterilise and prepare all of your bottles for the day and to just leave them on the side and to mix the powder in when you need it. Putting them in the fridge is fine too, but it just takes longer to warm them. As long as you use them within 24 hours, they said this is fine, they just can't put this advice on their box.

I do this, and have done since she was born and is absolutly fine. x

this is the way i do it too. if used to leave them on side as my lo drank them at room temp, saves heating them up from fridge

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->