Confusion over making bottles

Id go with the department of health instructructions for pre making, their recommendations are evidence and research based!

If it really was that important tho, it would be on every tin of baby formula sold as formula companies have to adhere to very strict guidelines and regulating.

Just like they have to state 'breastmilk is best for babies'

It would be a WHO regulation? I have not seen one tin of baby formula that says the water has to be 70 or so degrees?

Id go with the department of health instructructions for pre making, their recommendations are evidence and research based!

If it really was that important tho, it would be on every tin of baby formula sold as formula companies have to adhere to very strict guidelines and regulating.

Just like they have to state 'breastmilk is best for babies'

It would be a WHO regulation? I have not seen one tin of baby formula that says the water has to be 70 or so degrees?

https://www.fao.org/ag/agn/agns/files/PIF_Bottle_en.pdf

ahhh lol thanks.

Wierd that its not mandatory on formula tins then?

Wow!..Anyone that wasn't confused before....

IS NOW! :dohh

So many different views, from Mums & professionals! :wacko::wacko:
:

kelly its easier to use boiling water, add formula then rapid cool under the cold tap, this way all bacteria has to have been killed!

Thanks Ness :flower:

When you say 'boiling water, do you mean after kettle has cooled for half an hour, as stated on the formula pack :shrug: Then after you rapid cool, do you store them in fridge? :shrug: How many do you make at a time? :shrug:

I do defo like this idea the best, its how I made my bottles for my 2 Sons & they never had any problems :winkwink:

Think im gonna stick with this way now....:thumbup:

Wow!..Anyone that wasn't confused before....

IS NOW! :dohh

So many different views, from Mums & professionals! :wacko::wacko:
:

kelly its easier to use boiling water, add formula then rapid cool under the cold tap, this way all bacteria has to have been killed!

Thanks Ness :flower:

When you say 'boiling water, do you mean after kettle has cooled for half an hour, as stated on the formula pack :shrug: Then after you rapid cool, do you store them in fridge? :shrug: How many do you make at a time? :shrug:

I do defo like this idea the best, its how I made my bottles for my 2 Sons & they never had any problems :winkwink:

Think im gonna stick with this way now....:thumbup:

This is what i want to do.. So is this safe?

Never heard of 'rapid cool' what is it?

I use boiling water, add the formula and mix together, put in a jug of cold water to cool for approx 15 mins then put them at the back of the fridge. The only reason they recommend waiting 30 minutes after the kettle has boiled is because of the risk of scalding yourself. You just have to be careful!!!!

I premake my bottles for the day I sterlise the bottles then boil the kettle make them up add the powder shake well then rapid cool them in the sink then pop them in the back of the fridge then when needed 30 secs in the microwave and it's ready for lo xx

I just use boiling water Kelly I don't wait for it to cool - they see to use cooled boiled water so you can't sue them if you scald yourself lol

Much easier to make from boiled, rapid cool then feed or just leave them to cool on the side and store at the back of the fridge ready to be reheated! I bought a tommee tippee bottle warmer off eBay and take it up to bed with me along with all the bottles premade for night feeds then I takes only a few minutes to reheat while you change baby or she's stirring x

Thats what we do at work! As long as you are killing the bacteria as you add the hot water you are fine.

[
This is what i want to do.. So is this safe?

Never heard of 'rapid cool' what is it?

We cant really seem to agree on whats 'safe'....:wacko: As there are varied opinions

But as ive said a few times, I used to make all my 2 Sons bottles this way & they were always fine :thumbup:

Rapid cool basically means to plonk the bottles in cold water to cool them quickly :winkwink:

I use boiling water, add the formula and mix together, put in a jug of cold water to cool for approx 15 mins then put them at the back of the fridge. The only reason they recommend waiting 30 minutes after the kettle has boiled is because of the risk of scalding yourself. You just have to be careful!!!!

I didnt know that was the reason:thumbup:

I always find if you let the kettle cool slightly its easier to scoop powder in, as otherwise it all gets a bit 'stuck' on the scoop....:dohh: Do you Girls not find that?

Yes I have that two but ive built up a collection of scoops now so i just sling in the dishwasher when done.

We boil the kettle, allow it to cool for a while then make up the formula, rapid cool then put them at the back of the fridge. We warm them in a jug of boiling water as needed. This is the WHO advice, birth to 5 book advice, my midwife's advice and the only logical way to do it that I can see if you're needing to ensure that any bacteria are destroyed by the water being above 70 degrees. I use a sterilised plastic medicine spoon to ensure we get all the formula off the scoop as I'm too impatient to wait 30 minutes too!

How does the formula stick on the scoop, as the scoop doesnt touch the water??? Is that what u guys mean??? :D

How does the formula stick on the scoop, as the scoop doesnt touch the water??? Is that what u guys mean??? :D

When the has just boiled, lots of steam then rises up & so makes the scoop a little wet...Hence the powder sticking :winkwink:

wow I had heard they had changed the way you make up bottles since I was last bottle feeding 3 yrs ago but I didn't know it had changed so much! My mw told me to take formula and bottles to the hospital with me when I have my daughter and I thought I don't need anyone showing me how to make a bottle and instead I have bought pre bottled SMA just for staying in hospital and now I'm wondering if I should take formula too and have some bottle lessons or are they gonna have me up half the night faffing about with making them fresh all the time ?! o_O

Here in the US I've never been told to boil the water. The doctor thinks I'm silly to buy distilled water instead of just using tap water. Some people I know run hot water from the tap to make formula - which I think is gross[stuff from the hot water heater getting in the water] but yeah. You'd think if unsterilized water, formula powder was so bad more American babies would get sick.

I'm the only one of my friends who even has a baby bottle sterilizer.

I shake up bottles as needed with room temp distilled water. I have since DD was 2 days old without issue. I only sterilize the bottles and pacifiers once a week. Scrub everything in hot soapy water once a day.

You don't sterilise bottles in America as part of the process?

Sooo confusing. I guess i would stick to the WHO recommendations tho, doesnt hurt to be safe than sorry :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->