Confusion over making bottles

KellyC75

Mum of 4 <3
Reaction score
I am gonna make a couple of bottles ready for the night feeds, can i check with those that f/f please....

Once ive let kettle sit for half an hour, then i pour my water in the bottles, mix the formula in & then will I then cool the bottle 'before' putting in fridge or put in fridge when still warm? :shrug:

Oh & another question please ....:blush:

When I express a little to relieve the pain, how much/how long should i do it for & how often? :shrug:

Thanks everyone for your help & support :hugs:

Oh & forgot to say....I know the guidelines are now to make up fresh each time, but this wont be practical in the middle of the night! :dohh:

Also, pre-made bottles never harmed my 2 Sons! :winkwink:

I will make them fresh in the day time though :thumbup:

i cant help you with the expressing im afraid but the bottles i can. I boil the kettle wait 20-30mins, add water, add powder, shake, rapid cool in very cold water and then pop in the fridge at the back (never the door) then im extra naughty and zap them in the microwave when needed.. X also, i premake ALL my bottles, im not faffin about making fresh feeds no matter what time of day it is lol x

I premake my bottles. I usually let the kettle cool for half hour and then add it to the bottles, put them in the fridge then warm the water and add the powder when necessary.

I can help with the expressing....... :)

Just express after u bottle feed each time and just to relieve discomfort. You dont wanna over do it unless ur planning on continuing to breast feed a little :)

With the formula i wanna know this too as the organic formula im looking at using after my LO starts solids says to use 50-60 degree water to make up feeds, which means letting the kettle boil and sit for half an hour....others say cooled boiled water, confusing!

Unless u know exactly when LO will feed its impossibe to wait 30 mins add powder and feed fresh so it either storing boiled water in bottles in the fridge and making as needed or boiling waiting 30 mins, making up bottles in advance, rapid cooling and storing in the fridge. I dont think u can put warm milk straight in the fridge.

Can anyone help a bit more x

i cant help you with the expressing im afraid but the bottles i can. I boil the kettle wait 20-30mins, add water, add powder, shake, rapid cool in very cold water and then pop in the fridge at the back (never the door) then im extra naughty and zap them in the microwave when needed.. X also, i premake ALL my bottles, im not faffin about making fresh feeds no matter what time of day it is lol x

Thats exactly what I do!! I make all mine up beforehand but they are all used within 12 hours as my lo is having a bottle between 2-3 hours :)

i pre make, boil fresh water, leave for between 20-30 min, make the feed, cool in a tub of cold water for about 15 min and then put in fridge. i used to do this twice a day for day and then night feeds. re epxressing, do it little and often as you dont want your supply to continue i take it? ask your MW/HV about that one too as my supply just started to go which is why we now FF.
xxxx

I make mine 12 hours worth at a time, to sterilise the formula it needs to be mixed with water of at least 50 degrees so I either make mine up with water from the kettle after 30 mins, fast cool then put in the fridge or sometimes if im in a rush I make with boiling water, put in a jug of cold water and put both in the fridge.

I make mine up for the day or night using boiling water and leave to cool on he side before storing at the back of the fridge then inuse my bottle warmer to warm up when needed. I heard the boiling water kills the bacteria in the formula - so much conflicting information!

Thanks Girls :hugs:

So, if I:

After boiling kettle
wait 30 mins
pour into bottle
chill water
put bottles (chilled) in fridge

Then when needed:

Take bottle & heat just water
Then add the formula

Is that right do you think? :shrug: Will that kill the bacteria?

There sure is. The majority of cans of formula here say to add powder to cooled, boiled water.....so im not sure how accurate it is about the bacteria thing otherwise it would be compulsory for all formulas to be made this way

Thanks Girls :hugs:

So, if I:

After boiling kettle
wait 30 mins
pour into bottle
chill water
put bottles (chilled) in fridge

Then when needed:

Take bottle & heat just water
Then add the formula

Is that right do you think? :shrug: Will that kill the bacteria?

after the 30 mins waiting for kettle to cool down, add the formula to the water then, chill formula and put in fridge made up...thats what i would do x

When u are out and about tho id take the cooled boiled water in bottles and formula powder in a dispenser and make up as required.

I spoke to the Aptimal help line and they said that its ok to sterilise and prepare all of your bottles for the day and to just leave them on the side and to mix the powder in when you need it. Putting them in the fridge is fine too, but it just takes longer to warm them. As long as you use them within 24 hours, they said this is fine, they just can't put this advice on their box.

I do this, and have done since she was born and is absolutly fine. x

if your just gunna add the powder to the water when LO is due a feed then i dont see the point in putting the water in the fridge? If you make it that way the milk wont be sterile. Premaking is making the milk and storing. Measuring out water isnt premaking, that just premeasuring surely?

Kelly a friend from BnB said that she adds boiled water to the bottles for the day then leaves to cool to room temp as it's sterile for 24 hours when she needs to make a bottle she tips out half the water then adds freshly boiled water back to the bottle to the amount you need and replace lid them shake well then add formula and it'll be the right temp x

Another trick my friend just told me is she puts the kettle on before bed to boil water. Then in the morning, she flicks it back on to reheatd just till its starting to get warm then makes up a bottle and feeds. x

Kind of similar to the above which a good method also xxx

Hope ur not getting too confused lol

When i have to faff about with making up bottles ill be a pro thanks to ur threads hehe

Ive been making all of mine fresh through the night as hospital told me to, defo talking to hv about pre making, yay for no fussing about like now at 5:30am :dohh: will the hv even advise to do this? What do I do? Clueless :dohh:

If you look in the birth to 5 book from the HV there is a section on formula and it says to make up fresh but if you do need to premake to boil the kettle, leave 30 mins, make up formula, fast cool then refrigerate for up to 24 hours, it is aimed at if you are going out and need to premake, it then states if you are going out you need to have the formula in the fridge for at least 1 hour before transfering to a cool bag where it is ok to use for 4 hours or if you are going to a friends with a fridge you can store for up to 24 hours.
I work on the assumption if its ok to do that then its ok to pre make at home. You should use fresh water each time though not water that has been boiled in the kettle numerous times,

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenyawenya
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->