Confusion over making bottles

Wow, this thread has me all sorts of confused. :wacko:

It wasn't this complicated when my son was born, unless I did it all wrong. :shrug:

OP, I used to make pre-made bottles. I would sterilise them, boil water, pour the water in and then leave them on the side at room temperature and just add the formula as I needed it and then heated for a few seconds in the microwave. As for expressing, don't do it. If you don't want to breastfeed, put some cool cabbage leaves in your bra to ease the pain a little (weird I know but apparently it works) Expressing will only confuse your milk supply as it will think that because it is being used, it needs to keep producing and the milk will never dry up. I stopped expressing and it took about a week for my milk to stop being produced. Hurt like hell but while I was expressing it wasn't going anywhere :)

Kelly Im sure there are tablets your doc can prescribe to dry up your milk...?

Wow, this thread has me all sorts of confused. :wacko:

It wasn't this complicated when my son was born, unless I did it all wrong. :shrug:

I know the feeling! :wacko::wacko::wacko:

Kelly Im sure there are tablets your doc can prescribe to dry up your milk...?

Thanks Ness....The Doctor doesnt like to prescribe them, as they have some bad side effects & so she has given me a stronger anti-biotic...Lets hope I can get some relief soon...Its really getting me down :cry:

I just wanna hug my DH, Sons & baby :hugs: But its too painfull!

aw fx the new antibiotics work soon hun send some of your milk my way :flower:

You can take Aleve and Ibuprofen at the same time for swelling and pain.

So is the idea behind adding the formula straight away to the bottles. is that it kills any bacteria in the formula powder itself? Im all confuzzled! x

So is the idea behind adding the formula straight away to the bottles. is that it kills any bacteria in the formula powder itself? Im all confuzzled! x

.....You & me both! :wacko::haha::wacko:

But, from what I can make out...Yes, adding the formula straight away kills bacteria in the milk & the only reason formula companies state wait half an hour, is because of the risk of you scalding yourself (like we have never used a hot kettle before! :dohh:)

But, from what I can make out...Yes, adding the formula straight away kills bacteria in the milk & the only reason formula companies state wait half an hour, is because of the risk of you scalding yourself (like we have never used a hot kettle before! :dohh:)

You can also damage your bottles if you put water in thats too hot, as my OH discovered the other day!!!! My bottle went a funny shape!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wacko:

Most bottles shouldnt be damaged by hot water. I boil to sterilise and have had no probs! Boiling is a method to do this that has been around for a long time

i always use boiling water.

Shanandboc how do you use boiling water to sterilise? Would be handy to know if I just need one bottle doing instead of using the electric steriliser

Just fill up a saucepan and bring water to the boil (enough water to cover all the bottles)
place bottles (that have been rinsed and washed out using a bottle brush) in the saucepan and boil for 5-10 mins, i only place teats in for the last few mins.....leave lid on and allow to cool down, then remove assemble and then i place in a container in the fridge ready for use x

i think the reason for leaving the water before putting in the formula is because if you add the formula to boiling hot water, it can take the nutrients out of the formula........... so i have read on another thread today. God, didnt think it would be this hard to decide what the best way to serve a bloody bottle! xx:wacko:

I read the same thing too Fabby, that adding boiling water that hasn't been allowed to cool kill off vitamins like vit c in the formula. And who said ff was easy eh?!!! :dohh:

Thanks Girls :flower:

Yes, who knew how confusing it could be ~ We just want to do the best for our precious little ones :baby::cloud9:

I think I will stick to waiting the half hour before adding the formula :thumbup:

How are u going with the engorgement btw? Things better for u? x

i make all my bottles one at a time. during the night i cheat a little, i take the kettle upstairs with me along with a few clean bottles and tub of formula. i make up a bottle when i go to bed and i sit it on top of the radiator so then when LO wakes up the bottle is still warm lol. as soon as he wakes i fill the kettle in the bathroom boil it and feed LO then once he is fed and settled again the kettle water has cooled a bit so i make up another bottle and stick it on the raditor ready for when he wakes for the next night feed. x

do you all take your bottles out of the steriliser once done? I leave mine in and use as I need them cos I assumed if you took them out and dried them and put away they'd not be sterile anymore?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->