conscious sedation dentistry

Scout

Reaction score
DD has a cavity :(. Her back teeth are tight up against each other and a small cavity has formed between them. I brush like I should but haven't been flossing regularly (after this nearly $650 dental appointment, I'll be flossing everyday!) Her pediatric dentist has suggest nitrous oxide and versed. I have signed the consent for nitrous oxide, but not versed.

Any experience with this or thoughts? I want dd to have a good dental experience, but I'm worried about the versed. I've been googling like crazy and it seems that conscious sedation is now the thing to do in pediatric dentistry, but it scares me when I read the consent and with side effects listed (death was one of them). I know it would be extremely rare, but it didn't help that the day of the visit the news reported a 3 year old died at the dentist. Her appointed for the work is end of July and I'm nervous and worried. I've asked the dentist if we can try the nitrous first to see if that will be enough and he agreed, but I fear that it won't be enough and they'll want to use the versed to do the work. Experiences with this would be helpful. thx

I've not gone through it with my daughter, but I have had the sedation myself when I had my wisdom teeth out. I would definitely opt for it. I had horrible dental phobia my entire childhood because of traumatic and painful dental work when I was around 6. I know I wouldn't want to see my child be afraid and in pain if I could have done something to prevent it. Of course, they have to have you consent to all the risks, but I wouldn't let a .00001% risk of something frighten you too much. I would rather the experience be as positive as it can be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->