Considering at-home insemination with donor sperm...?

Hi! Just popping my head back in here...

My wife and I decided to wait til August to start trying (we were originally aiming for April), and we're only one ovulation away now (bahahaha... I'm 7dpo right now).. and I just wanted to see if there was anything you all would recommend in the meantime, in terms of increasing fertility.

My cycles are fairly regular (they vary a little in length, but I get one every month, and I always ovulate), and I'm healthy. I don't produce much CM, and no real EWCM at all, so I've got some preseed to hopefully sort that out, and I've been trying to really up my water intake. Maybe that will help. I've got way down on caffeine, and I've been drinking red clover/nettle/raspberry leaf/peppermint tea every day, just for a natural, harmless little boost. Of course taking prenatals.

Anybody have any other suggestions as we get ready for this (I'm hoping not endless!) journey?

My wife and I decided to wait til August to start trying (we were originally aiming for April), and we're only one ovulation away now (bahahaha... I'm 7dpo right now).. and I just wanted to see if there was anything you all would recommend in the meantime, in terms of increasing fertility.

My cycles are fairly regular (they vary a little in length, but I get one every month, and I always ovulate), and I'm healthy. I don't produce much CM, and no real EWCM at all, so I've got some preseed to hopefully sort that out, and I've been trying to really up my water intake. Maybe that will help. I've got way down on caffeine, and I've been drinking red clover/nettle/raspberry leaf/peppermint tea every day, just for a natural, harmless little boost. Of course taking prenatals.

Anybody have any other suggestions as we get ready for this (I'm hoping not endless!) journey?

Nothing to add, other than we're doing our first insemination in August too!

I'm doing pretty much the same as you, so wondering if there is anything else I can do to help increase the chances!

I'm doing pretty much the same as you, so wondering if there is anything else I can do to help increase the chances!

Oh, so exciting! We'll be starting around the same time. Maybe August will be a lucky month! :) The neat thing is that I'll probably ovulate around the beginning of the month, which means if we get super lucky on our first cycle, we'll have a birthday baby.... my wife's is 4/16 and mine is 5/7, haha. Not counting on it, but that would be fun :)

How are you handling your donation?

Oh, so exciting! We'll be starting around the same time. Maybe August will be a lucky month! :) The neat thing is that I'll probably ovulate around the beginning of the month, which means if we get super lucky on our first cycle, we'll have a birthday baby.... my wife's is 4/16 and mine is 5/7, haha. Not counting on it, but that would be fun :)

I think we're about the same time -- According to FF I should ovulate right at the beginning of August, which is a bit freaky for us as our dating anniversary is August 3rd! That would be amazing to share your birthday -- my grandmother had 8 kids, and 2 sets shared birthdays, quite how that worked out I don't know but it does happen!

Our donor is giving us 4 :thumbup: -- he said because I'm 37, the more the better, which I am so happy with! He's meeting my DH at a nearby hotel, and then hubby will bring 'the goods' home for the insem, so fingers crossed it will all go to plan. How about you?

I think we're about the same time -- According to FF I should ovulate right at the beginning of August, which is a bit freaky for us as our dating anniversary is August 3rd! That would be amazing to share your birthday -- my grandmother had 8 kids, and 2 sets shared birthdays, quite how that worked out I don't know but it does happen!

Our donor is giving us 4 :thumbup: -- he said because I'm 37, the more the better, which I am so happy with! He's meeting my DH at a nearby hotel, and then hubby will bring 'the goods' home for the insem, so fingers crossed it will all go to plan. How about you?

Aww, maybe you'll get an anniversary baby <3 My grandmother had six kids, and two of hers share a birthday, too. And she has one born two days after hers. I love that <3

Four is awesome! We haven't hashed out all of the specifics yet. Our donor is a close friend of ours and works with my wife. I'm going to try for at least three, and I think he'll be game. They work an hour away, so he'll come home with her in the evening (if they're working that day; if not, we'll go to him), do one that night, then one again in the morning... and possibly a day or two after that, as well. Whatever we can work out. Right now, we're just kinda flying by the seat of our pants, haha. After July's cycle, we'll have a better idea of dates, and we can get the details sorted out.

How are you staying sane while you wait?! I feel like a lunatic already! Haha.

Aww, maybe you'll get an anniversary baby <3 My grandmother had six kids, and two of hers share a birthday, too. And she has one born two days after hers. I love that <3

Four is awesome! We haven't hashed out all of the specifics yet. Our donor is a close friend of ours and works with my wife. I'm going to try for at least three, and I think he'll be game. They work an hour away, so he'll come home with her in the evening (if they're working that day; if not, we'll go to him), do one that night, then one again in the morning... and possibly a day or two after that, as well. Whatever we can work out. Right now, we're just kinda flying by the seat of our pants, haha. After July's cycle, we'll have a better idea of dates, and we can get the details sorted out.

How are you staying sane while you wait?! I feel like a lunatic already! Haha.

You're assuming I am sane ;) I guess just trying to keep busy -- charting, temping and reading everything I can to make sure we get it all right passes a lot of the time!! I am doing all I can to try and get my cycle down too -- we got a Clear Blue Fertility Monitor, and I have heard that the first cycle is a bit of a baseline, so that will be done this month, then July is really the 'test' for what's the best days!

I've also downloaded some self-hypnosis for conception too as I know your mental state can really have an impact, so I want to do all I can to be fully physically and mentally 'in the game' if you get me? I'm going to start that tonight when I go to bed, it wasn't expensive so I classify it as a 'can't hurt, might help' thing LOL!

Grapefruit juice works wonders for increasing your cervical mucus. I drink about a quart of it an hour or so before getting a donation. Just get 100% juice. I think the "Simply" brand is wonderful if you are in the US and can get it. Target carries it in my area in the refrigerated juice section.

I'll second that Nimyra! Definitely get yourself some grapefruit juice. I do the same as Nimyra, I buy a big bottle (also kept in the fridge section- seems to go off otherwise). Then I drink maybe 2-3 glasses of it maybe an hour before we BD/AI.

AND... Drum roll please... It never fails!! I often have a little giggle at just how well it works at increasing my CM! It's almost ridiculous!

We finally have crosshairs!!!! As it turns out despite DW being ill, having crazy temps, and missing a few insems....We timed it great. -5, -2,-1, and O. I thought this cycle was a bust but it may just be lucky. I hope I hope I hope.....lucky cycle 14.

good luck leah!

to everyone asking for hints......

i tried to eat as healthily as possible - no aspartame /diet coke/ caffine ect. I also ate as much wholefood goodness as possible - nuts, seeds ect.

the month i fell pregnant was december and i had a very small glass of red wine every night when i insemed. and then i totally let my hair down and enjoyed xmas - and it happened.

as awwwful as it is to say, relaxing helps....

AND ORGASM lol, after insem and the morning after!!! it definately helps you enjoy it more lol

good luck xx

good luck leah!

to everyone asking for hints......

i tried to eat as healthily as possible - no aspartame /diet coke/ caffine ect. I also ate as much wholefood goodness as possible - nuts, seeds ect.

the month i fell pregnant was december and i had a very small glass of red wine every night when i insemed. and then i totally let my hair down and enjoyed xmas - and it happened.

as awwwful as it is to say, relaxing helps....

AND ORGASM lol, after insem and the morning after!!! it definately helps you enjoy it more lol

good luck xx

Good advice from above post.
I drank lots of grapefruit juice and took prenantals for 2 months before trying. I didn't really change my diet tbh.
I got all manor of gadgets inc the fertility monitor but for me it was a waste of money since I never ended up relying on it for timing my ovulation. The opk's and cb digital ov stick were all I really needed tbh but I was stressing that I would somehow miss my ovulation.
I also agree about the orgasm. I did after each of my 2 insems.
Good luck to you all. I keep checking how you ladies are getting on. :flower:

All is well here -- Got my smiley yesterday afternoon and again today around noon.

I got a donation Monday (day before smiley), yesterday (day of first smiley), and I'm heading out soon to get a final donation (day of second smiley) this evening.

I feel great about the timing. I know my chart looks a bit of a mess, but I'm not too concerned. Been having intense ovulation cramps today.

I can't wait to be done with my TTC "work" for the month and be able to just sit back and wait.

For those of you who use preseed, when should I use it in relation to my insem? I usually put it in myself about 30 min to an hour before. Should I wait and do it right before? I use a softcup to keep things up there...

For those of you who use preseed, when should I use it in relation to my insem? I usually put it in myself about 30 min to an hour before. Should I wait and do it right before? I use a softcup to keep things up there...

Dw puts a bit in and around the cup at the time of insem.

Nimyra, I'm really glad things seem to be going well with insems this month, sending lots and lots of baby :dust: your way.

Re pre-seed, at first I used to insert it right before insem which I think I've heard of working but I also read it helps to let it adjust to your body temp so I would insert as quick as I could before meeting the donor, then if he took about 20/25 minutes to do his thing :haha::winkwink: that would be a good amount of time to leave it. I've also heard of it working around the soft cup or in the soft cup too :thumbup: for me, I decreased the amount I was using towards the end cos I'm sure I read somewhere that someone was warned about it diluting the sperm so I used slightly less than I had been; my EWCM was very watery as well due to 2L of water a day so I just didn't want to overdo it with the pre-seed.

Good luck :thumbup:

Hi all! DW is almost halfway through her 2ww. We are really very busy right now and it has been helping to make things fly by. Unfortunately the things that are keeping us busy are also quite stressful. Our vehicle broke down leaving us without transportation. 2 days after that, my phone broke (I need it because I work from home), as a result of the repairs, We are up to our eyeballs in debt and now our entire state is on fire. The wildfire has several of my friends evacuated from their homes and has closed my job due to air quality/fire danger. It has just been one shenanigan after another this week. Even our mechanic works for the city and is on call 24hours due to the fires so the car repairs are going to be delayed. The only silver lining I could really think of besides the obvious like stil having home and health is how amazingly quick the time is passing. lol! The next 4 day have more "fun stuff" happening. Starting tomorrow, I have birthday celebrations happening every night with different friends and family so the next several days should fly by too. Yay!!!

I can't believe I didn't know about the grapefruit juice thing! I never get EWCM, and only a day or so of fertile-ish CM, so I'm looking for ways to help that. Lots of water, some preseed, and now I guess I'll try the grapefruit juice thing. It really helps that quickly? That's amazing. My wife absolutely DETESTS grapefruit. Everything about it. The smell, the taste... haha.

I'll just invest in some mints, too ;)

I can't believe I didn't know about the grapefruit juice thing! I never get EWCM, and only a day or so of fertile-ish CM, so I'm looking for ways to help that. Lots of water, some preseed, and now I guess I'll try the grapefruit juice thing. It really helps that quickly? That's amazing. My wife absolutely DETESTS grapefruit. Everything about it. The smell, the taste... haha.

I'll just invest in some mints, too ;)

Yep I wasn't a fan either... But it has grown on me.. I drink it now thinking of it as medicine! : ) we've done 2 insems so far this week, so I've been gulping down at least 2 glasses of grapefruit juice about 20mins before. I might not like the taste much- but I LOVE it now bcos it works so well! Encourage ur DW to just take a deep breathe and swallow it down as fast as she can... Good luck!

Is there any concern with the grapefruit juice changing the PH and making your CM too acidic? I know you have to be carful when using pineapple core for that reason.

Leah- glad you're okay, I saw the fire on the news and thought about you guys.

Elliottsmum,

I think that can be a concern - although I think it might help folks sway for a girl. I got pregnant twice when using grapefruit juice (and not pregnant some other tries when trying grapefruit juice), so things still worked. I don't think it will overwhelmingly change the ph in just a couple days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->