Constipation issue

stepmum

Oliver's Mummy
Reaction score
Does anyone have any natural remedies I can try for Oliver's constipation?

He's in such discomfort but is on the maximum dosage of lactulose and the consultant and doctors have said that they cannot give him anything because he is too young. I practically begged them for a laxative when he had his check up yesterday but they said no. He goes at the moment probably every 4 days and it is a massive explosion (sorry if tmi) but it's the run up to that 4th day which is so much hard work for him.

For example, he hasn't gone for two days now and today he has not slept, is crying every half an hour and is very unsettled, i'm exhausted trying to get him to nap or at least sit/lie comfortable and hate seeing him straining only to get a clean nappy :nope:

I've tried the boiled water, the brown sugar in the water, the bit of orange juice in the water, massage, warm bath, cycling legs...everything I can think of!

I'm not even sure if the lactulose is working as I don't think the problem is how soft/hard it is, the problem is getting it all out and I think he's backed up.:cry:

My mum suggested I look at if he is allowed syrup of figs???

Hey,

Sorry to hear Oliver is constipated, its awful isnt it! Harry suffered alot with constipation (alot was due to his hernia's) When he was in the NICU, he was really struggling, desating all over the place but then one of the doctors gave him a Glycerin Suppository and it worked amazingly!

Coming home he still had issued and often we would have to chip him at home, the first few times are a bit hard to get in it, but they were the only thing to help him go.

You can buy them at boots x

Hey,

Sorry to hear Oliver is constipated, its awful isnt it! Harry suffered alot with constipation (alot was due to his hernia's) When he was in the NICU, he was really struggling, desating all over the place but then one of the doctors gave him a Glycerin Suppository and it worked amazingly!

Coming home he still had issued and often we would have to chip him at home, the first few times are a bit hard to get in it, but they were the only thing to help him go.

Thanks for the reply, I am sat here refreshing the page and waiting for a reply I am that desperate.

Oliver has a hernia too (an umbilical one) and I am convinced this is contributing to his constipation but the docs say no. What kind of hernias does Harry have?

I'll try the glycerin suppository tomorrow when I can get to Boots. If Harry had one in NICU then it will be safe for Oliver x

Hey,

Thanks for the reply, I am sat here refreshing the page and waiting for a reply I am that desperate.

Oliver has a hernia too (an umbilical one) and I am convinced this is contributing to his constipation but the docs say no. What kind of hernias does Harry have?

I'll try the glycerin suppository tomorrow when I can get to Boots. If Harry had one in NICU then it will be safe for Oliver x

Oh dont worry, they told us that Harry's problems had nothing to do with his hernia's but once he had the op, he never had any problem going to the toilet!!!!

Harry has an unbillical one and 4 inguina hernia's, the inguina ones were operated on last november and the umbilical one sorted its self out not long after the surgery.

Harry has them at the level 3 hospital so he would have been under 5 weeks old so i cant see it being any problem x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->