Constipation

caz_hills

Reaction score
My 7 month old has just dropped a bottle so now we are on 4 x 7 oz bottles a day. She is weaning and having small ish meals three times a day - eating really what my 5.5 year old has but mashed up with formula mixed in. She usually only does a poo every other day but today was 'poo day' (!) and she strained for ages on two occasions and only passed small, hard ish (but not really hard) lumps about the size of a 50 pence piece.

Today she has had three meals plus the bottles and I've tried to give her cooled boiled water as well to help.

Any advice? I'm sure this is normal with weaning but I don't want it to continue. We are giving her fruit and veg as we eat a lot of that but I know she has lost maybe 180 ml of liquid.

Thanks x

I think some part of it is normal as her tummy will be adjusting to having more food . I do know that when we weaned DD1 constipation became a big issue with us up until last year .

Maybe give her some prune juice daily to keep her regular or ask your GP for movicol or something similar she could take to avoid any on going issues .

Can we give prune juice? How would i give that?

I was told by my GP to give DD1 it when we were weaning just add to cool boiled water

If only use a drop first to see how she reacts. If not try apple juice . Maybe ring your HV and see what they recommend.

I was told by my GP to give DD1 it when we were weaning just add to cool boiled water

If only use a drop first to see how she reacts. If not try apple juice . Maybe ring your HV and see what they recommend.

Thanks. Just tried the HV but they are not available so hopefully they will call me back. I've tried giving her cooled boiled water as well but she can't take much from the sippy. Should I water down her formula (so say 8 oz water, 6 scoops of powder) to see if that helps?

I am not too sure to be honest about watering down feeds if that's recommended etc . Hopefully your HV has got back to you by now!

Hope LO is ok sorry can't help more ! X

We went through this at a similar age and he didn't poo for a week! We ended up at the out of hours and giving him Movicol to get things moving. We were advised not to water down formula but to make sure he was drinking plenty and they suggested apple juice. Once the Movicol had cleared things we just made sure he was offered water often through the day, and increased his fruit & veg intake. All fine now at 11 months though we do still occasionally get the odd hard poo

My daughter is 6 and a half months and has been constipated with weaning so I read some advice to give her either chopped up prunes in her porridge or weetabix or to get the Ella's kitchen pouches of puree as they do the prune one. Well we did that once and OMG the next day what an explosion lol I gave her it for 3 days and she has pood everyday and has been a lot! I put some in her breakfast and gave her some off the spoon. She has been so much better in herself and she likes the prune puree anyway plus it's really good for them so bonus! I'm. Going to keep giving it to her every few days to keep her regular x

After introducing solids my 4m old son had similar issues with severe constipation and gassiness. We were being advised with Babies magic tea. Mix one oz tea in 8oz formula and feed twice to your LO.

Yeh tea isn't good for them tho if you mean actual tea with caffeine I'm? , try prune puree or prunes next time they work a treat and are classed as one of your 5 a day! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->