Contraception

Mummy Bean

Parker & Dougs Mum
Reaction score
What do you ladies use?

I was sold on the implant but after just reading some reviews it sounds horrifying.

I 80% sure were done having kids so I want some thing long term which at the end of one of us will get steralised.

The implant is an odd one. I had it and bled for 18 months...took that long for the Doc to finally put in the referral to get it removed.

But I know people to be perfectly fine with it.

I have been on the depo in the past with no major side effects...

Copper coil.

Pros:

- no hormones (I don't do well with artificial hormones, and worry about long term effects, not just on fertility)
- don't have to think about it
- I get my usual monthly periods, I personally like to feel "normal" and know everything is ok.

Cons:

- insertion can be uncomfortable
- yearly checks
- heavy periods to start but settle down after a few months (it's not recommended if you have heavy periods)

Best contraception I've been on, had it between the boys, had it removed and fell pregnant within a week, have it back in now will either have it removed for a third or keep it in for near to 10 years when hubby will be snipped.

I used the injection and had weight gain and bleeding etc at the start but was fine I stopped as I didn't get periods and I wants fertility back for when/if me and oh ttc

Another vote for the copper coil. I've had 2 in now and never hand any issues with either of them. Gonna get another fitted next week as I'm also done having babies :)

I have the implant and I'm going to have it removed soon, I've put on loads of weight with it that I'm really struggling to shift. Gunna try the copper coil as that seems like the best option for me, especially as it's hormone free, just the insertion that's putting me off!

I have the implant and I'm going to have it removed soon, I've put on loads of weight with it that I'm really struggling to shift. Gunna try the copper coil as that seems like the best option for me, especially as it's hormone free, just the insertion that's putting me off!

Take some paracetemol half an hour before insertion :flower:

Copper coil.

Pros:

- no hormones (I don't do well with artificial hormones, and worry about long term effects, not just on fertility)
- don't have to think about it
- I get my usual monthly periods, I personally like to feel "normal" and know everything is ok.

Cons:

- insertion can be uncomfortable
- yearly checks
- heavy periods to start but settle down after a few months (it's not recommended if you have heavy periods)

Best contraception I've been on, had it between the boys, had it removed and fell pregnant within a week, have it back in now will either have it removed for a third or keep it in for near to 10 years when hubby will be snipped.

I think you sold me on the coil for the exact same reasons (I also personally like the idea of real periods so I know everything is good) booked in for it to b fitted in a couple of weeks (have had to wait agggesss!)

Copper coil, it's fantastic! I wished I'd got it years ago to be honest. My doctors don't do yearly checks, it's every 5 years here x

I've got mirena coil. Had it a couple of months - period at moment is very very light, guess it may disappear totally. It was pretty unpleasant when inserted but not horrific. I had awful side effects from mini pill so was a little worried about the hormones in it but they've not affected me in the same way.

We were just using condoms prior to TTC and between DD and this pregnancy. I really don't get on well with artificial hormones. However, we always used condoms with the view that if we got pregnant we would be able to cope. After this baby we won't want another child for some time so I need something a little more reassuring. Thanks for all the info on the copper coil, I will definitely be looking into it.

I have the implant ATM but looking into getting the coil. As my periods are very irregular and skin is awful.n

Interesting thread as I've been wondering about what to get since DD2 was born. I had Cerazette briefly after DD1 and had horrid skin and constant bleeding, so don't want to do that again, but keep hearing such mixed reviews about the coil? We're most likely done having kids and definitely don't want one any time soon, but would still like to keep the option there.

Does anyone know if the coil will bring AF on if it hasn't returned otherwise? Only I haven't had one yet and would like to keep it that way for a while longer. With DD1 AF only returned around 22 months pp apart from the few weeks of bleeding I had when taking Cerazette around 8 weeks pp, but I don't want to rely on that alone for contraception either.

I have tried loads and honestly I think I am going to stick with condoms when I'm finally allowed my implant out in November. A close second would be Gedarel 20/150 which is the pill I'm on as well as my implant. Side effects just seem to be moodiness and sore boobs which is reasonable enough.

I've got on great wth my implant. I've hardly had a period due to either my implant/pregnancy since 2010!

The only thing is how badly I bruise when having it put in/out. I have to keep my arms covered for a few weeks.

Interesting that some people have mentioned issues getting them out. My dr said just say that it isn't working or I don't want it any more and they will remove it no issues.

I have the Mirena. No complaints so far.

Interesting thread as I've been wondering about what to get since DD2 was born. I had Cerazette briefly after DD1 and had horrid skin and constant bleeding, so don't want to do that again, but keep hearing such mixed reviews about the coil? We're most likely done having kids and definitely don't want one any time soon, but would still like to keep the option there.

Does anyone know if the coil will bring AF on if it hasn't returned otherwise? Only I haven't had one yet and would like to keep it that way for a while longer. With DD1 AF only returned around 22 months pp apart from the few weeks of bleeding I had when taking Cerazette around 8 weeks pp, but I don't want to rely on that alone for contraception either.

If you go for the copper coil it shouldn't do anything to bring on periods, cause or stop bleeding, it doesn't interfere with cycles except potentially making them heavier which was temporary for me I had the coil put in 6 months PP with DS1 and my period returned 2 weeks after stopping BF in the day around 8 months. I had it put back in 8 weeks PP this time around and still not AF at 4 months. I fell pregnant within a week of having it removed so it did a good job of preventing pregnancy but not affecting my fertility afterwards.

please AVOID depo if your not finished having children plus list of side effects are endless.

I had implant hated it.

pill was fine once finding right one.
mini pill cerazette was fine for me bo idea what to use when this baby arrives. x

I had the mirena coil after having my daughter and although it suited me in terms of a form of contraception and my periods more or less awful, once I had it removed I felt so much better-more energy, lost weight, skin improved.
It only took one cycle of trying to fall pregnant again after having it removed (did wait a couple of months after having it removed for my cycles to regulate)
This time I think I'll go for the copper coil without any hormonal component as I think it affected me in a similar way to the pill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->