Contract Phone?

monkee12

Reaction score
At what age would you allow your child to have a contract phone (in your name obviously lol) x

I am not sure for my family personally but I've seen people do it as young as 8-10 years.

When they start secondary school (so 11/12). I wouldn’t allow any phone before that, and I would want a contract phone so I know they can always get in touch if needs be. But with the proviso if they use over their limits (Data most likely) then they pay for it.

My daughter is 8 and has had one for a year, but I'm planning on going pay as you go once it ends, and just topping it up for minutes when she needs it, she doesn't get her moneys worth tbh and she's on it all day:haha:

No way are mine having one before secondary school, who would they call anyway lol. They are constantly on some sort of screen or another already as it is, if I don't put my foot down firmly. It's a battle every day.

I'm probably going to end up giving my oldest daughter a phone when she is 10. I'm not 100% on this decision yet because she's only 6 years old right now but half the time her and her sister are at their dad's house. I want them to have a way that they can call me when they need to. I'll probably end up getting her a free phone with unlimited minutes and data. Most of the time at least here in the US it's cheaper just to get unlimited everything.

I would never expect her to pay anything back if she went over the limit (if I were to restrict how much she uses), not until she's at least 15 or 16 years old. You can'f even get a part time job in secondary school.

I'd say probably 11 although I don't see why she would need one apart from to call me.

I do think that if your kids have two households then getting them one a bit earlier is a good idea so they can call the other parent etc.

My son (age 7) has a watch with a sim card in it but the sim card is pay as you go, he gets so many free mins for 6 pounds a month and also free data and texts but he doesn't have the facility to use these. The purpose of his watch is so that he can get hold of me at all times if he is playing out (he only plays where I can see him) or if he is at a friend's or relatives house.

He has asked me for a phone numerous times but I don't feel he is responsible enough to look after one at the moment. I think once he starts high school I will get him a mobile but stick with a pay as you go sim where you get free texts etc each month.

My mum made the mistake of getting my brother a contract phone years ago and he was constantly running up big bills so I wouldn't get a contract for that reason. I think some providers do cap bills if requested though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->