• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Corn Syrup as First Ingredient?

redneckhippy

Reaction score
I received a sample box from Enfamil which has two containers of forumla. One is just "newborn" and the other one is "gentlease." I'm looking at the ingredients, and the ingredients for the Newborn one seems pretty straight forward with milk being the first ingredient, then lactos, oil, etc, nothing too crazy. But on the "gentlease" the first ingredient is corn syrup!! I don't even see corn syrup listed at all on the other bottle. Can anyone explain why the ingredients are so different?? Also, can you only give newborn formula to a newborn or would it be ok for a bit older baby? Thanks!

Corn syrup is supposed to help for constipation so I think this is why it's in the gentle ease formula ... I think! I don't think in the UK we have corn syrup in formula. I could be wrong (likely)

The equivalent we have here of gentle formulas are called comfort formulas and typically given to windy or constipated babies.

First/newborn milk can be used for the first year (or longer even) until you wean onto another milk ... cow, nut milks or whatever you may choose at the time.

I never heard of corn syrup helping constipation...does it work on pregnant ladies? lol

I've read of pregnant women chugging it to induce labour so probably not the best idea! :haha:

I just researched this bc my lo was not tolerating enfamil newborn...very painful gas....we found that most gentle formulas for gas include corn syrup...I did not want to feed baby sugar
Finally found one for gassy babies that excluded it ..Gerber good start gentle....gas pains soo much better
The main ingredient in regular formula is lactose.. but for some it's hard to digest so the use hydrolysed proteins that are easier for sensitive tummies. Gentle versions use less lactose and replace with easier to digest carbohydrate(corn syrup) note this is different from high fructose corn syrup

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->