costco - any good?

xcharx

Reaction score
:hi: everyone!!

Me & OH are signing up to Costco Friday, is it any good?
Were going to the Milton keynes one,anyone ever been to this one?
X

We love our one up here - it's fab for bulk buying x

We get alot of stuff from there, just be careful because some of the stuff isn't cheaper than supermarkets.

Yeh I actually went today to my local one.
Their stuff is good - some bits aren't that much cheaper than supermarket brands.

Their bakery products are good - you can pick 12 pain au chocolat up for about £3.50 and they are soooo nice!

They normally have an offers book on the door like £1.50 off chicken breasts etc. So be sure to check that out :)

I loooooooove costco! I get a mahoosive tub of options hot chocolate - about the size of 4 regular jars - for just over £4! They do amazing cakes and pastries, and if you are having a party then it's ideal. We also get our fairy washpowder and softner from there - although the powder has just gone up, they are both quite often on offer.

They normally have an offers book on the door like £1.50 off chicken breasts etc. So be sure to check that out :)

We get the offer book through the door - it looks like money off coupons but you don't need to hand them in at the checkout, they scan a barcode and it takes the discount off automatically xx

i love it but it doesnt save me money as I spend on things like their roast chickens, cakes, muffins, danishes, fresh fruit etc they do carters kids clothes which are sometimes adorable, and they do good books and dvds. I always get their toilet rolls as they often do 40 rolls of triple velvet for just over £10 :thumbup:

I've never been costco I thought it was only for businesses?
We used to go makro's but think thats changed to businesses now havnt been in a while also cash and carry

To join Costco you either have to run a business, be self employed or work for any company full time-so basically most working people can join it. Our local branch is rubbish though that's why we didn't bother renewing our membership as the next nearest one is in Croydon

We use costco, its got some really good stuff and having 4 kids we bulk buy lol. Bit miffed at having to pay $100 for membership though:flower:

I've checked it out, but I'm not that impressed.
There are a handful of good deals, but I get cheaper and better quality at my local grocery store.
My attitude towards Costco is summed up by the spoof the Simpsons did on it several years ago. Marge was wandering through one and held up this huge box and said, "Oh my! That is a good price for 12 lbs of nutmeg!". I found it really funny because it's true - the best deals seem to be these gigantic quantities of obscure items. :shrug:
Lots of people swear by it, but I can't figure out the appeal. If you enjoy it and it works for your budget, go for it, though! :flower:

Well I have said to my OH we need another freezer because our fridge freeze only has 2&1/2 draws so were not really going to beable to take full advantage of the deals.. I do need loo roll though :haha:

If you go onto there website it'll tell you what job/career you need to do to join!

I never realised they did clothes too.. gota feeling my bank cards gna take a beating when we go :dohh:
X

Not sure about in the uk but here they have awesome meat, and there freezer section is really nice! I love the clothes!

I've checked it out, but I'm not that impressed.
There are a handful of good deals, but I get cheaper and better quality at my local grocery store.
My attitude towards Costco is summed up by the spoof the Simpsons did on it several years ago. Marge was wandering through one and held up this huge box and said, "Oh my! That is a good price for 12 lbs of nutmeg!". I found it really funny because it's true - the best deals seem to be these gigantic quantities of obscure items. :shrug:
Lots of people swear by it, but I can't figure out the appeal. If you enjoy it and it works for your budget, go for it, though! :flower:

:shrug: it is a wholeseller... thats kinda the idea!

As mentioned in some of the other posts its great for some stuff, not so great for others.

For me personally I don't find that the stuff that its "great for" ends up being worth the cost of the annual membership so I simply don't bother. The 12lbs of nutmeg is a great example LOL That being said, when I'm buying currently I am buying for 1. That is soon going to change to me buying for 3, potentially 4 if my OH's daughter decides to move in with us. That in itself would quite likely make some things worth the membership fee.

Things that I -would- go to Costco for?
Toilet paper

...stuff like flats of pasta sauce, while I certainly have no problem buying 12 tins of it at once, out of the 12 tins, there's usually only 3 or 4 that I would normally be buying in the grocery store. I am pretty picky with my pasta sauce so I don't see the point in saving a few cents to end up with lots of sauce I won't use?

VERY good for prescriptions/multi-vitamins, etc if your costco has the pharmacy included. I'm never sick though so I never am buying that stuff, I just know my mom uses it for my grandma's prescriptions a lot.

Selection wise Costco "seems" impressive on the outside but in reality lacks a lot of selections... (eg electronics, hardware... etc)

As mentioned in some of the other posts its great for some stuff, not so great for others.

For me personally I don't find that the stuff that its "great for" ends up being worth the cost of the annual membership so I simply don't bother. The 12lbs of nutmeg is a great example LOL That being said, when I'm buying currently I am buying for 1. That is soon going to change to me buying for 3, potentially 4 if my OH's daughter decides to move in with us. That in itself would quite likely make some things worth the membership fee.

Things that I -would- go to Costco for?
Toilet paper

...stuff like flats of pasta sauce, while I certainly have no problem buying 12 tins of it at once, out of the 12 tins, there's usually only 3 or 4 that I would normally be buying in the grocery store. I am pretty picky with my pasta sauce so I don't see the point in saving a few cents to end up with lots of sauce I won't use?

VERY good for prescriptions/multi-vitamins, etc if your costco has the pharmacy included. I'm never sick though so I never am buying that stuff, I just know my mom uses it for my grandma's prescriptions a lot.

Selection wise Costco "seems" impressive on the outside but in reality lacks a lot of selections... (eg electronics, hardware... etc)

costco over here has electronic and hardware, they sell wheel chairs, push chairs and everything you could get in any other shop.

think people forget its mainly aimed for trade and bulk buying, not just a regular shop :shrug:

Oh I didn't know that I might get OH to sign up then is there a fee?

costco over here has electronic and hardware, they sell wheel chairs, push chairs and everything you could get in any other shop.

Our Costco's have the electronics and hardware as well but the selection (choices) isn't very good

For instance, a friend wanted a good deal on a new kitchen faucet -- we figured Costco would have some good prices, well they only had 3 options of kitchen faucets to choose from and not very good prices either. Other stores (Home Depot, Canadian Tire, etc) have selections of 50+ types of faucets and a wide array of prices and styles within that to choose from.

I also wanted to buy a new coffee maker and thought perhaps Costco would have some good deals... they had about 5 coffee makers to choose from whereas Wal-Mart, Canadian Tire, London Drugs, Zellers, Etc etc (other department stores) all had a MUCH bigger selection to choose from.

That's what I meant when I said selection wasn't as good as it appeared on the outside. :) Hope that helps clarify.

Oh I didn't know that I might get OH to sign up then is there a fee?

yeah, £30 odd a year BUT take a friend with you as you get 2 people on 1 membership so you only need to pay half the fee each.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->