cot wont fit in our room...

kmh2009

Reaction score
Zach is getting too big for his moses basket and needs to be moved to his cot. However, his cot wont fit in our bedroom and all the guidelines say to keep the baby in your room until 6 months old to reduce cot death. So i dont know what to do.....:cry:

those guidelines change every 6 months!

we put harry in his own room around 9 weeks old because he grew out of his crib.

we havea tommie tippie sensory mat that goes under his matress and flashes a light every time he breathes and sends off an alarm if there is no registered "movement" for 20 seconds, so it gives you peace of mind when they are not in your room. if your lo needs to move, then move them...they will be fine!!!!

I totally understand your desire to follow the guidelines. Many people (self included)choose to have their LO in a different room from earlier than 6 months though so it's not unchartered territory. Does you LO meet many of the risk factors for SIDS?

If you def want LO in your room, a crib is between moses basket and cot in size.

Lx

It's only a guideline and it doesn't seem as if you have much choice :shrug: He'll be fine, you can keep a monitor on all night, that's what I do.

It's only a guideline and it doesn't seem as if you have much choice :shrug: He'll be fine, you can keep a monitor on all night, that's what I do.

I have to second this, guidlines arent everything...

You should maybe try moving him into his own room?

i understand that they are just guidelines. he doesnt hit many of the risk factors. im just scared that if he does go to his own room and something happens then i will blame myself. on the other hand, i put him in his own room for daytime naps....so completely contradict my fears...

Yeah don't worry, we moved Lylah into her own room at 5 months. We jst have the monitor on loud so we can hear her breathing etc
xxx

i understand that they are just guidelines. he doesnt hit many of the risk factors. im just scared that if he does go to his own room and something happens then i will blame myself. on the other hand, i put him in his own room for daytime naps....so completely contradict my fears...

Can I just say you will blame youself anyway whether he was in your room his room his pram his carseat, it can happen anywhere. Your his mum and you have to do what you think is right! Get a sensor mat and monitor to give you peace of mind, and check on him regularly as you would do if he was next to you in your room. :hugs: xxx

We're going to face this problem before 6 months I think and I've decided to move him at 13 weeks because at 12 weeks we're visiting relatives so I don't want to confuse him by putting him in his travel nest for 2 nights when we've just got the hang of the cot. Also, my husband is away for 6 weeks after 13/14weeks so I can be up and down all night without disturbing him. I think you just have to do it when it's right for you.

Holly has been in her own room since i got home from hospital as i couldnt sleepwhile shewas next too me, its up to u hun... I do question those guidelines anyway, surely it doesnt matter which room they are in as long as u can hear themand get to them easily!

As already said they are guidelines and I agree with Hayley. Howver if you really want the cot in with you could you move furniture out. We ended up with most of our furniture in the nursery and the bed wedged between the wall and the cot so the only way into bed was to crawl from the bottom. Not the best situation but it meant that i had him close at hand. We moved him into his own room last week

We moved Aisling into her own room at about 7 weeks old for the same reason. We had bought a smaller swinging crib when she grew out of her moses basket which theoretically would have meant she could have stayed in our room til 6 months but she absolutely hated it! :dohh:

I was really worried about her being in her own room until we bought a sensor mat and monitor so I know she's breathing. Maybe get a crib if you'd really like her to still be in your room, otherwise the movement monitor. To be honest, we've all slept better since she's been in her own room :hugs:

We moved Euan into his own room at 11 weeks as he'd outgrown his moses basket and there was no way we'd would have gotten his cotbed into our room. He loves it, loads of room in his cot to stretch out and he sleeps so soundly. We've got a video monitor so we can see and hear him which is very reassuring - mind you I do spend half the night just watching him sleep!!!

Just do what you feel is right for you :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->