cough mixture?

teeny-j

Reaction score
is it ok to take cough mixture or would you advice against it?
i know they all say to consult your doctor before taking anything but just wondering what your thoughts were. i bought a bottle of pholodine linctus from boots today and have taken a small spoonful.

I had a really bad cough christmas time and the chemist advised againist it, theres alcohol in them and otherstuff, In the end I had childs cough mix tixy lix

i never thought about that! might have to go buy some.
i have such a bad cough. keep waking up at night, oh says hes sleeping on the sofa tonight cause i'm waking him up too.

try hot water, lemon and honey. ive seen a few girls on here say they used it for a cough and it worked wonders.

I've been wondering exactly the same! I've had a terrible cough for the past few days. I had covonia (which says to ask your pharmacist, but it was over easter so I didn't) and i've also had a few lemsips (think they're ok as paracetamol, just says to ask your pharmacist again). I couldn't suffer anymore. Last night and today i've been having honey and lemon and that has helped sooth my throat a lot but the cough is still very annoying - I use approx 2tbsp of lemon and about 1 1/2 tbsp of honey with boiling water and that seems to be a pretty nice taste and does the job. How about some cough sweets as well? like halls soothers?

Is Tixylix ok to take then? as I did consider that..?

If you read the label of the Boots linctus it actually states you can take it when pregnant and give it to young babies. I have and done and all it does is soothe your throat. You can't take the other types because it has stuff in it that reduces the baby's breathing. You can also take lockets and soothers as well.

on the lable of the bottle i have it says not to take without talking to gp. might be different kinds of linctus.

https://www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/st...01&callingViewName=&langId=-1&catalogId=11051

Thats the one you can take :)

I was wondering about this too.

Last week had full on temperature/flu which is so rare with veggie hubby normally warding all these things off with his wonderfull cooking. But I think your immune system must be reduced in the arly stages?

Anyway, I'm now very chesty and wheezing like and old hog. *I* slept on the sofa last night, because it was more comfy being all propped up with cushions ;)

I asked in boots and they said the only thing i could take was glyceryn and i was not to take anything else unless prescribed by a doctor. I went to see a doctor who would not give me anything either that was towards the end of 1st tri tho, 2nd tri might be different.

I asked in boots today and was told you can take the one already suggested by NatalieW, apart from the fact that the one I bought was honey and lemon and it only soothes. But to be honest, thats all I wanted it to do so I bought a bottle.

Does anyone know if Lemsip is ok as I took 2 of those whilst I was feeling terrible??

I don't think Lemsip is ok, but I am not totally certain...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->