Could vitamins cause constipation?

AngelofTroy

Reaction score
Micah has never suffered with constipation before, but the last couple of weeks he's only been having a bowel movement every 2 days instead of his usual once or twice a day, and he's started complaining of a sore tummy before he poos. His diet hasn't changed, but he has started having a dose of Abidec vitamins every day as recommended by a pharmacist despite his varied diet.

He eats at least 3 pieces of fruit a day and always has water available.

Here are a couple of examples of his diet:

B: a slice of toast with peanut butter and an orange
S: cup of milk (with vitamins in) a few dry shredded wheats and 2 dates.
L: 2 mini cheese and onion scones, pepper strips and carrot sticks
S: a pear
D: A small baked sweet potato with hummus, peas, sweetcorn and carrots. Another cup of milk and 2 dried figs

B: onion bagel with butter and a satsuma. A cup of milk (with vitamins in).
L: 4 omelette bites (made 6 from 2 eggs, half a courgette and half a small leek) 3 cherry tomatoes and half a rice cake with a slice of Camembert cheese.
S: an apple
D: curried lentils, onions, carrots and peas topped with butternut squash and cheese. Milk.

Any suggestions as to what could be causing it? Should I try stopping the vitamins or is it likely to be unrelated?

I believe iron can cause constipation but I wouldn't think there would be such a high dose of it in a multi vitamin? If he's already getting enough iron from food then perhaps the iron in the vitamin is causing it?

Yeah I was going to say iron too if they are in the vitamins. If so you can just look for some without it. If that doesn't work maybe cut out cheese for awhile, but his diet looks good to me.

No expertise or experience but yes a couple of friends from "real life" as it were haha both told me that they gave vit d supplements and it happened to their children x

It happens to me with any vitamin I take.. Iron, forget it :wacko: it takes me 2 days to get a pebble out :sick:

I fully believe it can happen to some people with any vitamin ( especially me) so why not babies also?

Hope your little one feels better :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->