Could we use it?!

pippi_89

3 babies + 1 angel
Reaction score
Before I start, no judging please! :blush:

We are still wtt for #4 but the other day we were talking about names and OH mentioned he liked Rebecca. I really love this name and always have but.....

(This is where the no judging comes in! We were 18 and stupid!)

We were 'best friends' when I got pregnant with #1 and he was seeing someone else at the time. Her name was Bex, short for Rebecca. It was never serious with her but she obviously didn't take the situation well.

He didn't put two and two together with the name until I pointed it out and after I did he said it was off the table. I do still really love the name though, I like Rebecca and I like nn Becca but I really wouldn't like her being called Bex, which would probably happen at some point. But, other than past situations it is a perfect name. We both like it and it fit well with our other children's names.

Is it worth still considering or would you just put it off the table completely?

Originally, I was going to say "Why not?!" but then I started thinking about how I would feel to use the name of my husband's ex. Or if we were to use the name of one of my exes. I don't think I could do it. I'd feel really uncomfortable the whole time even if it was a name I really loved.

If it doesn't bother you or your partner, then go for it. That's more important than anyone else's opinion.

Hmm, I would personally HATE the idea of naming my baby the name of my OHs ex. But - if it doesn't bother you - I see no reason not to use it. I think Rebecca, nn. Becca is pretty. I've never heard of anyone being called "Bex" so I think it's def avoidable that your baby not be called that as a nickname.

I am Rebecca, and I have never been called Bex/Becks that I'm aware of...So you can definitely avoid that connection.

I can't say much else about the name, as I love it :haha:

I would respect his thoughts on naming after an ex though...If the tables were turned how would you feel? I personally think it can work so long as they weren't super involved or long-lasting relationship type thing...But that's just me.

I really would take it completely off the table, BUT we take off anything that we know anyone with the name, even acquaintances' kids.

It would be different if he had been in a long term, committed relationship with this girl, but it's obvious that he wasn't serious with her if you conceived while he was still with her (no judgements- just saying).

If you both love the name, and can make it your own without always thinking of her when you say it, then why not?

If you really like the name go for it! I've never heard the nickname Bex for Rebecca. My story: I got pregnant with my ex and left him at probably 6 months. When I found out it was a boy I knew his first name would be Nicholas but I was stuck between Christopher and Michael for a middle name. Even though I had an uncle that sexually abused me when I was a kid, and his name was Chris, I still chose Christopher. A year later I met my now Husband and guess what his name it. Chris. He plans to adopt my son (my daughter's father would never sign papers to terminate parental rights so I'd just change her last name if she wants to) and they will have the same name. If you really like that name than choose it!

You can defiantly avoid nicknaming her 'Bex'.
I like Rebecca and Becca is nice shortened as well.

I have a friend called Rebecca and she gets called Bex, she doesn't mind.
Calling her Becca as her nickname from a young age might help get rid of people calling her Bex.

Thanks everyone. Usually I would be totally against using ex's names but I really love this one. It's something to think about I suppose.

I wouldn't! My cousin is called Cathryn, and her dad's ex wife had the same name, I find it really odd to be honest!

I wouldn't necessarily automatically rule out an ex's name, if it wasn't a serious relationship. I would, however, rule out any name DH was really uncomfortable with, and it sounds like he's really uncomfortable naming his daughter for his ex. Maybe we can help you come up with some similar names and you'll find something else you love.

Yeah, I mentioned it again and he said definitely not so Rebecca is out :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->