Could you have a peak at this idea for me please :) Pics added post #7 and 27

Shabutie

Mum to Amara & #2 on way
Reaction score
Evening everyone,

I have started sewing/making felt food ready for Amara's play kitchen on her birthday and so many people have mentioned how fab they are, and how I should make and sell them to earn myself a little extra money. I posted pics on my facebook of them, and a couple of people said their children would love them etc.

So I just wanted to gain an insight into it really.

Would you buy felt food for your child?

Items I have made so far include a carton of milk, strawberries, cookies, bananas, button mushrooms, loaf of bread, carrots etc but have a whole list of things I want to make for Amara like, carton or orange juice, grapes, blueberries, watermelon, potatos etc.

Could you see it as a sustainable 'business'?

I was thinking of selling in bundles like a fruit bundle, veg bundle, meat bundle and then selling individual items too.

Your input would be apprachiated alot.

TIA

Personally, yes i'd buy them for my boys. One of my LO's is very into cooking, and he loves to play chef. And he always asks when can we make cake, or cookies and always wants to help with dinner. The twins have a playhouse, which has a kitchen part and he loves to 'cook' for everyone. So yes, i'd buy them for use in their playhouse! Very creative idea btw xx

awww they sound cute :) In fact my 9 year old would probably like them just as decorations as a crafty thing :) As a toddler she would have LOVED to play/cook with them

But yes :) Pics please

Yep I would buy something like that for willow. The only thing I'd say is would they be chewable without bits of fabric/fibres coming off? And would they be washable?
(wonder who's got the "I put everything in my mouth" baby! :coffee: )

What a lovely idea.
you would need to conform to the correct standards, be registered with IR and have insurance. manufacture of toys is covered by a lot of legalities even for the handmaker: Insurance will not cover you in the event of a claim if you do not meet the standards required.

https://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?itemId=1084613436&type=RESOURCES

https://www.bis.gov.uk/files/file11286.pdf

https://oddsandsoxlets.co.uk/handmade-toys-ce-marking/

This is the link to get your toys certified:
https://www.conformance.co.uk/shop/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29798

Yes, sorry ladies, Here are some pics. Some things need working on ie. shape/size of bananas but that can be sorted as I work through Amara's bits.

551874_10150843878357037_1863703402_n.jpg

559367_10150848059097037_1482490687_n.jpg

35533_10150845017237037_1771718061_n.jpg

398204_10150848042022037_2018683648_n.jpg

564306_10150848274997037_871267446_n.jpg

385743_10150848274427037_1795463280_n.jpg

Yep I would buy something like that for willow. The only thing I'd say is would they be chewable without bits of fabric/fibres coming off? And would they be washable?
(wonder who's got the "I put everything in my mouth" baby! :coffee: )

I guess fibres would come away, with it being felt. They wouldnt be intended as chewable toys, although this can be so hard to keep anything out of babies/toddlers mouths.

With washing... I havent actually tried. I dont see why not. It would be like any other toy we have washed. We put it in a pillow case. Something to test out for sure though :)

I LOVE these, so much nicer than anything else I've seen. I guess as long as you follow regulations etc I think these could be a winner! Have you got any independent children's shops near you or craft shops? Maybe take a few samples and get some business cards done up? Or even the local sure start centres? Best of luck

I LOVE these, so much nicer than anything else I've seen. I guess as long as you follow regulations etc I think these could be a winner! Have you got any independent children's shops near you or craft shops? Maybe take a few samples and get some business cards done up? Or even the local sure start centres? Best of luck

No we dont :( And the only crafty shop we have is Hobby Craft :dohh: But we do have quite a few surestart centres nearby so worth a look into, thank you. And business cards are a fab idea.. I think I have come up with a name, but Im probably running before I can walk :haha:

They're beautiful! My four year old sister would adore them to be honest. :) I would buy them yes. ! x

Create a Facebook Selling page, and an Ebay shop. Start somewhere :) x

But it appears they all need safety testing and Ce marks and would be more then I could afford, but hows does everyone else manage to sell I wonder. I really hoped this would work, but think it's all falling at the first hurdle! :(

But it appears they all need safety testing and Ce marks and would be more then I could afford, but hows does everyone else manage to sell I wonder. I really hoped this would work, but think it's all falling at the first hurdle! :(

Most businesses need capital investment to start with. Once you have done that, then you can get out there recoup your money and start raking it in. You have ladies on here who are expressing interest.
you could start with a salad pack, get that up and running and then do a dairy pack.

I started my business with £100 and built up from there.

You could pop over to
https://www.craftsforum.co.uk/
lots of us on there can give you the advice you need.

Thanks Creative... I would have the money to buy the products needed to make, it's just I wasnt sure if I am able to sell without the toys going through the regulations thats all.

Thanks Creative... I would have the money to buy the products needed to make, it's just I wasnt sure if I am able to sell without the toys going through the regulations thats all.

not legally

Thats my issue then... but I am guessing people dont go through them then...

I think they are fantastic! The attention to detail is brilliant! xxx

Thats my issue then... but I am guessing people dont go through them then...

that's correct, but they leave themselves wide open to prosecution from trading standards, inland revenue and the courts. Making products for children is so heavily legalised because children do not have the sense of adults. They investigate things by taste (are dyes toxic) do the colours run? Is the fibre going to dislodge and block a windpipe?
There was another thread on here a few days ago about someone who was making bibs that were deamed unsafe. And some people were hinting that the rules could be ignored, but imagine ignoring the and something going wrong with someone elses child.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->