council houses and waiting times

smileyfaces

Reaction score
Just very curious to see how it varies across different boroughs really!

What band are you in/how many points do you have?

How long have you waited so far/how long did wait for your house?

Which council are you with? (You can just give an indication to location eg north west if you dont want to say which council!)

:flower:

My mother was in overcrowding from 1993 so her priority date started from then, she only became short listed from 2005 times and just got a 4 bed flat in November last year! This is north london! They don't do bands but she had over 1000 points x

Are you on a waiting list?

It took us three years on the list to get our place however we had to accept a flat and move outside of the borough, houses within the borough we had no chance of getting. We had what that council classed as one priority need which was overcrowding. This is in London. Xx

Bristol.

Band 4 for 2.5 years moved up to Band 2 in September 2012 and got a beautiful new build house 8 weeks later. We moved up priority due to overcrowding

We were also on the north somerset list in Band C, still on there now (although not bidding) and have been for 3 years with no offers at all.

I am in band B ( we only have a b and c) and have just been awarded additional points to make us urgent priority although still in band b. Band a is literally just for very select few people, criteria is tight!!

Cant believe it took 20yrs for your mum babyjan!! Thats insane!

Band b is usually quite good where I live (west london, I moved from north london)
Most people on band bs get housed quickly! Bands A are usually people with medical problems etc..

Yep with my mother we was in tiny 3 bed flat with 9 people, she was viewing properties from 2006 onwards but whenever they are good houses she will come number 6 and sometimes not get called for viewing but she is very happy with her house now, lovely and spacious.

I was in band B with the highest amount of points and I was bidding for 2 weeks before being offered a house which we accepted (in a quiet part of a rough area, would of been waiting a hell of a lot longer for a nicer area).. Then we had to wait 3 months for repairs to be done before they gave us the keys. We asked if we could try for somewhere else but they said if we turned the offer down after accepting it we would be put on the bottom of the list. I'm in the north west.

This is crazy! I'm not on any list as we're lucky enough to have space at my parents' but I feel really bad for anyone stuck in the system of council housing. The programme on it recently made me cry! It's mental as well cos in some areas it's so easy. I have a friend in Hull who chose a lovely three bed house immediately, and chose to move to another house when she felt like it a year later.

I went on list in 2003, got a temporary flat in 2005 and a permanent 3bed in 2008 but sadly after 5 yrs we moved out and gave up our council house in 2012 due ti dick face neighbours x ours in the forest is done by date not bids x

we've never been on the council list but I think we're gonna have to go on it now because we need a four bed and I don't think we can afford to private rent anything bigger than a 3 bed here. I don't even know where to start, it's really daunting :nope: We live in Sheffield and there are some really bad areas here, scary areas! I'm worried about what and where we'd get offered, if anything.

we've never been on the council list but I think we're gonna have to go on it now because we need a four bed and I don't think we can afford to private rent anything bigger than a 3 bed here. I don't even know where to start, it's really daunting :nope: We live in Sheffield and there are some really bad areas here, scary areas! I'm worried about what and where we'd get offered, if anything.

I know in our area you wouldn't even be classed as overcrowded as your children can technically share :nope: also the fact you already private rent wouldn't work in your favour because as far as they're concerned you can afford it etc. it sucks and hopefully they aren't as strict in your area

Agree with Lynsey, where I live if you went to the council I don't think they would even help with that situation unless you unintentionally became homeless

I know in our area you wouldn't even be classed as overcrowded as your children can technically share :nope: also the fact you already private rent wouldn't work in your favour because as far as they're concerned you can afford it etc. it sucks and hopefully they aren't as strict in your area

Blimey really?!! we are currently in a two bed and pay £500 a month. A three bed we're looking at at least £550-£600 and I just don't know how we'd manage :(

Blimey really?!! we are currently in a two bed and pay £500 a month. A three bed we're looking at at least £550-£600 and I just don't know how we'd manage :(

Are you eligible for any housing benefit? I *think* that if you're eligible for a council house you're eligible for at least some housing benefit and housing benefit may be better as you don't have to wait and get to choose your home. But PPs are right that you wouldn't be classed as overcrowded :nope:

The rules are usually same sex can share till 16, opposite can share till 10 xx

Ours is 850 for 3/4 bed which ia average/high here. X

To rent a 3 bedroom house in my city would cost £1000+ a month it's mental. Everyone I know either have council houses, share a flat with friends or own their own house. I can't think of a single family who private rent their homes themselves as it's ridiculously expensive.

Yeah MrsBand Egglet you wouldnt even be classed as overcrowded its silly really!

Emyandpotato you dont automatically get HB if you have a council house...we are not eligible for HB due to income but we are urgent priority for a council house due to welfare issues!

Yeah MrsBand Egglet you wouldnt even be classed as overcrowded its silly really!

Emyandpotato you dont automatically get HB if you have a council house...we are not eligible for HB due to income but we are urgent priority for a council house due to welfare issues!

Thanks hun, didn't realise that! :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"