council houses and waiting times

Ive never had to wait. When my previous relationship ended I moved back in with my mother in Oldham and contacted the council, and within a month Id moved into my own flat and then I got moved into a house when me and my husband had our first.
Then when we wanted to move again out of that house because we wanted to try for a 3rd baby and that house was 3 bedrooms but small I just called a housing association direct to enquire and moved into this 4 bed house within a month of asking about it. Ive been quite lucky I think. I live in West Yorkshire now in Calderdale and love it.

Wow that is so lucky!

Here is depends who you know as well. If your close friend, mum or someone your family know knows someone on the housing board you will be sorted. Sometimes MPs can get you in to houses too. An old friend of mines mum worked high up in counsel. Got her a lovely house, any work needs done done immediately, new kitchen for her too.

Here is depends who you know as well. If your close friend, mum or someone your family know knows someone on the housing board you will be sorted. Sometimes MPs can get you in to houses too. An old friend of mines mum worked high up in counsel. Got her a lovely house, any work needs done done immediately, new kitchen for her too.

It's like this in my area too. For some time I was the only person on the list but perfectly suitable houses kept coming up and being let to friends/family of the housing officers.

Is it even worth me putting our name down on the register? our contract here ends in October and I can't wait!! We signed a long lease (3 years) at the same rent just before I got pregnant with Thora and now I can't wait to get out of here. Can I move to another private rent in the meantime if we are registered on the council?

It's always worth being on the list, even if it takes years at least you're on it x

It's like this in my area too. For some time I was the only person on the list but perfectly suitable houses kept coming up and being let to friends/family of the housing officers.

Its a case of he/she who shouts the loudest gets. In the past it was easier though as people used to camp out in the office and not leave till given a house. I heard of so many doing that. It pushes people down the list the more that step in too. I see the points book here. I was shocked to see not even having mod cons gets you many points. Basically if you do have a roof and thats all over your head, no electric or water gets you much points. You need to be actually sitting on the street with nothing to get any help. They force many in to private rent here. Shortfall is big money too for private.

Its a case of he/she who shouts the loudest gets. In the past it was easier though as people used to camp out in the office and not leave till given a house. I heard of so many doing that. It pushes people down the list the more that step in too. I see the points book here. I was shocked to see not even having mod cons gets you many points. Basically if you do have a roof and thats all over your head, no electric or water gets you much points. You need to be actually sitting on the street with nothing to get any help. They force many in to private rent here. Shortfall is big money too for private.

This is so true. I hear of so many people being turned away but those who truly fight for it are the ones that gets housed. I wrote letter after letter and called all the time before finally getting somewhere. You def have to push

I thought what we paid privately to rent was expensive but there's no way we could afford some of the rents I've seen on here - they're frightening!!

Here its bidding. We didnt have to wait long when we got our place

It's bidding here too we're in private rent at the min a nice sized 3 bed with a lovely garden and two reception rooms and kitchen for 525 pm. We live in a what's considered not nice area it's mostly council houses and flats. Our landlord is looking to sell in the next year or so though so we're getting on the list.

I'm in liverpool council btw :)

We got a house last year. We went on the list in 2003 but became priority when we were given notice in 2010. So 10 years in total but 3 with priority.

When we was given notice we were moved to a hostel for 2 months and then onto temporary accomadtion, which was a 3 bed, for just short of 3 years. We was given homeless priority and are in the south east.

Mrsbandegglet- here only 2 children are 'allowed' to share a room so for having 3 you would get extra points for being in a 2 bed.
I would defiantly put your name down because even here where it is points and bidding, if it ever comes down to a tie it goes on the date you joined the list. :)

We're in a 2 bed maisonette in London... There's me & OH in one room and 4 kids in the other. The bedroom is damp and has mould on 2 of the walls due to the lack of circulation (being highly overcrowded) and we have 2 children with medical needs. Been on the list for 3 years so far and we're classed as high priority....
We were offered a 3 bed terraced house but it was 1 double bedroom and 2 single bedrooms and the property was tiny - there was no way of fitting the bunk beds into the bedrooms!

It's crazy how things differ in each borough x

Yeh it is 2 children per room but they wont class it as serious overcrowding if that makes sense. Obv if you moved to council chellie it would be a 3 x

We went on the list in August 2011 awarded 34 points for overcrowding... My relationship with my parents broke down and we were made homeless by them in summer 2012 so we're given 35 points but was still looking at a max 2 years wait! Luckily (don't feel very lucky now!) in May 2013 the flat we are living in was up for bids it's in a small village where my oh grew up and they take local connection only we could of had no points but still would of got it because they only let the villagers and there family's live here...

Moved in here in May 2013 worst mistake ever! Would rather of lived in the worst estate in my town than here... They wrongly moved us in knowing there's defects and have been forced into financial ruin and fuel poverty! Using £70 a week in electric... We can't afford to do food shopping some weeks and this isn't even a really bad winter winter we've experienced :( when it was really cold me, my oh and belle had to share a bed with a hot water bottle to keep warm as it was using £10-£15 a day! The boiler doesn't switch off so we had no choice but to suffer as HA did nothing and said it wasn't their problem because it's a utility.... Other defects they haven't fixed is a toilet leaking crap all over the floor, electrics tripping and sparking, no fire insulation! And the floor moving away from the walls....

All this in a new build first of its kind Eco friendly house!

Next month we're moving as have been re housed in 2 bedroom house in the next town! Can not blooming wait.

I remember you getting that flat!! So glad you have a house lined up next month xx

I remember you getting that flat!! So glad you have a house lined up next month xx

Thanks Hun :)

I was over the moon when we got it, I'm gutted how it's all played out now :(. Just can't wait to get away and start a fresh xx

Yay I'm glad your getting moved it sounds like a nightmare!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->