• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Crazy itching

Miss_Bump

Reaction score
I'm nearly 15 weeks and had an awful sleep last night as I was itching so much on my entire body! It was everywhere. Now I've woken up it's not too bad but still a little itchy.

Is this normal?

You might want to speak to your midwife . Increased itching can be a sign of obstetric cholestasis .

Hopefully it’s nothing like this but I’d check in with her for her opinion xx

Hi hon
Please speak to ure midwife
I had severe itching from 11 weeks with my son and at just 17 weeks I was diognosed with cholestasis of pregnancy. I also had it with my DD but it didnt start untill 33 weeks with her. I ended being induced with her at 35+4 weeks because of the cholestasis and pre eclampsia.

With my son the itching started so much earlier at 11 weeks and started on my belly. It then spread to my legs arms back and chest.
At night it was terrible I cudnt sleep, it felt like i was being bitten by thousands of red ants.
I then developed itchy palms of hands and souls of feet and my poop turned yellow and my pee was dark.
Went back and forth to the doctors and at 17 weeks was diagnosed with cholestasis.
I was put on medication and was induced at 37+3 weeks.

Cholestasis is a liver condition that u can get in pregnancy. Its main symptoms is itching.
If left it can be very very dangerous, so any itching esp severe itching needs investigation.
U will need to have ure bile acids checked and also ure liver function.

Some doctors will try and fob u off but u must be persistent. They will say stuff like u cant get that untill 3rd tri but that's not true because I had it from 11 weeks.

Also do not Google this because it will scare you. I ended up googling and it caused alot of anxiety.
Just make a doctor appointment or speak with ure midwife and explain how itchy u are.
Good luck hon.

Last edited:
Hi hon
Please speak to ure midwife
I had severe itching from 11 weeks with my son and at just 17 weeks I was diognosed with cholestasis of pregnancy. I also had it with my DD but it didnt start untill 33 weeks with her. I ended being induced with her at 35+4 weeks because of the cholestasis and pre eclampsia.

With my son the itching started so much earlier at 11 weeks and started on my belly. It then spread to my legs arms back and chest.
At night it was terrible I cudnt sleep, it felt like i was being bitten by thousands of red ants.
I then developed itchy palms of hands and souls of feet and my poop turned yellow and my pee was dark.
Went back and forth to the doctors and at 17 weeks was diagnosed with cholestasis.
I was put on medication and was induced at 37+3 weeks.

Cholestasis is a liver condition that u can get in pregnancy. Its main symptoms is itching.
If left it can be very very dangerous, so any itching esp severe itching needs investigation.
U will need to have ure bile acids checked and also ure liver function.

Some doctors will try and fob u off but u must be persistent. They will say stuff like u cant get that untill 3rd tri but that's not true because I had it from 11 weeks.

Also do not Google this because it will scare you. I ended up googling and it caused alot of anxiety.
Just make a doctor appointment or speak with ure midwife and explain how itchy u are.
Good luck hon.
I spoke with my MW who said to get a blood form from the GP and get tested. She said it's more common in 3rd tri but absolutely seen as early as 6-8 weeks.

Did it slowly get worse? It's been on a off today, I'm not sure if it's just really dry skin bit it is everywhere but not on soles or palms.

Did you find anything relieved it? Moisturiser helps for a short amount of time x

Yes, I’d go to a doctor and they can check your blood to see if you have choleostasis just in case. I didn’t get choleostasis until 36 weeks, but I’m glad I went and checked because turns out I had choleostasis and pre eclampsia and had to be induced that day. My main symptoms were extremely itchy feet and itchy on the palms of my hands.

Wasn't too bad last night but I still remember itching.

Will get my bloods done today

I hope that you get some answers from the bloods.

Hi hon how ya doing ?

For me the itching was most severe from 10 to 20 weeks. I was put on medication at 17 weeks and that helped get my bile levels down and reduced the itching.
I was also given some cream that was menthol which helped for a few mins.

I didnt sleep properly for weeks because the itching was so intence .

They will diognose u here if ure bile acid levels are 14 and above.
Mine at 15 weeks was at a 20.
Once I was put on medication they went down to a 17 and stayed that way for weeks.
At 28 weeks I started getting itchy agian and my levels had gone back up to above 20 the at 33 weeks they were 37.

Keep me posted on how u get on .
We are ttc again and I do worry about having cholestasis for the 3rd time.

I found having cool showers helped.
When I was hot I felt so much more itchy.
I itched so much I made myself bleed.

Hi hon how ya doing ?

For me the itching was most severe from 10 to 20 weeks. I was put on medication at 17 weeks and that helped get my bile levels down and reduced the itching.
I was also given some cream that was menthol which helped for a few mins.

I didnt sleep properly for weeks because the itching was so intence .

They will diognose u here if ure bile acid levels are 14 and above.
Mine at 15 weeks was at a 20.
Once I was put on medication they went down to a 17 and stayed that way for weeks.
At 28 weeks I started getting itchy agian and my levels had gone back up to above 20 the at 33 weeks they were 37.

Keep me posted on how u get on .
We are ttc again and I do worry about having cholestasis for the 3rd time.

I found having cool showers helped.
When I was hot I felt so much more itchy.
I itched so much I made myself bleed.
Thanks for the reply.

Didn't have much luck with the GP! I was really upset by their response to not give a blood test. I spoke to the midwife again and she said when I'm 16 weeks I can be booked in were her for bloods so only a few days really. She said a lot of GP don't fully understand that this can happy so early

Oh wow I’m really shocked at your GP willing to even take that kinda risk ! I’ve never been refused a blood test.

I’m glad the itching has subsided a little bit and hopefully you can see your MW soon

Oh wow I’m really shocked at your GP willing to even take that kinda risk ! I’ve never been refused a blood test.

I’m glad the itching has subsided a little bit and hopefully you can see your MW soon

I was really upset and called the midwife straight away. She said sadly it's quite common for a GP to refuse unless you're on 3rd tri and/or have severe symptoms?

I've been finding it so hard at night with a mix of itching and general restlessness :(

Ahh that’s terrible Hun . Sometimes GPs just don’t get it when your pregnant !.

Hopefully your midwife will get your bloods done soon as . Try not to worry too much xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->