? Dairy allergy

sezzolou

Reaction score
478F05EA-9CF0-4D38-A039-FFA68DD85B2A.jpeg Does anyone have an experience in allergies please? GP referred to paediatrics today which im glad of as im so confused and feeling overwhelmed.

DS3 who is now 11.5 months had been such an easy happy baby bar reflux and chronic congestion issues which we have so far just handled ourselves but since weaning at 6 months things seem harder. I imagined being my 3rd weaning would be a doddle but its been so difficult with lots of food refusal (Self feeding and spoon feeding). Then he started getting rashes with cheese, butter, etc and crying when ever he did manage to eat. I cut out dairy a few weeks back after he had numerous reactions (see pics) and he finally started eating although he quite often will cry all the way through a meal. Had him weighed last week and he is only 18.9lb..around 2lb weight gain since 6 months old (he was 8lb 11oz when he was born).

Then today while eating salmon he started crying, his face went blothcy again and both his arms went bright red and hot which has happened in the past. Could it just be teething related?

can anybody advise on the pics please? Im worried im reading too much into things and restricting his diet when i shouldnt be. So far i have just stopped giving him cows milk, cheese and yoghurts (i havent gone as far as checking food labels).

Thanks

EB23D65C-258B-4B6A-9981-DFC530028E60.jpeg 0D2380BD-E272-4974-ACFF-5FA6262C3275.jpeg 24ACF5F4-E9AF-4252-8E20-891D74D17138.jpeg 52B0B277-B5E6-4322-A389-1E97F79932A2.jpeg

Last edited:
No experience hun but that definitely looks like a reaction to something hes eating. Hopefully now you've been referred they will look at testing him to find the cause

Hey Hun

Your best cutting diary completely out of his diet they usually don’t do allergy testing in my area( yours may be different ) . They just do an elimination diet , so nothing at all dairy you may need to start reading the labels on food or he may be able to handle small amounts of milk when it’s been baked but not able to handle foods such as cheese , yoghurts . Have a look at the milk ladder . I used the 10 step one with DD2 . The higher up on the list the less it’s baked for. It takes around 6-8 weeks for dairy to leave the system.

Keep a food diary of everything he eats and any reactions you notice . DD2 always had a few issues then suddenly got worse when we started weaning her . She went undiagnosed until she was one. Went completely diary free after that for 1 1/2 or so then started the milk ladder she’s now just turned 4 and is now allergy free !

My personal opinion is he’s had a reaction to something in those pictures. I would cut all diary for the next 8 weeks then slowly start the 10 step milk ladder ( there is a newer version but I prefer the old one ) and see how he gets on . Hopefully in the meantime you will get to see the peads !

DS also has a milk allergy his symptoms started from birth , soon as we switched to a milk free formula he’s been fine! Just started to wean him and again feel like I am in a minefield! But I know what I am doing this time around !

Was the salmon plain? That definitely sounds like an allergic reaction. As others have said if he is reacting to dairy you'll need to cut out everything with it in not just milk cheese and yogurt. hope the paediatrician is able to help he looks so sore poor thing

Hey Hun

Your best cutting diary completely out of his diet they usually don’t do allergy testing in my area( yours may be different ) . They just do an elimination diet , so nothing at all dairy you may need to start reading the labels on food or he may be able to handle small amounts of milk when it’s been baked but not able to handle foods such as cheese , yoghurts . Have a look at the milk ladder . I used the 10 step one with DD2 . The higher up on the list the less it’s baked for. It takes around 6-8 weeks for dairy to leave the system.

Keep a food diary of everything he eats and any reactions you notice . DD2 always had a few issues then suddenly got worse when we started weaning her . She went undiagnosed until she was one. Went completely diary free after that for 1 1/2 or so then started the milk ladder she’s now just turned 4 and is now allergy free !

My personal opinion is he’s had a reaction to something in those pictures. I would cut all diary for the next 8 weeks then slowly start the 10 step milk ladder ( there is a newer version but I prefer the old one ) and see how he gets on . Hopefully in the meantime you will get to see the peads !

DS also has a milk allergy his symptoms started from birth , soon as we switched to a milk free formula he’s been fine! Just started to wean him and again feel like I am in a minefield! But I know what I am doing this time around !

thank you for the thorough reply and tips. I shall look up the milk ladder. I wish we had been a bit more pushy with the GP sooner as from only a few weeks old we were struggling with reflux, congestion, coughing and gagging on all his feeds and he never really drank anymore than 5oz of formula right up until he started refusing formula last month. He is now 11.5 months and we have had to make to switch to unsweetened almond milk which he drinks much better than formula (will drink 6-7oz now). However im worried that since cutting dairy he may not be getting all the nutrients he needs. Ive picked up some multivitamins for now.

Was the salmon plain? That definitely sounds like an allergic reaction. As others have said if he is reacting to dairy you'll need to cut out everything with it in not just milk cheese and yogurt. hope the paediatrician is able to help he looks so sore poor thing

i cooked it in a little bit of maple syrup and he had plain sweet potato and veg with it. Im going to start a food diary so its all clearer in my head. Its only since ive started writing things down that im realising that the day following the times he has had dairy lately (given by mother in law and my little boy gave him some cheese) he is constipated and has a red bum, cries alot and refuses all food. Its almost like it hurts his mouth to eat as i can tell he wants the food but as soon as its in his mouth he becomes distressed.

Most alternative milks are now fortified wih vitamins. The GP told me to switch to Soya which DD still had the same problems and we switched again to KOKO coconut milk. Which has added vitamins . The dietician told me Soya milk is a big no no as it contains the same proteins as cows milk! I think most GPS don’t have a clue !

I would sit down with anyone who looks after or comes into regular contact with him and tell them no diary at all , just so your all in the loop!

You will get there just have to be a bit more pushy with the GP/ peads !

Just a little update. Lo’s initial paediatric appointment has come through but it isnt until 3rd March. Im getting my head around being dairy/soya free now. Unfortunately he had his worst allergic reaction so far last week to coconut when i was trying a cheese alternative so we are now also coconut free. This reaction was immediate and i was close to calling an ambulance but the piriton the GP prescribed kicked in quite quicky and he had recovered within an hour.

EAA81F6E-EE36-4F1C-8FA0-2F966B4B8A4F.jpeg

Aww bless him ! It’s such a minefield when starting out . I’ve just stared to wean DS and looking out for any other possible reactions.

I would ask for allergy testing see if they offer you it to rule out anything else . What milk is he having rice / almond etc ? . We were lucky that DD2 was fine with the coconut milk ! Hoping DS will start the milk ladder in a few months but if not there’s loads of other options !

Aww that must have been scary :hugs:
I agree, I would ask for the allergy testing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->