Daktarin for thrush

fi79

Mummy to Sophie
Reaction score
Hi.

LO and I have suspected thrush (neither of us have severe symptoms but hv and dr agree it's likely). Last week I was prescribed canesten cream and, after encouragement from the hv, went back today to get prescription for LO. I've been given Daktarin gel. From what I read this is the right thing for her but I'm a bit nervous about giving it to her now. The pharmacist told me they don't normally give it to babies under 4 months because it can thicken in the mouth and be a choking hazard. He told me to watch her closely for 5 - 10 minutes after putting it on. The accompanying leaflet also says "do not use the medicine on infants under 4 months old".

What are people's experiences? Has anyone had choking problems with it?

It cannot thicken in the mouth if anything it gets watered down and goes thinner in the mouth; however some people don't use common sense and use the whole adult dose for young babies and just kind of 'tip' it in their mouth; in young babies it is best applied with a clean finger to the surfaces of the mouth and I always did only 1/2 to 1/4 of the advised dose (there used to be this weird spoon thing in the box not sure if there still is) xx

Thanks Summer Rain. No spoon in the box but I'll make sure I apply it sparingly. The dr advised approx 2.5ml, twice a day. She said that volume would be about the size of the tip of my index finger - does that sound about right? Or too much?

I've been using the daktarin gel on my lo I just put a little on my finger and then rub it on his Tongue he starts licking it then I spread the rest on his gums and cheeks. We've had no problems so far ad I can't imagine we will cos it seems such a small amount. I think with these things the makers have to be over careful.

The guidlines for using Daktrain under 4 months came about because of a boy whose mother coated her nipples in the gel before feeding. As the gel went straight to the back of the throat it caused him to breifly stop breathing. He was totally fine afterwards.

As previous posters have said just apply a very small amount using your finger.

It is so much more effective than the usual treatment (nystan) so persevere with it.

I was using this when my LO was 3 weeks old.

I also worried about her age but after talking to my MW she assured me it was fine - which it was. :thumbup:

They have to put the "not suitable for babies under 4 months" bit in order to get the over the counter license. In the bigger size box which is on prescrption only it says suitable for newborns. I had a lovely pharmacist who showed me all this, and the bit in her medicine bible as she called it just to set my mind to rest in case! (My LO was 3 weeks old when we got it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->