Dates confusion

Cycle length has no effect on EDD from LMP so I'm confused too lol :shrug: you just gotta count 40 weeks from first day of last period. I do no see how cycle length can change anything.

When using a due date calculator maybe. But using LMP ... It's just counting lol

Of course it does. According to my LMP I'm about 7 weeks along and due on the 8th of July. My cycle was a long one with ovulation on cycle day 35 though, so I am actually only 4 weeks and 2 days along and due on the 27th of July. I've never been able to go from LMP as I have a long cycle.

This is what I've been trying to explain....

EDD is 40 weeks from LMP. When using LMP to calculate EDD, cycle length has no effect as it's just counting to 40
as you said, you've never been able to go by LMP. (so your pregnancies are probably dated by an ultrasound)
OBs here use LMP and cycle length doesn't affect that

That makes no sense though. For example, with my son, my LMP was about the middle of November in 2009. Lets just say the 20th, for arguments sake. 40 weeks from then would have made my due date about August 27th 2010. But I ovulated on the 4th of March 2010 (a very long cycle) so my son would not be due on the 27th of August because of the long cycle. He was due on the 25th of November 2010.

I have dated my current pregnancy and my daughters by knowing when I ovulated, I don't think LMP is very accurate for long cycles. Are you trying to say I should think I am just over 7 weeks at the moment because of my LMP? I don't see how you don't see what I am saying. Cycle length certainly does change the EDD when you have long cycles.

This. As well as short cycles. Which was the case with my last pregnancy. As it's impossible to use LMP accurately for due dates with a 26-27 day cycles.

EDD is 40 weeks from LMP. When using LMP to calculate EDD, cycle length has no effect as it's just counting to 40
as you said, you've never been able to go by LMP. (so your pregnancies are probably dated by an ultrasound)

Wish they did that in the uk. My last period was 20th June, so 40 weeks from then should give me eed of 26th march, but my edd is 19th April. So I have no idea on that front :p

It means you ovulated much later. So it's not that hard to figure out. It's dangerous to go by just solely LMP with long cycles otherwise you could be induced for being late when baby is nowhere near ready.

That makes no sense though. For example, with my son, my LMP was about the middle of November in 2009. Lets just say the 20th, for arguments sake. 40 weeks from then would have made my due date about August 27th 2010. But I ovulated on the 4th of March 2010 (a very long cycle) so my son would not be due on the 27th of August because of the long cycle. He was due on the 25th of November 2010.

I have dated my current pregnancy and my daughters by knowing when I ovulated, I don't think LMP is very accurate for long cycles. Are you trying to say I should think I am just over 7 weeks at the moment because of my LMP? I don't see how you don't see what I am saying. Cycle length certainly does change the EDD when you have long cycles.

It will.effect.your ACTUAL EDD.

My OB goes by LMP and only LMP (if known)

my ACTUAL EDD going by when I ovulated is April 24th but since ovulation date doesn't change my OBs mind about my EDD., none of that applies to me.

When dating a pregnancy accurately, it changes things. But when your OB couldn't care less about when you ovulated, or what baby is measuring when there is a LMP on record...it doesn't

I don't see how ya'll don't understand what i'm saying...

It will.effect.your ACTUAL EDD.

My OB goes by LMP and only LMP (if known)

my ACTUAL EDD going by when I ovulated is April 24th but since ovulation date doesn't change my OBs mind about my EDD., none of that applies to me.

When dating a pregnancy accurately, it changes things. But when your OB couldn't care less about when you ovulated, or what baby is measuring when there is a LMP on record...it doesn't

I don't see how ya'll don't understand what i'm saying...

If you're really worried about the dates and the OB which was the starting point of your thread then I simply advise you to speak to another OB. Then any confusion can be resolved. If you do have GD again then the last thing you need is your OB possibly inducing you earlier/later than she should.

I'm pretty sure in one of my comments I already said that i've spoken with one OB and she wouldn't change it. Also that it was before I failed the one hour so then it wasn't a big deal. Also that I see a different OB next month (and will have either passed or failed the 3 hour GTT by then) so maybe they'll take it more seriously

Idk why you have felt the need to respond to questions and issues I don't have nor had anything to do with my post. The post was simply about my dates not matching and that's regardless of induction or not. Simply about the mathematics of it

I'm pretty sure in one of my comments I already said that i've spoken with one OB and she wouldn't change it. Also that it was before I failed the one hour so then it wasn't a big deal. Also that I see a different OB next month (and will have either passed or failed the 3 hour GTT by then) so maybe they'll take it more seriously

Idk why you have felt the need to respond to questions and issues I don't have nor had anything to do with my post. The post was simply about my dates not matching and that's regardless of induction or not. Simply about the mathematics of it

I can honestly say that all I've been doing is to try and help make sense of your calculations. I've clearly not helped at all, so I'm just going to back off.

I really do hope your next OB does take it more seriously though, and good luck in advance with the GTT :thumbup:

And what you're saying IS true and would have an effect on my dates.....if my OB gave a crap, but it doesn't seem to matter. Part of me is thinking about switching to a different practice (i live in a small country town so choices are very limited). If they can't get simple dates right, kinda worries me lol still don't understand how they have me one day pregnant before my cycle even started. :shrug:

Thanx for your well wishes on the GTT, I just know i'm gonna fail tho. Ugh. The GD diet did me NO good in my last pregnancy, it made me lose weight?!?!

I apologize if my last comment was rude. In trying to explain my confusion with my dates with some people (not even mentioning anything about induction!) gave me crap for trying to make sense out of it. It's friggin' math, and SHOULD add up and it's like half of the people don't understand that and it's frustrating trying to explain it over and over and over

If they simply used my DATING SCAN then this wouldn't even be an issue. Ugh. So irritating

Don't worry about it, that's the problem with being pregnant, if something isn't making us angry and annoyed at something, then we're crying at the fridge for not having something in it that we really want to eat :haha:

I know what you mean about the GD diet, had the exact same thing. It stopped any of my already minimal weight gain and didn't gain anything. Whenever I went to the GD consultant appointments I would be stared at for a good few minutes, immediately followed by the comment 'you're so small, why do you have GD?'.

Really is bizarre that the dating scan got completely ignored. Don't blame you for being irritated about it. And I'm sorry if I irritated you in anyway, certainly didn't mean to come off that way either :hugs:

Haha yes!!!

Ugh yeah once I realized I wasnt gaining on the diet. I went back to eating pretty much like I had been before the diagnosis...i started gaining again AND my numbers stayed within range.

And about the scan being ignored. Yes. Ugggghhhhh. Whyyyyyy call it a dating scan if you're not going to use the dates?!?!?!

You personally didnt irritate me...just in general when i'm questioned about why im confused and offered "well it should be this" is whats irritating. Its like I know what it SHOULD be, but its not and im just trying to find an explanation of why it could be wrong. But I dont think there is one. Someone had to of counted wrong or looked at the wheel wrong or something. Its the only thing I can come up with

Powell, I totally get where you're frustrated. It's a day off and that is so annoying. I was induced with my first and was so worried about not being ready for it, about my daughter needing more time, especially since I knew without doubt that i ovulated on CD 17 not CD 14, as the LMP method assumes. So I was consistently 3 days behind in that pregnancy with every scan, and when induction came up, I was worried. So I totally get that!! You have every right to be annoyed that they aren't taking your concern seriously. My dr office won't change due date unless the dating scan shows a 6 day difference or greater, so I think, at least here in the US, it's common to see a day or few days difference as no big deal.

You could try a new practice to see if they will be more on your side for the correct due date. Also, if push came to shove, and you were advised to induce, and you felt not ready, you can decline for a day. They can't make you go in for an induction. That's easier said then done, and it was advice given to me too by my fam when I was at the end of my 1st pregnancy, and I was looking at possible induction. But at the end of the day, it's your body, it's you baby, it's your say and you have to do what you feel is right.

Yes! And its also irritating that she wont change my LMP! I didn't ACTUALLY give the wrong date but I told her I did in hopes she'd change it to line up with my O date...which so happened to line up with what he was measuring at the DATING SCAN she's not using either. I'm going to bring it up again after my three hour glucose test results (i go tuesday) and hope the'll take it more seriously since induction will actually be on the table and not just a possibility.
My induction with #1 was AWFUL as he wasn't ready. But it's a double edge sword for me because if we wait too long to induce I verrrrrrry well may end up with a section if he's gotten too big since #1 almost didn't make it out cuz of his shoulders. So since a few days very well could mean the difference in a vaginal delivery or a section I want my dates to be accurate dang it!
If they wont consider changing anything I am going to strongly consider looking for a new practice. Ugh I miss my old practice and MWs back home :( (we have since moved states so I cant see them unfortunately)
Ugh

How did you eat with GD? I see there are many schools of thought. My Paleo diet is lower im carbs and high in good saturated fats. It helped to get rid of my hypoglycemia and I do gain weight right now. Low carb can be used for weight loss but I learned how to avoid it by combining the right foods. Maybe your diet was missing something?

I dont remember the specific amounts but something like this

X amount of carbs
X amount of fruits
Basically unlimited amounts of protein and veggies

No juice
No more than 8oz of milk , or dairy with similar amount of carbs

That was for meals and snacks were protein and veggies

after a month or so of that and losing weight I went back regular eating. Chinese food, pizza, fried chicken and gravy as a few examples lol...i started gaining again and my numbers didnt go crazy either. I could eat literally anything I wanted and however much I wanted and my numbers were fine. Some times got into.the 150s and I would walk for 5-10 mins and they went back down to around 100....everytime!

Idk. Ive never been.convinced I actually had GD. I think my size has more to do with me failing the GTT than actual diabetes...

Also what comes to mind is that in pregnancy the body's ability to regulate blood sugar changes. So women tend to get symptoms of hypoglycemia, feeling lightheaded.
With my first pregnancy I had this badly between 8-12 weeks. I would sometimes almost faint in public places.
This time I felt a hint of it between 12-15 weeks, but as long as I made sure to eat frequent enough and combined proteins with carbs and saturated fats, I was stable. If I binged on carbs only foods however I would crash within a few hours.
Now that my hormones adjusted (no more progesterone either) I can fast for longer without feeling weak...
I don't lose weight eating lower in carbs as long as I combine saturated fats with carbs. I make coconut flour bread, spread butter and honey on it and I got my protein, fat and carbs in one yummy snack.

Sometimes it has to do with things we ate and not every meal causes our blood sugar to spike. And like I have said, these tests are known to be faulty. Making you ingest an enormous amount of sugar is unnatural. A reason why I won't take it. I think I may fail just because I am not used to foods high in sugars and I am light weight/ small in bone structure (not so much in height being 5'5" but it can be blamed on my legs and giraffe neck ;))

3 hour GTT test today. Bleh!

Buuut my gestation today is 18w4d?!? I wish I was seeing a doc so I could ask wth lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->