Dealing with comments from other people.

DonnaBallona

newlyweds!
Reaction score
This is quite a random thread but I really feel like I need some advice right now.

So, Im under IMMENSE pressure to wean Brooke. Every HV I see has been going on and on at me for about a month now to wean her but Iv held off till now as I didnt think she needed it. But now she definatly does!! :dohh:

So, today OH and I went to buy her a highchair. Brooke only weighs 8lb 12oz at 5 months but has fab head control and can sit up with support.

So, standing in Mothercare, we put Brooke in a highchair (that was clearly labelled from BIRTH!!), strapped her in and put the tray on. We were standing there admiring her and laughing at how proud of herself she was when this old bint came over and tapped me on the shoulder. She said "Dont you think she is a bit young and small for that?" :-(

Now, Im not normally one to get annoyed but this really peed me off so I said "well, considering she is 5 months NO I dont, and believe it or not we're her parents and know what is best for her." With that I hauled her out of the highchair and marched off.

So, now im dreading weaning even more than I was before. I just know as soon as I putanything in her mouh Im going to get comments all over the place about how people think she's a newborn. Im really dreading it. :cry:

Any ideas what I can say or do to stop people saying things to me?? It might seem Im overreacting a little but wherever we go we get comments and Im a little tired of it. Does anyone else get this??

=( people just dont think before opening their mouths. You know whats best for your LO. Carry on regardless, you're doingfine X

=( people just dont think before opening their mouths. You know whats best for your LO. Carry on regardless, you're doingfine X

thanks for your reply.

Im not great at confrontation at all-but im soooo tired of having to explain myself to complete strangers!!! :hissy: :dohh:

I need some baaaaaaaaad one-liners!!! :muaha: xx

:hugs:

Eeeejits :trouble:

Next time anyone comments say 'If I'd have wanted any shit out of you, I woulda squeezed your head'. :finger:

x

:hugs:

Eeeejits :trouble:

Next time anyone comments say 'If I'd have wanted any shit out of you, I woulda squeezed your head'. :finger:

x

:rofl: Lisa!! Your a nutter

Just say when i want your opinion i will ask for it
xx

Ooh, I'm crap at one liners!!

Tell themto go shove it though. It's got bog all to do with them. And you'd better get used to strange looks and comments if you're going to be doing BLW!!!:rofl:

Ooh, I'm crap at one liners!!

Tell themto go shove it though. It's got bog all to do with them. And you'd better get used to strange looks and comments if you're going to be doing BLW!!!:rofl:

Oh this is EXACTLY why im dreading weaning at all.

Imagine if you walked past a cafe and saw someone handing their newborn a carrot stick to suck on. Admittedly, it will look odd. :dohh:

Good thing I love her just the way she is :cloud9:

Im crap under pressure too.

Just be blunt, say shes actually 5 months old not a newborn, she was very early and very ill so butt out. They might feel guility and stupid then

Im crap under pressure too.

Just be blunt, say shes actually 5 months old not a newborn, she was very early and very ill so butt out. They might feel guility and stupid then

Thanks for your reply :hugs: I hate explaining myself to any John, Bob or Jean that wants to know my situation but I guess its just the way things are. :-(

Lets hope I wont have to use the witty one-liners. . .cant see it happening myself though!!! :dohh:

xx

:hugs: People can be such asses. If I was any good at confrontation, I would use Lisa's line. I would just tell them she's 5 months old, she's MY daughter, and what business is it of yours, anyway?

Or just offer them an arm wrestle. Jump down on one knee, roll up your sleeve, offer your hand up and say 'OK right here, right now, you and me, arm wrestle, LETS GO'.

They'll think you're disturbed and disappear pronto.

x

If she knew anything about babies, she would know by looking at where Brooke is developmentally (not just by looking at her size).. she probably would have figured out the situation and not said anything at all.

Proof she doesn't know any better, proof you should ignore it and carry on.. you're doing what's right for you & Brooke! :)

Both Lisa's suggestions sound good to me, another one would be to back right away from said persons, then full speed towards them and clothes line them? :rofl:

or just say yes she is a new born but just doesn't like milk so i thought we would get her straight onto solids :rofl: followed by you rooting around in your bag saying you have something for the lovely lady and produce her with two fingers?

joking aside hon i guess you got to try take no notice otherwise you will be constantly justifying yourself to random people xxx good luck x

Yeah - Brockies right. I think some advanced wrestling moves might be called for. Oh yeah and when you root around in your bag you can either produced the fingers or maybe a Snickers bar and hold it out to Brooke and say 'Look baby girl....dinner time.....'

god ic ant believe some poepl! i'd be tempted to embarrass them more. like say - when you've had a baby born x number of months early, maybe you can come back and comment then!

i had to bite my tongue at work the other day cos there was a woman with 2 kids at my till, the older was crying - well more sort of whinging, it was so obvious he was tired. the woman behind them was tutting and when it was her turn to be served she was like "i hate whinging kids". if i hadnt been working i'd have given her a right earful! she had so obviously not had kids herself...i did chuckle to myself when i asw the millions of packets of cat food she had!!

i'd have said in a mongy voice, its says from NEWWWWWW BORRNNNNNN so go find someone elses toes to tread on,
theres one thing i cant abide and that is people poking their nose in on what i do with rhys, i hate peoples opinions. like is he hungry, is he tired, why not try this, try that, oh when my baby did this i did that.

You should say... this is just for starters Ive got a greggs sausage roll lined up for her next!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->