Debate - Choosing sex of children?

I think its taking things just a little too far IMO, it shouldnt be allowed!!

i would generally say no to this, people should just be grateful for what they have been given.
the only time i think i would say yes to it would be if there was a horrid disease that ran in the family but only effected one sex. rather than a couple never being able to have children they could be given the chance to have a longed for child by selecting the sex.

sorry if thats already been said not read all the post.:dohh:

I think unless it is to prevent a disease it shouldn't be allowed. If you start being able to pick and choose the gender of your baby to suit then it may lead to people 'designing' their baby - wanting to pick the hair colour or the eye colour, where will it end :shrug:

You get what your given, you should be happy with just that :thumbup:

When I first read the OP I thought I would be dead against it, but If it means that said child would end up more loved, have a better life because its a particular sex then yes. But overall I dont agree with it for this reason.

100% agree

i say yes but only for certain reasons my aunty has 3 children 2girls and 1 boy.. she is a carryer of something that only boys gets, her son has it and of course her 2 DD's could carry it to pass it on..

I dont think it would really make a inbalence in somewhere like england tbh since here most women want a girl and most men want a boy iykwim? or people want 2 children but want 1 of each.

But i think it would be REALLY bad in countrys that certainly favor one sex over the other

i dont agree with it

im currently carrying boy number 5 and would i go back and choose different genders if i could? not for a second!! you get what youre given and thats that

obviously geder selection for medical reasons is an entirely different matter its for medical reason not just because parents dont want another boy/girl

I dont agree with it at all, it is just wrong.

I can see both sides of this issue. In my culture/community (South East Asian) male babies are very much the ultimate aim for a lot of expectant mums, mainly because there is so much pressure from mother in laws/extended family for the woman to produce a male heir to carry on the family name.

When I was pregnant with my daughter we were firmly team yellow and I lost count of the number of well wishers (mainly female) who would say things like "may go bless you with a beautiful son" - and I know there was disappointment fromthe inlaws when I had my beautiful daughter. Me and hubby were over the moon that we ha a beautiful healthy baby but there was a lot of " a girl? - aww well maybe you will be lucky next time" like wtf?!?! - found it all very upsetting tbh.

I know of couples who have had ended up having more children than they ever intended just to get the coveted son. I also know of couples who have gone abroad to india an pakistan to sex selection clinics to choose the sex of their child an that in my opinion is wrong. Sex selection on the basis or belief that one sex is superior than the other is wrong in my opinion.

I also know many women who have had their marriages end or breakdown due to not being able to have a baby boy.

no. definitely not. its not right imo. its playing god.

nope, a child is a privilege not a human right, gender selection is wrong, if you want a child enough, you will love it regardless of the sex

I totally disagree with this for lots of reasons, probably also for medical reasons but I'd have to think that through more before committing. I believe that cultures who favour one sex over the other are wrong to do so. As I understand it in China families are allowed a second child if their first is a girl. In the UK we're really not so far removed from boys being favoured for inheritance reasons. Well actually I'd argue that was an excuse and simply a result of a patriarchal society, but that's a different debate! It would certainly lead to societal gender imbalance which I think would have a knockon effect for allsorts of social processes.

Anyway the fundamental thing is that we have children and it is our responsibility to care for and nurture them regardless of sex, looks, skills, disabilities, etc. My brother has just had his 5th son. I reckon they'd have liked a mix but clearly his girl sperm are broken! Lol. They love all their boys and wouldn't wish them any other way.

I'm against it.

I thought I wanted a boy, and for a split second at the 20 week scan where they can tell gender my heart sank when I found out it was a girl. That being said, right after that my heart rose about 15 times higher when I realized we were having a little girl! :happydance:

If I had been able to choose, I would've picked a boy. I would've loved my boy but I'd never have known the joy of having a girl too. I wouldn't trade her for the world!

^^ What Tiff said, but in reverse. (boy, rather than girl.)

I can quite easily see both sides however, and i would never tell someone "dont do it" because ultimately it is their child to love and care for. If anything would make that love and care stronger, then so be it.

I wouldn't now, but i could have easily saw myself doing it before i had H.

The disease thing is interesting too - apparently i carry 2 different blood disorders/diseases - i have the haemophilia gene and could have passed this to H, and i have type 2 von willebrand disease - H had to be checked for both. If i had more severe disorders it would be a lot more worrying. :shrug: i dont know. completely torn if im honest.

I don't think it should be allowed . there are countries like India or china where there is a quite an imbalance of female versus male people because of the pressure of women to have a male baby. I think this is one case where if you disregard nature you get quite an imbalance which isnt good .

I don't think I agree with it at all.
It shouldn't matter the gender, what is carried in what gender, etc.
I don't think I would want a kid who is "genetically healthy" just because I made sure he/she didn't carry something. I would love my kid for who he/she is.
Like one said, we're playing God. I don't think that's quite right.
:shrug:

I think unless it is to prevent a disease it shouldn't be allowed. If you start being able to pick and choose the gender of your baby to suit then it may lead to people 'designing' their baby - wanting to pick the hair colour or the eye colour, where will it end :shrug:

As a previous egg donor I don't see anything wrong with people picking certain traits or genders for their babies. It happens all the time and these kids are loved. If I got picked for having blonde hair in the past so be it. Little blonde kids will be loved...no biggie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->