Debate - Choosing sex of children?

bluebaby

Wife & mum to a princess
Reaction score
Should people be allowed to choose the sex of their children?

Freedom of choice would say yes, parents should be allowed to choose the sex of their child and how their family is formed. On the other hand this freedom of choice could lead to a serious gender imbalance.

what do you think - lets debate :flower:

I agree with the imbalance. However, sometimes certain genders are not as "loved" by their parents because they were desperately wishing for the opposite gender.

i will admit that i thought about this for a bit because in some ways of IVF they can pick the sex for extra price, but then i thought i would be happy with whatever i got as long as it was healthy so in the end i said no but its up to each person i guess.

When I first read the OP I thought I would be dead against it, but If it means that said child would end up more loved, have a better life because its a particular sex then yes. But overall I dont agree with it for this reason.

Culture has a lot to do with it as well ... example chinese culture and how they view girls in society, its 'normal' for them to prefer one sex over another. I don't agree with it due to the global imbalance that could be created if it was widely done.

I'm torn on this issue. On the one hand, I think it's a slippery slope toward 'designer' babies if it becomes the norm to use artificial insemination techniques to choose babies' genders. On the other hand, I think if a woman would end up with severe gender disappointment, it may be better to allow her to try for a particular gender rather than take the chance that she'll end up not wanting her baby, or treating it with indifference or resentment as it grows up.

It's such a difficult one this issue. One the one hand, I don't think we should be able to pick and choose what our children are going to look like or what sex they will be, it should just be what is. But on the other hand, it could save alot of children from a life of being unloved, neglect or even death. I don't know how widespread it is now but in China where they have the one child policy it is much more preferred to have a boy, millions of baby girls are "missing" because they were killed after being born a girl. I did read they didn't do sexing scans because if they found out they were having a girl they would try and induce a mc..
I'm kinda sitting on the fence with this one at the moment...

I can understand both sides on this, so I don't really know where I stand on it. I guess I can just say for myself...I would never do it. Gender does not matter to me.

to be honest i dont know about this one
its not for me but could help other families so i guess if it stops babys been hurt then its a good thing
but like i said i woudnt do it i would be happy with the sex no matter what xxx

I'm not quite sure where I stand on this at the moment, but as a question - would it really inbalance gender as a whole??

Is there a favoured gender?? If i'm being honest, i'd love one of each but I dont think I'd want one more than the other iykwim?!

Yes, especially in a lot of Asian countries, boys are more welcome...

I suppose I understand 'other' countries favouring the male gender but surely they must realise it wont go far without a woman! :smug:

Its not for me but i can understand why for MEDICAL reasons it can be a good thing some diseases/conditions only affect one sex like Lowes and heamaphillia and if you can prevent children being born with those conditions then that can be a very good thing.

Its not for me but i can understand why for MEDICAL reasons it can be a good thing some diseases/conditions only affect one sex like Lowes and heamaphillia and if you can prevent children being born with those conditions then that can be a very good thing.

Good point. I never even thought of that.

Maybe if it was a selected thing that only the docs can decided if you can decide...ie for medical including depression I would say also...

Did anyone see that programme on TV a couple of months back about couples trying to conceive the opposite sex because they had so many of the same sex already?

I watched that programme and it made me feel really sad it must be horrible to go through gender dissapointment but it must be awful for the kids as well when they grow up they are going to know they were only conceived in a bid to get the boy or girl mummy and daddy always wanted you would feel second best at the least.

Not unless it is for medical reasons ie. some diseases that only affect a given gender. And then serious conditions, life limiting etc. I think if you are going to be devastated by having a healthy child but not the gender you wanted then maybe you need to consider having a child. People are so used to the 'I want' culture, therefore i can'

hmm well it is already done in some countries where people want boys and of course in medical cases where there's a condition that affects one gender only. however i couldn't do it, it seems innocent enough when you think oh i'll have a girl but then at the same time you're choosing not to have a boy. i couldnt face choosing a baby not to be born. that may be sentimental but it sits uneasily with me

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
over35tryin
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->