Debate - Choosing sex of children?

I think unless it is to prevent a disease it shouldn't be allowed. If you start being able to pick and choose the gender of your baby to suit then it may lead to people 'designing' their baby - wanting to pick the hair colour or the eye colour, where will it end :shrug:

As a previous egg donor I don't see anything wrong with people picking certain traits or genders for their babies. It happens all the time and these kids are loved. If I got picked for having blonde hair in the past so be it. Little blonde kids will be loved...no biggie.

What does it matter what hair or eye colour your baby has? I don't get why people would want to pick and choose what their child looks like. They are essentially building and designing a child iykwim

I think unless it is to prevent a disease it shouldn't be allowed. If you start being able to pick and choose the gender of your baby to suit then it may lead to people 'designing' their baby - wanting to pick the hair colour or the eye colour, where will it end :shrug:

As a previous egg donor I don't see anything wrong with people picking certain traits or genders for their babies. It happens all the time and these kids are loved. If I got picked for having blonde hair in the past so be it. Little blonde kids will be loved...no biggie.

What does it matter what hair or eye colour your baby has? I don't get why people would want to pick and choose what their child looks like. They are essentially building and designing a child iykwim

They want the child to look like them maybe?
Donors are picked for looks, IQ, personalities.
Some people actually are against infertile couples choosing donor eggs because they think they could just adopt a needy child - I get that view but some moms want to carry their kids and that isn't selfish. Fertility treatments or adoption - no biggie to me as long as kids are being brought into loving homes. I don't think it's wrong to choose characteristics for their children if they so choose to and are in a position to do so. People aren't going to blindly pick donor eggs - it just doesn't happen so they pick based on traits they would like their kids to have.
I know a lot of couples who went that route and they are all awesome and their donor egg kids are great...loved and are happy.

Also people pick sperm donors and are given at least a list of characteristics that the donor may or may not have.

I think it's hard to get unless you are someone who has to go that route.

Once people start choosing characteristics (most of the ones you've mentioned are not a great deal genetically controlled, like IQ for example, so it's still quite pot luck) the problem is that there is a natural escalation to the point where people who can afford it will be able to select their offspring to have genetic traits that will give them an unfair advantage over poorer people. Just like private education means that richer parents can give their children a better start in life so would being able to select 'better' genetic traits that would help their child do better than others. Alongside the total lack of fairness and I would say ethics too on a large scale this would potentially reduce the genetic diversity of the human population ultimately making us more susceptible to pandemics and genetic defects.

Once people start choosing characteristics (most of the ones you've mentioned are not a great deal genetically controlled, like IQ for example, so it's still quite pot luck) the problem is that there is a natural escalation to the point where people who can afford it will be able to select their offspring to have genetic traits that will give them an unfair advantage over poorer people. Just like private education means that richer parents can give their children a better start in life so would being able to select 'better' genetic traits that would help their child do better than others. Alongside the total lack of fairness and I would say ethics too on a large scale this would potentially reduce the genetic diversity of the human population ultimately making us more susceptible to pandemics and genetic defects.

It is a potluck for some of those but many agencies won't even allow you to enter if you have not gone into college as most parents are looking for that as a quality. I would say firstly they choose you based on how your past cycles have gone, followed by age, how you look, then education or IQ level. I don't believe it causes an issue with genetic diversity though as no two random people have the same DNA so the next naturally blonde haired and green eyed donor is quite different than me still. You can't be a donor more than 6 times without very good reason.

For medical reason then maybe yes, that does make sense.

But otherwise...definitely not! Maybe having gender disappointment is hard to deal with..I don't know, but what if someone wants a dark haired baby..and they have blond, would they then start being disappointed?

It would just end up escalating until people are choosing every single trait for their baby. It's ridiculous imo.

Also..surely it's part of the fun of having a baby? Finding out if it's a boy or a girl..waiting for that surprise, seeing what he/she looks like...what is the point in already knowing?!

If you would be so disappointed with one over the other..then maybe re-thinking children in the first place would be a better decision.

No, it should not be allowed. Ever. I think it would be disgusting to start playing with nature.

It's better than some people who belong to certain cultures leaving their kids at orphanages or worse (I know we aren't supposed to talk about a certain subject on here) just because their kid happens to be a certain gender.
It happens, it's sad but it's not going to end. I couldn't even find out the gender of my baby until after the cut-off time for having a 'you know what' for that reason.
I'd be happier if those people could pick their baby's gender so that stuff doesn't happen so much.

I don't think two wrongs made a right. Sometimes we have to wait for societies to catch up and encourage them to do so. Making it easier would only make things worse.

I don't think two wrongs made a right. Sometimes we have to wait for societies to catch up and encourage them to do so. Making it easier would only make things worse.

You think China is going to change anytime soon for instance? Many cultures don't just "catch-up". Sometimes that's the way things are.
Girls, have to give away any property they possess to their husband and are not supposed to take care of their parents in old age. A daughters responsibility to her family ends when she gets married. She moves in with her husband, often in another village or town, and become part of her husband's family and helps care for them. In China there is an expression, "Daughters are like water that splashes out of the family and cannot be gotten back after marriage."

One farmer told the New York Times, “If you have a son he can go out and make money, then the whole family will be secure. If your daughter gets rich that’s a different thing altogether, because the money goes to her husband’s family.”

Boys are regarded as important because they look after property; inherit land; have more opportunities to get ahead in life than daughters; care for parents when they get old; and perform important ceremonial duties when the parents die.

Demographers have found that the boy-to-girl ratio increases the more strictly the one-child policy is enforced. One study of three villages in Shaanxi found that 114 boys to 100 girls were born in 1979 to 1983 when the "one child" policy was introduced; then dropped to 98 to 100 during a lenient period from 1984 to 1987; and soared to 145 to 100 in 1988 to 1993 when the policy was strictly enforced.

Many girls go hungry while food is directed to their brothers. A women with a younger brother told the Los Angeles Times, “My sister and I knew that all the good food went to him—when he was done, then we could eat.”

Many baby girls are simply neglected and die from causes related to poor nutrition or being poorly taken care of when sick.

In villages with easy access to ultrasound machines it is not unusual to find that 75 percent of the children born there are boys.

The suicide rate of women in childbearing years (generally between 15 and 34) has increased considerably since the policy was implemented, especially in smaller Chinese cities. This is believed to be due to pressure to produce a single child, as it is usually desired to have a male child.

According to the Los Angeles Times, many babies put up for adoption had not been abandoned by their parents, but confiscated by family planning officials.
https://factsanddetails.com/china.php?itemid=126&catid=4&subcatid=15

Sure the govt doesn't state having girls is a bad thing anymore but they make laws like a one child policy and girls can't carry on the family line like a boy there. If a family does want to keep a girl many times they will hide them, so the boy in the family gets all the medical care, etc.

The gender ratio is already totally off there. Sure we could all hope they just snap to their senses, that's wishful thinking. Reality is harsh.
There's a lot of suffering, I just feel bad for so many lost little girls.

It's ridiculous but it's life.

Well one day there won't be sufficient girls there for successful population stability so it'll break eventually. Besides organizations like the UN and Amnesty International can step in on unethical behaviour but they can't if there is legal gender selection.

so to the people who are 100% agaisnt it what about people who carry bad genes that only boys can inherit and can give the boy alot of problems though out his whole life?

As i said before my aunite carrys that gene and has 2 girls and 1 boy.. the boy is going to have really bad issues his whole life and her girls could be carryers of this gene to pass on yet again. **one of the girls is about to start tests to see if she carrys it** but it can be very dangerus *sp?* for the boy and affects the whole family and everyone around then.. Surely if you can help stop lots of people ending up with a problem is a good thing :shrug:

But if you think the boy shouldn't be born because of his suffering should the girl be born when she might pass it on to her own children? Perhaps people with these terrible diseases shouldn't have children at all to kill the diseases off? I'm being devil's advocate here. As I said in my first post I haven't really thought through my opinions on this with regards to health however I suspect they are the same. First we select the gender, technology develops and we screen embryos for the genetic cause, technology comes further and we can screen for some superficial trait at the same time. But only the rich. No, I believe it's a slippery slope and shouldn't embark on it.

For my own personal reasons no.I'm happy either way and would consider myself blessed for any sex child so long as they were healthy. For medical reason's like someone said for example certain things only a male/female could inherit then yes

What about 'survival of the fittest' .. does anyone think that is still important?! Nature's natural selection of the 'best' genes?

Well one day there won't be sufficient girls there for successful population stability so it'll break eventually. Besides organizations like the UN and Amnesty International can step in on unethical behaviour but they can't if there is legal gender selection.

I doubt the UN would ever step in on China and their unethical behavior.

I don't think it should be allowed at all. Anyone who would be disappointed (on a serious scale) to get the 'wrong' gender is not having a child for the right reasons in my opinion.

For health reasons i think it should be allowed in very strict circumstances. One of my family members couldn't carry boys and had numerous miscarriages which was detrimental to her health so in that case i think it would be appropriate. However, for other reasons i'm torn. Unless it can be proven that an illness would result in the child having absolutely no quality of life i see it as playing god. To suggest that children with certain illnesses should never exist scares me.

No i don't agree with it unless it is done for a medical reason. Children are precious and I don't like the idea of someone picking a sex because thats what prefer. They arnt possessions and people should be greatful for what they get.
Xx

nopeee... i don't agree with it ... its tough cookies in my book x

I don't agree with it either. Too much like a 'designer baby'.
Things happen for a reason and I would never be disappointed with a certain gender.
Your baby is your baby, regardless of gender. You should love them no matter what. You created them, I think that's enough for me to be happy about :) xxx

(I know my TTC ticker says 'think pink' but that doesn't mean I would be upset with a boy :) Just thought i'd say that ;))

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->