Debate: size 0 - how thin is too thin?

Size 0 in what country?
I can't imagine someone being a size 0 in the UK, but here there are lots of petite women who are a size 0. In North America they keep making the sizes bigger, so now there is 0, 00, and 000 - I was pretty much the same size before LO as when I was in High School and I went from an 8 to a 0 without losing a pound! :shock:
I weigh a little less now since I am breastfeeding, so I can fit a 0 easily. In the southern US, there are some stores where I can't fit anything cuz their size 0 is really a larger size... But no one ever thinks I am too skinny. Thinner than before LO, but not so much that I look unwell. But I couldn't get to a UK size 0 - I wouldn't have the strength to stand up! That would be tiny - I don't think I have ever seen someone naturally that small!

xx

Size 0 in what country?
I can't imagine someone being a size 0 in the UK, but here there are lots of petite women who are a size 0. In North America they keep making the sizes bigger, so now there is 0, 00, and 000 - I was pretty much the same size before LO as when I was in High School and I went from an 8 to a 0 without losing a pound! :shock:
I weigh a little less now since I am breastfeeding, so I can fit a 0 easily. In the southern US, there are some stores where I can't fit anything cuz their size 0 is really a larger size... But no one ever thinks I am too skinny. Thinner than before LO, but not so much that I look unwell. But I couldn't get to a UK size 0 - I wouldn't have the strength to stand up! That would be tiny - I don't think I have ever seen someone naturally that small!

xx

As OP is from the UK, I took it to mean a US size Zero, and a UK size 4? am I correct in thinking US size is two behind our sizing? I cant even imagine what a size 4 looks like, Ive only seen girls who look like a size 6 or 8. I dont know if there are even any shops in the UK that sell Size 4, Id imagine they would be childrens sizes.

I was anorexic in unviersity mostly. I am not sure what I was trying to look like. I felt very fat all the time. I looked at other girl's and always felt fatter. I would wear a big elastic band on my wrist, and if I thought about eating or food in general, I would snap it hard. I had bruises, but I liked it. I felt that I was being strong and resisting urges by doing this. In university is where I punished myself. If I did poorly on a test or paper, I would throw out my lunch as punishment. I would have a mustard packet instead. It got to the point where I had set such high standards, that I would never be eating. I would run on the tradmill and do stairmaster at the university gym everyday. Walk to and from the university -speed walking, everyday (5km) and then go swimming every night. I was about 110 pounds and I am 5'8". I wore baggy clothing like sweat pants to try and hide my ugly body. I am not sure where this all came in my head. I know it started, slowly, in high school where I wanted to be a model. But, I remember reading model's profiles and they were always tall and skinny...skinnier than me. I remember one model saying she needed to lose weight, and she was skinnier than me. I wondered how they did it. Maybe this was the start of it. I think it is more than just looking at magazines, or seeing models on runways....it is younger people, teens, preteens...who are fantacizing about modelling and are researching it. I think that it is easy to get caught up in that, and those models are "perfect" or they wouldn't be there. Now I am pregnant, and fat, for real! lol. I gained alot of weight. It is very very hard for me. When I diet, I don't really know how. I kind of go too far, but I have never been as bad as my early 20's where it really was spiralling. Funnily enough, no one EVER approached me. I went for a PAP once, and the doctor even told me that it was a "good weight" for me. Little did he know....

Oh, for sizes, I was a US/Canada size 2

Sizes are so unrealistic. I've got a eating disorder and in my teens when I was at my thinnest I still couldn't fit into a "size 0" as hips and that don't get smaller :nope:

I think a mix would be good. It's so stupid how we are now so educated about the body and how it works, yet still we expect all bodies to fit some "ideal" that everyone is supposed to look like. Not everyone looks the same and not everyone is capable of looking the same..

Hurrah for variety!

USA size 0 is UK4.

Hmm - that does seem small! I think the sizing here is much wonkier than over there so it is hard for me to say... Size 0 in most regular stores (not high end fashion - those are probably the "real" sizes) seems to be bigger than UK 4.

Anyway, although I am not in favour of discriminating against someone because of their size (large or small), I do think something needs to change because little girls are really being affected. And they don't know that dieting at a young age can mess with their body for much longer than the diet lasts for. A size 4 UK is really small - it might look ok on a petite woman, but models are usually 5'-9" or taller. My niece has been complaining about her weight since she was 10 years old and all her friends are the same :( Magazines set up unrealistic expectations for sure! xx

Taking my debate club hat off for a moment.

I think the most important thing we can do for our daughters (and sons) is to teach them about good body image from a very early age. I have a good body image but I still have to stop myself saying negative things about my body. Kids see their mum standing in front of the mirror saying negative things about themselves and they learn that that's what you do. IMO

Topshop sells UK4 in their petite range, its titchy, but it sells - there is a market out there, but not the "tall and thin" demographic that catwalk models fit into.

I dont think a certain size should be banned from the catwalk - hey, if a girl is lucky enough to be 5ft 10 or above, and size 8 or below (what i think most agencies look for) then good for her. What she does with her weight after she has got jobs however is subject to peer pressure - LOTS of tall thin girls competing. Of course weight will be the first thing to go, so they get noticed. It's money afterall.

Airbrushing doesn't bother me in the slightest. It wont stop me from thinking "wow her waist" even if i know its been graphically slimmed down... Annoyingly i just think "lucky her" and turn over. I've read vogue since i was 13, and used photoshop since then too... so i'm used to it. To me, its blatant what bits have been changed.

Skin textures and stuff, IMO look better when they've been touched up ... no one wants to see acne on the cover ... or anywhere else for that matter. It wouldn't exactly sell clearasil now would it ;)

If they are lucky enough to be that slim naturally then let them be on the catwalk. But you'll still get that competitive side to it.. regardless of any restrictions they set.

:shrug:

I think the most important thing we can do for our daughters (and sons) is to teach them about good body image from a very early age. I have a good body image but I still have to stop myself saying negative things about my body. Kids see their mum standing in front of the mirror saying negative things about themselves and they learn that that's what you do. IMO

I totally agree. I know someone who has their 11 year old daughter (who is rail thin, size Canada 00) on a diet. It starts with the parents. It really does.

Should size 0 be allowed on the catwalks runways? Yes. There are natural size 0s out there, variety would be nice though.... and designers want their clothes to look good?? How about designing clothing that looks great on average sized women with realistic bodies :shrug: I am not saying they should (or shouldn't) do that but just pointing out how silly it sounds. At 5ft, I've been a size 0, and it doesn't look nearly as thin on my height as it does on someone model height lol.

Are we obsessed with our weight? Yes.

Is the increase in eating disorders in our children down to the airbrushing in magazines? Yes and no, I don't even know that I can comment on why people have EDs, but I'm sure it's not helping any. The picture of perfection painted is unattainable, really. Even the models don't look like their photos.. magazines etc don't see themselves as being in the wrong with the photoshopping because they assume people know that the images have been altered-- but do people really understand how much you can change a person's looks with it? Take years off their age, add a tan, make them lighter, thinner, get rid of cellulite, stretchmarks...

Totally agree!! I am really trying to focus on 'not' being negative about my body because I know my LO will pick up on it and start trying to find fault with her own body as she gets older, and that would kill me :cry:

at the end of a day, it's all down to business! Companies want their products to sell. They dont airbrush to make the model 'thinner', they airbrush to give a more appealing shape. Which is ironic really, because if they used a curvier model they wouldnt need to airbrush the curves in :dohh:
although we may not realise it, simple things like shapes really do help sell a product. If you look at pictures of watches (analogue), you will notice that alot of them seem to be set at the time 1:50 / 10:10 because it gives the 'hands' symmetry (<- cant spell that word. lol) and resembles a 'smile' which consumers resond positively to!

Models can and do get turned away for being too thin. But like someone has said, a designer is going to use whatever helps their designs sell. So catwalks should be allowed "size 0", but I think the real question should be, should shops use size 0 (coz lets be honest, how many of us genuinely sit and watch all the designer catwalk shows?)??

I was a natural size 0 for most of my life, I got a lot of mean comments from people about having a "boy's body", no boobs, etc. all body types should be embraced. There is a huge difference between being a size 0 and having an eating disorder that meets the clinical definition.

I don't have a daughter, but even with my son, I surround him with other examples. We are very into fitness/weight lifting/physical activity, and my role models are more women who are active in sports and are certainly no weaklings!

You can't hide the reality of anorexia and eating disorders from your daughters, just like you can't hide alcoholism or drug addiction. Those things exist in the world. If I had to hide an alcoholic, my son would never meet his grandfather. I think that exposure to good role models is more effective than shuffling bad ones under the carpet. Kids are vulnerable but they aren't stupid, we need to let them learn to make the right decisions.

I've only read the first two pages so sorry if this has already been said but I think it's worth remembering that some people find it just as hard to gain weight as others do to lose it. (I am not one of them :haha:)
I've often heard someone say to a very thin person 'God you're so skinny, you need to eat something' That could be so hurtful to someone who hates their small frame, and you wouldn't say something like 'you're huge! Go on a diet!' to someone who was overweight. I think there's a double standard. Having said that, I do think the fashion/celebrity world is not representative of real women which can have a negative effect on body image of the average gal.

I dont know if there really is a size where you can say yeah this is too thin, my bmi is around 16, im a size 0 and im 5 foot 10. Im also perfectly healthy:thumbup:

People seem to think that im fair game for hurtful comments though:nope:

Some people are just very thin just like some people are very fat, and there are eating disorders associated with both extremes.

I actually think it is very discriminating to not allow size 0 models on stage, in fact im willing to bet there are more natural size 0 models than naturally size 18/20 models as some people say should be allowed. By natural I mean the appropriate energy taken in to burned upl.

this thread makes me want to go on a diet.

I find sizes vary from store to store depending on where the clothes was made. I originally wre a size 3 for jeans but the was before LO. Now it's mostly size 5 or 6 depending on style and where it's bought. I've never dieted or obssessed, just happen to be lucky enough to eat what I want and never gain. I'm very small framed so I wouldn't want to be heavier than I am, hard on bones. I have friends that are 30 pounds heavier than I am but they can wear a size 14 and look just as good , they have a huskier frame than mine.

Should size 0's be allowed on the catwalk?

Yes they should imo.
I think every single body shape and size should be given a chance to model as long as they have a healthy lifestyle, regardless of size. People come in all shapes and sizes. Surely the only think that should matter is if they are healthy or unhealthy and not how 'big' nor 'small' they may be.
People should not be punished for being a small clothing size since in some people this cannot be helped - genes, metabolism, height, frame etc. all contribute to this.
Excluding people who are size 0's from catwalk modelling is doing exactly what people complain about with 'bigger' sizes, just at the opposite end of the spectrum.

The only people to be excluded from modelling I believe, are those who are unhealthy. Whether it be anorexic/bulemic or grossly overweight (not due to health issues because that cannot be helped, but due to living an unhealthy life with excessive junk food/no excercise etc.).

Are we obsessed with our weight?

I think the majority of women are. I don't know anyone who can say they are 100% happy with the way they look, whether it be loosing a bit more weight, toning up, gaining weight, how other's weigh etc.etc.

Airbrushing in Magazines

Everything get's aribrushed, thats media and publicising for you. I don't mind when people get airbrushed to get rid of a few pimples/spots/blemishes etc. However, when the airbrushing goes too far and changes the whole body shape of the person by a good few inches then I don't understand them. Why pick someone to model and then do that to them? Why not get someone who already fits the ideal criteria you want and show a real person, not some graphically enhanced body.

I don't think we need to go as far as banning models if they are not a certain size. There are some skinny models that you can tell are naturally thin, but you can also see the ones that have obviously starved themselves, they look skeletel and bony. I would love to see alot more different sized models, I don't want to see what the clothes look like on a size 0 woman, because I am nowhere near size 0. Yes, the clothes they make do tend to look better on skinny woman, but maybe the designers could really give themselves a challenge and make them to suit larger models. It's just sad that we all think that these size 0 models are the perfect size and we should all need to look like them to be attractive.

Yes I do think we are obsessed with our weight. I don't know a person out there who is completely happy with their weight and/ or the way they look. It makes me so sad to think one day my daughter will be obsessing about her weight or how she looks because to me she looks so perfect. :cry:

I don't like airbrushing. I think makeup should be allowed to be used to cover up blemishes etc and even bronzer for giving them a tanned look but never use a computer program to give them skin as smooth as a babies bottom, a tan and shape their body! It's so unnatural and although I can see that now, as a teenager I thought this was what all people looked like irl. Our kids are looking at these people, their idols, in magazines and aspire to be like them, when in reality they will never be able to look like that because it's all fake. I well remember trying and failing to look like these people in magazines as a teenager and still bare the scars (physical & emotional) from the deep depression I had when I couldn't be like these models. :cry:

should size 0 be allowed on the catwalks runways?
no because its just not right, its not healthy. At the same time i also think it would be wrong to have obese people on a catwalk as well.

Are we obsessed with our weight?

as a society? god yes and its horrible. I dont know one woman that doesn't go on about her weight (apart from me) and i find it odd. My OH's sister is i dunno a size 8 or 10 but its not natural she used to be a bit bigger i think and she always has something to say about food and MIL is the same its always "oo ill only have half". I would hate River to grow up with that attitude. I am a happy size 12 used to be a 10 but such is life. Of course i have some jiggly bits but im not going to question what i eat because of it.

I saw a jo frost show and there were kids as young as 5 saying they wanted to be skinnier and it makes me sick.

Is the increase in eating disorders in our children down to the airbrushing in magazines?

Hmmm i dont know about this one because the models on the run ways havnt been airbrushed. When i look at magazines i dont think omg they look amazing to me they just look normal though i guess they always give them a tan which usually makes someone look healthy even though they arnt.

When i was growing up i saw lots of skinny models in magazines but i honestly never wanted to be like them, i dont understand why suddenly all these girls do. Id rather have a bit of meat on my bones then be all skin and bones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->