Debt Payers and Savers Support group

^^^ yup!! And you could even put the free £200 towards your debts! :happydance:

So iv decided we really are not going to manage to save much money with a new baby on the way and various other things going on.
So my plan is that everything we need must be paid for in cash rather than credit.
we need a new carseat for lucas when he needs it, new baby stuff then all the birthdays we have and xmas. My plan os for all of this is to be paid for in full. Il be very happy if this works :)

So iv decided we really are not going to manage to save much money with a new baby on the way and various other things going on.
So my plan is that everything we need must be paid for in cash rather than credit.
we need a new carseat for lucas when he needs it, new baby stuff then all the birthdays we have and xmas. My plan os for all of this is to be paid for in full. Il be very happy if this works :)

That's what I do. I have a tin (an old SMA tin lol) on the counter in the kitchen that has envelopes in it with the items I need to save for on them. At the moment I have a new bike for Earl, a new car seat for Eddy and a new bed for Charlie in there. I'm sure there's something I need to add but it's escaping me lol. When I empty my purse or get a bit of cash I put it straight in there in it's envelopes. That way when I need to buy something (we need all 3 of those things by April :dohh:) I already have a chunk if not all of it available.

I'm in a bit of a dilemma at the moment...
I was in halifax today opening babies savings account and the man said if I switch my current account to halifax they will give me £200 (usually £100 but as we have our mortgage with them it's £200) and they give you £5 a month. Bit of a no brainer but they only offer a £1000 overdraft and mine Is nearer £2000 so I'd have to try and pay that off which could leave things tight... Argh I don't know what to do....
I don't even know how to pay my overdraft off... Do I wait till all the direct debits have gone out for that month and then pay it??

You could transfer all your direct debits etc across to halifax, leave your overdraft where it is and transfer x amount over every month until your overdraft is paid off.

xx

This! There's nothing to say you need to do it in one go. Leave the account open, pay it off bit by bit then have that account as a spare (or in our case) spending account or close it once it's paid off. That way you could also start afresh with no overdraft on your new account. :thumbup:

Thanks everyone but part of the condition of the switch is that the old account is closed :( it's a really good opportunity for me and the push I need to get if closed (it's costing me £32 a month in interest and fees), it's just scary for me. I don't want to have to go begging to my mum like I did last mat leave!

That's what I do. I have a tin (an old SMA tin lol) on the counter in the kitchen that has envelopes in it with the items I need to save for on them. At the moment I have a new bike for Earl, a new car seat for Eddy and a new bed for Charlie in there. I'm sure there's something I need to add but it's escaping me lol. When I empty my purse or get a bit of cash I put it straight in there in it's envelopes. That way when I need to buy something (we need all 3 of those things by April :dohh:) I already have a chunk if not all of it available.

That is a great idea!!!!!

I've had a call from the gym tonight to pay off my £44 debt to them for 2 months membership :( I've cancelled my membership now thank god !

So that's £44 out of my savings.... Blah.

Also have to save for Elijah's christening in March, hoping his father will help me with that cost. Xx

wish i could do this!! amazing, for ebay users

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs2fB3DxbzU

Interesting! Sounds like you need a lot of knowledge though! I'm off to have a look all the same

Hi everybody... How's the saving going?

Aimee~Lou! please may I be added to the front page? My goal is to save £1000 for flights by the end of August. Thank you :)

So far I'm at £90. Xx

Hi all, please can I join?

Sorry to hear about your dog Rhi Rhi

We have not had the best end of 2013 and start of the year with our car, it cost us £500 just before Christmas and it has just failed the MOT. We have to replace 1 tyre to pass but they have given us advice that 2 more tyres will soon need replacing aswel as the front brakes and discs. We have also just had to replace our windscreen and the service is also due. It is so frustrating as we was not prepared so had to use a credit card to pay.

Our goals for this year -
Pay off £1500 on credit card
Save £500 in emergency fund
Save £1000 for Christmas
Save £2500 towards our Florida holiday

=
Pay off £1500 by 01/10/2014
Save £4000 by 31/12/2014

Please can I also be added? My goal is to pay off £1500 by 01/12/2014 and save £4000 by 31/12/2014. Thank you :flower:

So sorry guys! :dohh:

Both of you are now added.

How are we all doing? I've stalled slightly I think given hubby's birthday which was expensive but I'm on it now and determined. I think I've done all I can this term with savings - have applied for housing benefit (have been entitled for a while it's just such a pain doing it lol!) so hopefully that will help as I completely overspent and bolloxed up my budget for the next 3 months. We don't get another pay from SLC until end of April :dohh:

Just trying to keep selling stuff as that will help out a little. My savings for Jan - £38.49

Thanks Aimee-Lou :flower:

What's SLC?

Can they back pay housing benefit? Xx

Thanks Aimee-Lou :flower:

What's SLC?

Can they back pay housing benefit? Xx

You're welcome. SLC is the Student Loans Company.

They can but they need mountains of evidence for it. I have had it before and I know that I have only been entitled since the beginning of January, so I'm not too fussed. They backdate to the date of your initial application as it is, so that's good enough for me. Hubby is currently doing his Access to Learning grant. Hopefully this will bring in a few extra pennies to tide us over. In the meantime I'm trying to spend as little as possible - i.e. living out of the cupboards lol - for the next week or 2.

Managed to save febs target already so doing well :D another 300 saved! Hopefully I'll be able to put another 100 in the pot by march.

Its amazing what you can find in your cupboards amiee lou!!

Well done blah!! Xx

I thought I was getting my free council tax this month but its next month as it comes out on the 28th. I already had plans for that money :( owell just have to wait until next month.

my savings arent increasing in the slightest im not good at this

Well done blah!
Catty I'm not good at it either...
I got fed up today and bought some new clothes, I desperately needed them but it doesn't feel like a good use of money right now.
Is everyone feeling the pinch after Christmas? I am and with the early pay days for Christmas it's feeling like a looooong month!

I thought I was getting my free council tax this month but its next month as it comes out on the 28th. I already had plans for that money :( owell just have to wait until next month.

my savings arent increasing in the slightest im not good at this

Well hubby and I had a chat last night, went over the figures for his form and it's become apparent it's time for me to return to work.

It's a bitter pill and i know it makes me sound so spoiled but i have so enjoyed being at home and the original plan was for me to be off until at least september so it's not a nice feeling. However it's not like I'm going back full time. I can only 'afford' to do evenings/weekends otherwise it's not worth it, so you're looking at 20hours tops a week. Oh well, job centre here I come! :nope:

On the plus side, if I do manage to find work (didn't manage it last time I was job-hunting before having Charlie) we'll be able to save anything extra we do get from A2L for example, as that will be 'extra' which should help us be able to move house. :thumbup:

Aimee Lou I hope you find an evening job so you can still be at home with the boys, that would be ideal. That extra money will really help you with your saving!! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->