December Snowflakes 2014 ***Come and join!!***

I looked at the stokke. They didn't do one that met all our requirements really (that I saw..).

Just bought the mountain buggy urban jungle and the maxi cosi pebble car seat. EEEEEK!!

Feel like it's too soon to be shopping still!!!!!

Zig, definitely not too early. I had my sons room completely decked out with furniture and decor by then of month three, lol. Had the stroller by end of month four! Which by the way, those things are not the easiest to put together. The guy in the store told us just a quick snap here and there and that was basically it. Lies! It took me and my hubbs together 2.5 hours to put that together. The jogging stroller was much easier though. I'm dreading putting together the double stroller.

Haha luckily my OH is a master of DIY and basically can fix, mend or make anything!!! So I will leave it to him :D

I have a totally unrelated question.

Have ladies been offered the whooping cough vaccine? It's offered here from 28-38 weeks because of the serious outbreak there was. Apparently baby will be protected for a few weeks after birth.

My concern/anxiety is that they have literally just changed the vaccine here in July!! I don't think it was even used in pregnancy before this, so the long-term effects are unknown (although all date points to it being safe, I have a science degree and a social care degree and know with 100% certainty that most research is totally biased and conducted or funded in some part by the company selling the product!!).

I'm not against vaccinations at all, I just wondered if people had any thoughts on the change? Will you get it? It covers whooping cough, but there's no single vaccine so also has polio, diphtheria and tetanus thrown in for good measure.

I got it with my son, so did hubbs. I'll get it again this time. I haven't heard of any changes to it though.

There's also this:

https://www.gsk.com.au/resources.as...9B7BE9AAAE4A4A8BF257A9F34/Boostrix_IPV_PI.pdf

Scroll to page 11. Says there's not enough human data to comment on use in pregnancy.., they've done tests in rats though :D so ya know... Lol.

And

Although there is so much experience of the use of the vaccine, it was not studied as part of a clinical trial in pregnancy. This is why the manufacturer’s information leaflets for both Repevax and Boostrix-IPV state that the vaccine is 'not recommended for use in pregnancy' or 'should be used during pregnancy only when clearly needed'.

https://www.ovg.ox.ac.uk/pertussis-vaccine-in-pregnancy

I don't want baby to get sick though :( Wah.

I'll be getting it. When I was born there was a scare over the (baby) wc vaccine so my mum didn't get me vaccinated. When I was 5 I got the disease and had a really bad dose of it.

My mum says to this day if she'd known how bad it was she would have got me vaccinated no matter what the risks.

It's one of my earliest memories and I can't imagine what a new born would be like with it.

To my mind, yes we don't fully know the effects of the vaccine but we DO know the effects of the disease.

Just my 2p worth though!

Baby will get the tried and tested vaccinations! But just wondering about this untested in pregnancy one!! Think I'm going to look at infection rates where I live. We are so rural baby isn't even likely to come into contact with anyone, and I may get my own booster done after birth it that's possible.. I don't mind being a Guinea pig!

I know it's morbid but I also checked the fatality rate and found its 0.5% under 6 months.

when we started ttc, i updated the vaccinations - i got 3 doses of pertussis. last one was in may 2013. i guess i am covered, but baby is not. i should ask. should hubby get this shot?

the warning is probably due to the fact that pregnant women are not tried in clinical tests - so there is no data to say dangerous or safe based on trials. but apparently based on observation, the vaccine is safe ?? :// ??

I made hubbs get it with our son. A lot of people make whoever is coming in close contact with the child get...so grandparents, aunts/uncles...and a lot of the daycare workers get it too.

I'm pretty sure they recommend you get it again pathos... From what I read. And the new vaccine was only introduced in July so we'd be the Guinea pigs for this one. The previous one they looked at 20000 women and reckoned it was OK. But you're right, there have been no clinical trials in pregnant women. Only rats.

I work with children and families and we've never been told about it. Only reason I knew is I read it somewhere and the midwife suggested it.

Ah decisions decisions :D and so it begins.... :lol:

I appreciate that, but I guess you know 99% of those medicines are tried and monitored and you can feel confident there's been no ill effects (thanks to all those who've had it before you). I probably would be more confident if they hadn't decided to just change the vaccine in July this year. So effectively we are the triers and testers.

I'm not 100% decided, and have a few weeks to decide yet... Guess I'm just cautious!!

Thanks ND that makes sense, hubby has no vaccination, and I will also ask my mom to get this and diphtheria done. I am tearful, we count the days to hold them in our arms, but they are more safe and protected in our bellies :cry: So many things to worry about.

Hehe Ziggy to complicate the matters for you: In Germany, they suggest that you get whooping cough shot either before getting pregnant or after the delivery - they do not mention whooping cough to pregnant women :wacko:

RaeChay that's what I also meant, they cannot test stuff on pregnant women. This goes for herbs as well. I used to use cinnamon as a substitute for sugar (tea/coffee etc), and I had to stop it, although i don't buy the claims regarding cinnamon and miscarriage.

Lol everything is so complicated :D

At least we chose a pram finally :lol:

Pathos, never heard of the deal with cinnamon. Use it all the time...in fact just put some on my French toast this morning!

I've been eating cinnamon too, not heard that! I've also been eating runny eggs... I love my poached eggs and dippy eggs!!!!

Typically my social life is pretty non-existent but we've had a hectic weekend. 40 th birthday party last night and we didn't get home till 3am! Then this afternoon we had a 2 year old birthday party at the open Farm. In the LASHING rain. And Conor was in full-on terrible two mode. I'm exhausted!!!

Yikes con...busy, busy!

AFM, baby must have shifted and uncurled cause I've been feeling him/her down low and up high at the top of my belly at the same time. Been happening for a few days, but this is time I love most! I love feeling/seeing baby move all over like this!

Urgh the weather is horrible no wonder you're tired!!

That's lovely ND :D Think mine has moved too but more because the kicks aren't as strong as they were in the week :(

I'm feeling proper impatient today. December feels forever away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->