**December Snowflakes - 2016**

I can hardly keep up with this thread. Congratulations to all the mummies who have their babies.

Sometimes mine feels very unreal but I am most definitely looking forward to seeing it and holding it in my arms.
I had a sweep yesterday and been having a show and BH since. I'm thinking it will be the middle of next week before baby is here. Hopefully I manage to escape being induced on 23rd. Trying not to think about it would really like the baby home for Christmas.

TommyG I am getting anxious about baby arriving on Christmas Day too :( I really hope she comes early next week so we can hopefully be home and settled in time for Christmas Day.

Jezika how are you doing, has baby arrived?

My baby has been getting constant hiccups the last few days. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm thinking it must be her practicing breathing.

I have had a bit more cm the last couple of days but that's literally my only sign :( no proper plug, the occasional BH but nothing like proper contractions. Ahh. I hope she can tell that I've literally got no plans after tomorrow so it's time for her to come :haha:

That's promising, rose! FX for you and anyone else waiting!

So Matilda has finally arrived! On the 15th in fact. Life has been super hectic since then and I no longer know what sleep is (currently 5am and nursing her after having had maybe 4 hours' broken sleep since she was born).

Ironically, after all my complaining about being overdue and how I felt like she will never, ever come, when she did come it was fast and furious - within about six hours of first having triage check my cervix at hospital (before which they assumed they'd have to send me home for 12 hours with cervadil), I had her in my arms, with less than an hour of pushing and the midwives scrambling to prepare for delivery. Had to switch off even the low dose of oxytocin because the contractions came almost instantly two minutes apart and I had to wait for an epidural. I have to say I'm proud of silently breathing through the contractions (thanks to hypnobirthing), but the idea of having to keep doing that for potentially many, many more hours seemed like torture to me. Turns out I was already up to 8cm dilated by the time I got the epidural! Oh, and it was such bliss. I went from feeling pretty miserable to absolutely fantastic and could actually enjoy the labour.

DH and I (me with a mirror) watched Tilly being born at 9:36pm on Dec 15. She was perfectly healthy, no cord around her neck or anywhere else like I'd feared throughout the pregnancy, and an APGAR score of 9 at birth at 10 at five mins. I got some perineal tearing because she came so fast (needed stitches) and she got a hemotoma on her beautiful little head where the midwife thinks she must've very quickly turned 100 degrees from a semi-occipital position, the long way around to the normal birthing position. Her arm must've gotten stuck during this ambitious twist, because she came out with an arm behind her head, like a diva. She was placed on my chest right after birth and we waited till the cord drained, and then DH cut the cord. She latched super quickly and we were so in awe of her generally. The placenta delivery was a bit more tricky because it didn't seem to want to detach completely within a good time, and the docs had actually turned up to do the allegedly not-very-nice procedure right when I managed to push it out during my final attempt, whew!

Later, the midwives gave me a "tour" of my placenta, which was pretty neat (we have pictures; great for Christmas cards) and noted that it was pretty old and tired-looking and that they were surprised it did such a great job for Matilda so much past her due date!

Anyway, we were home around three hours after delivery and somehow coordinated our entire visit to the hospital around a snowstorm, which started and then stopped all while we were there (my poor midwife had to get there halfway through, though she got to go home pretty early, so that makes up for it!).

Our baby Tilly was 7 lbs 8.3 oz, almost exactly as the ultrasound estimated days before, and mercifully much smaller than I had expected!

Some pics:

Attachments

• IMG_0110.jpg
    IMG_0110.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0108.jpg
    IMG_0108.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0098.jpg
    IMG_0098.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0084.jpg
    IMG_0084.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 2
It's been a while since I've visited the site! Congratulations to all of the moms that have delivered! I hope all of your bundles of joy are healthy and happy.

And I hope all of the moms still waiting are holding up okay. It can't be easy with the holidays rolling around. So far, the cold weather is helping with that insane, burning feeling in my feet. Maybe it's doing the same for all of the ladies here. I literally shuffle my feet along the tile floor for a cooling effect. :p

I also have good news. After 48 days since my daughter's birth, she was finally released from the hospital. We've been home now for about 2 weeks. It's been a complete blessing to have my parents around to help. Because of how premature my daughter is, she sometimes sleeps through her feedings so we all have to wake her up every 3 hours so none will be missed.
My daughter went home at 4 lbs. 11 oz. and is now 5 lbs. 6 oz. She's become so active and social since her release from the hospital. I can hardly believe she's been home so long.

I'm still counting down the days until her original due date (12/29/2016). Once she reaches that point, the doctor says we can start comparing her milestones to that of full term babies.

Congratulations Jezika I'm so glad she's finally arrived safely! Hopefully you'll get some more sleep soon.

I'm also so glad that your daughter is home Expatmom - hope you have a lovely family Christmas!

Congrats Jezika! I'm so excited for you. Thanks for sharing your beautiful birth story and pictures of your gorgeous baby girl. I hope breastfeeding starts going smoothly soon and that you get some sleep. (ha... I know it is sometimes impossible!)

Expat mom, I'm so glad baby is home now! I'm glad you have help. It's so hard to feed a sleepy baby. My twins only arrived 5 weeks early but also came home low birth weight and on a 3 hr schedule but lately they wake themselves up every 3 hrs like clockwork. Today's their due date though so I'm hoping it will get easier over the next month.

Congrats ladies. I haven't been on much as I've been more active in the Facebook group, but Aria arrived for us on 11/30 at 4:10pm. I was 38+2. I went in for my regular appointment and got put in the hospital for high BP and protein in my urine. Luckily I didn't have pre-e but I did go into labor while in the hospital so they went ahead with my c-section. Aria is doing amazing...she's a great baby. Her big sister is still having trouble adjusting though; she's used to being queen of the castle! ;)

Congratulations Bubbles! I am sure it will just take some time for her to get used to it, she's still so little herself. My son is almost 4 but I'm still expecting a fair amount of jealousy!!

I'm going for a sweep this morning, bit nervous as I've not had one before so I don't really know what to expect, and poor DS is going to have to come with me as I have nobody around to ask (DH is at work, mums at work, leaving him with a friend would probably be more upsetting for him than him having to come - he's a bit clingy at the moment!!). I hope it helps to get things moving but at least if it doesn't, I might get an idea as to whether I'm even a little bit dilated etc.

Congratulations jessicasmum, oneday, bubbles and jezika! So exciting to hear all these announcements (I know I've already congratulated a couple of you on Facebook!)

ExpatMomKorea - I'm so happy your little girl is home and you can enjoy a family Christmas.

I'm feeling fed up. I've been having contractions on and off for 11 days now and been losing my plug over the last 4 days. I know it's still early but it's felt like she's coming so many times. I had a really painful contraction last night and was convinced it was happening but nope! I really wanted her before Christmas and am now worried she'll come on Christmas Day aargh!

Rose - I hope the sweep is ok today! I've got a second one booked for tomorrow and am just looking forward to seeing if these contractions have been doing anything!

It was fine thanks :) DS was really good and stayed outside the curtain with his colouring pens and stickers, and it only took a minute or so. Was quite uncomfortable. I've had some light staining since and everything feels quite wet (tmi sorry!!), have had a few niggly pains/cramps too. Nothing to get too excited about though so we will see if it makes any difference.

I'm really worried baby is going to come on Xmas day too! It would be so nice if she came in the next couple of days so we can get used to life with a newborn and join in with Xmas at SIL's. DS loves spending time with his cousins and I so want to see him open his presents.

Rose well done getting LO to sit with stickers while you had it done. Fingers crossed it actually does something for you.
Mine on Friday seems only to have caused a show and Braxton hicks.

Anyone know what the average time from pessary gel is to delivery (esp for second baby?)

Sorry your sweep hasn't worked TommyG. I'm not convinced mine will, but baby girl has been going crazy tonight pushing down with her head and up with her feet! I have heard a weird click sound a couple of times too - reminds me of when you pull your fingers and they click?! Has anyone else had this?!

Is the clicking maybe your pelvis, is it sore?
Rose I hope your sweep does it for you.

Feeling for other ladies who are also suffering with prodromal/latent phase labour!! Mine started 2 weeks ago now and still no baby. I have down moments when things have ramped up only to stop where I just can't stop crying because I just want this to be over, but in my more sensible moments I know every contraction is doing something and whenever I read about other women's experiences it seems to end with a nice, fast active labour! I've been contracting irregularly with backache all day again today but it isn't escalating. Midwife is coming over tomorrow and I'll be offered a second sweep so I hope I'll be at least 3cm by now since I was 2cm and 100% effaced on Thursday. My OH has been an absolute superstar keeping me upbeat, making me laugh, giving me hugs and even massaging my back to relax me in the middle of the night. I know this is hard on him too and I'm so lucky he's been so supportive. My parents decided to book a self catering place near our house to stay in over Christmas to take the pressure off worrying about the baby coming in time. Trying to take my mind off contractions with fun Christmas films, we've watched Home Alone and Elf so far! Congratulations to those who have had their babies recently, the stories and photos really do keep me going. Reminds me this is all for a good cause!!

Oh Grace I feel for you - I was in early labour for a few days and thought that was bad enough! It is so exhausting not sleeping for days (or in your case weeks!!) on end. I do hope you get a nice quick labour though to make up for it. It would make sense as you're already dilating so the contractions must be doing something.

I had some uncomfortable pains last night and a lot of pressure but they've gone away overnight. 20th was the day I thought she might come but I now don't feel like she will (unless she's going to pop out!!). I'm going to try a walk this afternoon as the poor dog is getting bored and it would do DS good too.

Well I never thought I'd get to 41 weeks but here I am! Midwife has just been, baby and I are both fine, second sweep was the same as the first - 2cm (could stretch me up to 3cm), fully effaced, super low head. They'll be back again Friday to repeat if I still haven't gone into labour. They did say we would need to at least discuss induction plans next time incase I haven't given birth by the 26th as the policy here is to offer one at 42 weeks. I'm very reluctant as I want my home birth but also because I have a super active happy baby and my pregnancy is low risk, I don't see the rush. I asked if they would be open to breaking my waters at home before committing to going in for the drip since my cervix is already ripe and dilating and they seemed to think that was a reasonable plan but I'd have to discuss it with the supervisor of midwives if it comes to that. They really can't see me going another week though, all the signs suggest I could go at any minute now and just need to sit tight. They also think I could be in for a quick labour so fingers crossed! Feeling optimistic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->