Decided to try at 37!

madkitty

Reaction score
Just wanted to say hello to everyone and give you a little about my background.....I met my partner 14 years ago we were together for 7 years and were due to get married and had a house together, unfortunately things went wrong and we went our separate ways. This was 7 years ago but at the start of this year we got back together – he got in touch through Facebook of all places!!!! Since then we have just gone from strength to strength, are now living together and have decided to try for a baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very scary as Im 37 and hes 35 so thought I would come on here for some advice as Ive been on the pill for 20 years.

I know the risk of Downs is much higher after the age of 35 but Im also scared as my partners sister has Downs and I presume it means we are at an even higher risk.

Any tips on helping to conceive and vitamins etc to take being older would be much appreciated as Im so new to all of this!!

hi there!
dont know if youre at higher risk because of your partner's sister but yes, us "geriatric mums" are at higher risk full stop anyway!!
i hd my 3rd baby last aug at aged 36. my screening results threw up a 1:163 risk of downs. a scan then showed a possible soft marker (bowel problem) therfore making me 1:40.
i declined an amnio and subsequent scans showed nothing more.

anyway i had a healthy little boy. but it doesnt stop me worrying about next time. i am hoping to TTc baby4 this year. i will be just about 38.

do you get tests offered then automatically because of your age and history and if so what type of tests are they?

Hi Madkitty,

I had my first at 35. Several things I would recommend:

1) clearblue fertility monitor. This helped me so much! Not only gave me peace of mind that I was due to ouvulate but also tells you when you are fertile so you know when to have sex.

2) charting : this confirmed that I had ovulated by checking my basal body temp. I used fertility friend:

https://www.fertilityfriend.com

3) Hard... but ignore you age! You hear so much crap in the press and on TV. I got pregnant before all the younger people I knew were trying. Maybe it was a miracle but I'm more convinced that it's very much down to the individual. Some stay fertile well into their 40s some lose it much earlier. So don't assume you've left it too late at all!

4) EXERCISE! This i think helped me to conceive but also but me in good shape for pregnancy (I stopped once I got the positive). During all my routine check-ups my BP was excellent and my stamina during the birth was good. Run, go for walks, swim whatever...helps take the stress off ttc.

When I got pregnant (took 6 months or 3 months once I bought CBFM) I had the anomaly scan at 20 wks and blood test. They gave me 1:4000 chance for downs. I think it's offered to all women. Had my risk have been high then an amniocentisis would have been offered.

Good luck xxx

Hi Madkitty :)

I'm 38 and intend to try for #1 very soon. You're certainly not alone.

Best of luck and lots of :dust::dust:

do you get tests offered then automatically because of your age and history and if so what type of tests are they?

i think the tests offered depends on where you are (i think!)

i only got offered the 16 week test which looks for what it did. it isnt compulsary and was regardless of age. i was offered an amnio too. actually things have recently changed round here and a new 12 weeks test is being offered.

Hi madkitty! I second all of the advice above... and of course, if you're not already, take folic acid/multi vitamin religiously.

I don't worry too much about the age thing (am 37 also) - I know plenty of people who have got pregnant in their late 30s and into their 40s. I just think you have to be smarter about it - maximise your chances by charting etc, and maybe taking early action if you observe a problem.

Best of luck!

:hi: Hi Madkitty, as the the other ladies said ignore your age:haha: I'm 36 :wacko: when we went to our IVF Clinic she said not worry about our age that 35 isn't a cut off like most people think it really is an individual case by case sort of thing. Some 25 year olds have really low fertility and some ladies in their mid 40's are fertile myrtles so don't get hung up on age:winkwink: Best of luck!!

Hello and welcome - great news that you are trying for a baby - congratulations on making the decision and on finding each other again! I'm 37 (will be 38 in November) and trying for my first. I luckily met my husband 2 years ago, we got married a few months back, and we're keeping everything crossed to have a child. It's true that you have to try to ignore your age when you're TTC the first one - also I thoroughly agree with the previous poster about keeping fit - even getting up 15 minutes earlier and going for a gentle jog around the block is great for your peace of mind.

Don't mind any heed about TTC at 37 - you'll see from the threads that it's really common and there's a good success rate. I joined the 'June Testers over 35' thread last month, which was really good because even though I was negative when I tested last month, it was wonderful to see the positives come through as it gives me hope.

Very best of luck!! Fiona xx

i had my first 2 months after i turned 37.
i agree with the cbfm recommendation; i got pregnant on the first cycle.

cheers:hugs:

Hi Kitty,
I will be 37 in August, TTC #1 as well. Please join us at the "TTC 1st child 35+" thread, looking forward to chat with you more! :hugs:

I know its a cost but if you are worried about your fertility and want to check your ovarian reserve you can go to a fertility clinic and pay for an AMH blood test. They vary in cost from 65-130 pounds but are well worth the info you get. If it comes back very low you know the probability of you needing assisted conception. Im not saying at your age you need help but i personally think if you know whats going on now rather than after two years or trying you have more options open to you. I work in fertility and have seen this blood test help many people know where they stand. Its pretty accurate compared to scans and FSH blood tests and you can get young people with very low fertility and older ladies with satisfactory fertility. Just something you might want to consider that i have seen help many people work out what to do.

thanks everyone - definitely join you on the 35+ thread !!!

has anyone got the link to the TTC 35+ - cant seem to find it :wacko:

Here you go Madkitty :)

https://www.babyandbump.com/trying-conceive-over-35/354886-ttc-1st-child-35-a-610.html

Welcome- madkitty! I just turned 38 and trying for my first. My dh and I have been married for seven years and have been trying for 2+ years. Good luck to you. I am also in the 35+ trying for #1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->