Deciding on a doula

Proserpina

Mother of Dragons
Reaction score
I'm going to hire a birth doula. I've interviewed two doulas this past week, and am trying to decide between them. I think either of them would make a fine doula.

Here’s what both provide:

• Doula support services during the birth: pain management through massage, counterpressure, aromatherapy, soft music, emotional support, etc.
  • Basic lactation support
  • Both are very friendly and easy to get along with
  • Both offer additional contracts for postpartum doula services if I decide that I want those later on
  • Both seem to love birth and being a part of the birth experience
PROS for Doula #1:

• Her services seem more clearly laid out and structured
  • Seems more knowledgeable & experienced
  • Includes professional birth photography in her services; provides a picture book at the postpartum visit
  • Services include one more prenatal visit than Doula #2
  • Seems interested in religion (this is always a plus with me)
CONS for Doula #1:

• Is $400 more expensive than Doula #2
  • Is not as familiar with the hospital I want to labor at as Doula #2
PROS for Doula #2:

• Knows the hospital that I want to labor at well, knows the staff there, maybe even has met my doctor already
  • Is $400 cheaper than Doula #1
CONS for Doula #2:

• Is willing to take amateur snapshots with our own camera, but is not a professional photographer
  • Includes one less prenatal visit in her services than Doula #1
I’m leaning towards Doula #1 in spite of the higher price tag. While the cons balance each other out, she has more pros. I could certainly buy a lot of baby stuff with an extra $400, but I’d also really like professional birth photography, and hiring even a cheap birth photographer would probably be another $200-$300, and then I’d have another person in the labor and delivery room. For the record, Doula #1 has 14 years of experience, while Doula #2 has 2 years of experience.

Any feedback? Anyone here ever use a doula before?

I have.

And based on my experience (some appreciated yet terrible photos of the baby crowning but nothing afterwards), I would recommend the 1st doula. The extra $ IMO is worth the photography and the experience. I wouldn't worry about hospital familiarity, my own doula didn't know it at all but it made no difference (it was a home birth transfer). If spirituality/religion is important to you, then the emotional connection is worth it too. I had a connection with mine based on our similar prior (bad) birth experience with our 1st babies, and it helped. Good luck!

I think the photography is a nice gesture...of course, a doula that is familiar with your birth location is always a bonus too (unless the hospital staff isn't fond of her :lol:) with that said, as a birth doula myself, i say interview with both of them (if you havn't) and see who you "click" better with. I am always sure to sit down w a prospective client and make sure we just have that "thing". Im not sure how to explain it...like even if we like each other (why wouldn't we lol), there is just something that feels right or it doesn't. So that could help you narrow your choice down. I hope im making sense here. But sometimes you just have a funny feeling and the match just doesn't fit even though both our lovely. But then with another doula things could just "click", you BOTH are comfortable, and that is always a good connection and thing to have during one of the most intimate experiences of your life.

I think the photography is a nice gesture...of course, a doula that is familiar with your birth location is always a bonus too (unless the hospital staff isn't fond of her :lol:) .

That's sometimes a good sign :haha:

Thanks for the replies. As I've been thinking about this and trying to imagine my birth and what I want my birth to go like, I try to picture who I will feel best about having at my birth. And I think the answer to that is doula #1. I'm going to wait until Friday to make sure I'm out of the amniocentesis-miscarriage woods, then extend her a job offer. Thanks again for the feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->