definition of small baby - different to some people.

- why she is so small?
- I know ! I had mine 2 weeks early ( I hate this one lol )
- Oh my cousin´s husband friend ( because is always someone Lol ) had a pre E too and her baby was 6 pounds and 3 weeks early ! ( yes, double of my girl honey haha)

I HATE those questions!! IMO, after having mine a month early, 2 weeks is NOT early. 37 weeks is considered full term people. Jeesh.

Don't you love how everyone and their brother has a cousin who has a preemie twice the size of your own? Haha

I always say Sophie was 13 weeks premature then usually at some point in the conversation I get asked what she weighed at birth so I tell them 1lb 13. I hate it though when people ask stupid things like "Is she walking yet?" when she was one year actual - she was only 9 months corrected then and too tiny to support herself....and anyway, how many 9 month olds actually walk? I know there will be some who do but not many! I've had this all along - is she crawling yet? at 6 months actual, 3 months corrected! (weighing about 9lbs!)

I'm still constantly getting asked if she's walking yet because she's 14 months but she's still only 11 months corrected and is cruising so I think she's doing just fine but people make me feel like they are expecting her to be walking by now, grrrrr.

Also, it's amazing the amount of people I've met whose husbands were 3lbs or 4lbs (it's not even the same!)

I think (Fiestagirl) you have a sticky situation. I know what you mean - Connors weight and IUGR makes a big difference. And then if one answers not good enough , sometimes you feel you need to go into the whole story to re-iterate. Something I really couldnt be arsed with at times so I often lie about Alex's age.

Then I ask myself - "why lie? I should be proud". So I go with whatever I feel like at the time :)

Most of my friends who have babies around 36 weeks went home with their babies right away, or within a week, and i will forever feel bitter that I didn't get that with Alex. A preemie is a preemie but a NICU journey vs going home within a week? I'd take the latter tbh, and I wouldnt use 'preemie' as an excuse for anything in the future. So I do get really upset when others make out that they have the same predicaments.

What I mean is - there will always be someone claiming to have the same :dohh:

I too often have to remind myself that gestation/weight doesn't determine sod all sometimes - I guess this applies to Connor and to other babies on the forum like Findlay and Summer.

God, I gobbled on a bit there. Think I'm having a rough patch I'm sorry. x

- why she is so small?
- I know ! I had mine 2 weeks early ( I hate this one lol )
- Oh my cousin´s husband friend ( because is always someone Lol ) had a pre E too and her baby was 6 pounds and 3 weeks early ! ( yes, double of my girl honey haha)

I HATE those questions!! IMO, after having mine a month early, 2 weeks is NOT early. 37 weeks is considered full term people. Jeesh.

Don't you love how everyone and their brother has a cousin who has a preemie twice the size of your own? Haha

Yes =D it is ALWAYS someone, of course preemies are not ´´uncommon``
Like here ( US ) 1 in every 8 babies are born ´´too soon`` but I NEVER spoke to someone who doesn´t know a preemie ( not only knowing but it is always a family member lol )

Yep and most of the time their ´´preemies`` are 37 weeks, went home after few days to a week and they were 6 pounds haha, I really don´t think that birth size matters ! Because my 34+4 weeker was actually almost 6 pounds =D, but did had feeding problems, apnea and had to stay 1 week in the NICU and 1 in special care... BUT GESTACIONAL AGE MATTERS lol

-----------------------------------------------------

SANDI I AGREE

I used to think that I had a ´´jorney`` with my first, I kind did, I think anybody who has a preemie, does, even if lasts only couple weeks.
BUT please ppl a week in a hospital is not a jorney, a 37 weeker is not a jorney and last but not least, if you had a relative who had a preemie MUCH better and healthier than your preemie don´t try to compare =) - support is something, comparing is totally different.

I said it before, if it´s a game and everyone is comparing I rather loose and have a healthy full term and be only comparing the nights that I was awake breastfeeding =)... Hopefully I can experience a termie someday...

PS. Now I am having a REAL jorney, 16 days in the NICU, still having Apnea and bradys, she is breathing on her own but still having some spells and because she is just learning how to suck I know she will be here for a a little longer, or maybe when she is done with her spells...

- sorry got a little off the subject, haha

When people ask me if mine was a preemie, I say yes, but that we were lucky. She was born at 4lbs10, was just shy of 36 weeks. Had some breathing and blood sugar issues, but those righted themselves within a day or two. Stayed in nursery for a week cuz she wasn't really eating right, but never hit NICU. I was extremely lucky, and whenever I say she was a month early, I always add 'but I was lucky, she never went to NICU.'

It was still stressful cuz they kept telling me they wanted to keep her for a couple weeks and I was a mess and it was hard...but I was luckier than most of you ladies.

When people ask me if mine was a preemie, I say yes, but that we were lucky. She was born at 4lbs10, was just shy of 36 weeks. Had some breathing and blood sugar issues, but those righted themselves within a day or two. Stayed in nursery for a week cuz she wasn't really eating right, but never hit NICU. I was extremely lucky, and whenever I say she was a month early, I always add 'but I was lucky, she never went to NICU.'

It was still stressful cuz they kept telling me they wanted to keep her for a couple weeks and I was a mess and it was hard...but I was luckier than most of you ladies.

Yea you were luck, but like I said too, everyone who had a preemie even if it is a short story like yours, she will always be a preemie =)

And you are nice and not comparing to anyone, you admit that you were lucky and I have to respect you for that :winkwink:

But you will see a lot of times, ppl who experienced the same as you did and think they had the most terrible nightmare...
like... r u serious?
I had a 32 weeker and I am glad she wasn´t earlier ! I know that these ladies have been tru worse and I think they´re really strong for it !
so I am never comparing :dohh:
I am crying with my baby blues hehe, here and there, but when things get really hard I remember that I was supposed to have her at 26 weeks ! Not 32... So I did my best...

Yea you were luck, but like I said too, everyone who had a preemie even if it is a short story like yours, she will always be a preemie =)

And you are nice and not comparing to anyone, you admit that you were lucky and I have to respect you for that :winkwink:

But you will see a lot of times, ppl who experienced the same as you did and think they had the most terrible nightmare...
like... r u serious?
I had a 32 weeker and I am glad she wasn´t earlier ! I know that these ladies have been tru worse and I think they´re really strong for it !
I am crying with my baby blues hehe, here and there, but when things get really hard I remember that I was supposed to have her at 26 weeks ! Not 32... So I did my best...

Reading what you, and the other ladies post, I am seeing just how lucky I was.

Adding that to a girl's story I graduated with. They took her baby at 28 weeks due to a hemorrhage in her uterine wall. Her baby is a month old, and in NICU til at least July. And the past couple days has been losing weight. I have no idea how she does it. Or any of you. My baby was in the hospital just a few days longer than me and I was an emotional wreck not having her with me. I never stopped crying unless I was holding her. I even stayed at the Ronald McDonald House so that I could be in the same city as her. (The hospital is 35 minutes away only, but too far when we have just one car.) The girl I graduated with has another child, and is here in town while her LO is in NICU. I would've lost it...

All you ladies with stories like hers, different details or no, are so strong and I hold you all in such awe.

like... r u serious?

Reading what you, and the other ladies post, I am seeing just how lucky I was.

Adding that to a girl's story I graduated with. They took her baby at 28 weeks due to a hemorrhage in her uterine wall. Her baby is a month old, and in NICU til at least July. And the past couple days has been losing weight. I have no idea how she does it. Or any of you. My baby was in the hospital just a few days longer than me and I was an emotional wreck not having her with me. I never stopped crying unless I was holding her. I even stayed at the Ronald McDonald House so that I could be in the same city as her. (The hospital is 35 minutes away only, but too far when we have just one car.) The girl I graduated with has another child, and is here in town while her LO is in NICU. I would've lost it...

All you ladies with stories like hers, different details or no, are so strong and I hold you all in such awe.

Hahahah this thing is getting HUGE
I will admit that I was reallyyyy emotional when I had to leave my son too
with my daughter I was emotional, but it only hits me bad somedays, specially when they call to tell me something.

Let´s admit that having a baby is emotional ANYWAYS haha
But having a preemie is just a extra reason to be double emotional =)
you r emotional because u gave birth, u r emotional because (sometimes) you both survived, you are emotional because your baby is healthy ( a good emotional actually), you are emotional if your baby is too weak or sick.

Man this post partum hormones suck :wacko:

We are emotional even when we´re pregnant ! My daughter´s Godmother visited her today for the first time and she cried ( ps. she´s pregnant)
The nurse was like:´´why u crying dear ?``
and she was like : ´´ because she is beautiful`` hahaha !

Hahahah this thing is getting HUGE
I will admit that I was reallyyyy emotional when I had to leave my son too
with my daughter I was emotional, but it only hits me bad somedays, specially when they call to tell me something.

Let´s admit that having a baby is emotional ANYWAYS haha
But having a preemie is just a extra reason to be double emotional =)
you r emotional because u gave birth, u r emotional because (sometimes) you both survived, you are emotional because your baby is healthy ( a good emotional actually), you are emotional if your baby is too weak or sick.

Man this post partum hormones suck

We are emotional even when we´re pregnant ! My daughter´s Godmother visited her today for the first time and she cried ( ps. she´s pregnant)
The nurse was like:´´why u crying dear ?``
and she was like : ´´ because she is beautiful`` hahaha !

There, we'll stop the growth a little, haha.

Yeah, I was super emotional. And the stress was making my depression act up, so it was just a rough time over all. And the fear and everything. I'd been in and out of labor since 24 weeks, so all the fear and anxiety and everything just kept building and building...

I'm so glad and so thankful that I am able to have my baby at home with me. She's not completely where she should be, but she's close. I didn't get the pregnancy and delivery and 'after delivery' that I wanted, but I got my baby and she is beautiful and healthy and that's more than enough for me.

Dang it I'm crying, haha

I always say ''but she was 15 weeks early'' after I say how old she is.

There, we'll stop the growth a little, haha.

Yeah, I was super emotional. And the stress was making my depression act up, so it was just a rough time over all. And the fear and everything. I'd been in and out of labor since 24 weeks, so all the fear and anxiety and everything just kept building and building...

I'm so glad and so thankful that I am able to have my baby at home with me. She's not completely where she should be, but she's close. I didn't get the pregnancy and delivery and 'after delivery' that I wanted, but I got my baby and she is beautiful and healthy and that's more than enough for me.

Dang it I'm crying, haha

I can totally relate to you =) I was diagnosed with PIH ( pregnancy induced hypertension ) at 26 weeks and at 28 Pre E got me again ( had Pre E in my first too). So bedrest+a lot tension+ a crazy 2 year old( haha jk I love my 2 year old)+ppl telling me that she would not make it+ in and out of hospitals ( actually I spend more time in the hospital than home I was always hospitalized for so many days and as soon as I got back home, I was going back to the hospital)+ everything else that u probably been tru too haha

I was writing a blog-jornal for my pregnancy+delivery and life in the NICU
and I was writing really good actually, this post partum thing is giving me new skills, but I was a waaaay to emotional so I am waiting a bit to do it :winkwink:

---- ok I am out of here =P totally off topic, add me so we can chat ;D or go to my thread:
introducing Yasmin
(or something like this :shrug:)

This is such a difficult topic, for me at least. A year later I still avoid birth stories because I just can't relate. i get upset and resentful when i read of happy normal births, how pathetic is that!

Every preemie is a different journey, of course. I always try hard not to compare to other parents. But sometimes I've caught myself doing so.

After the csection, as i was brought back to my room, there was a new patient there with me (we were two per room). She cried and wailed and bawled her eyes out for days. Over time, listening to her sob on the phone I learned why...her full-term baby had jaundice and was under uv lamps.

That was it. uv lamps. My own baby was struggling just to stay alive. The doctors were very pessimistic he'd survive 24 hours; they were having trouble stabilizing him.

I told myself over and over her pain was as valid and real as mine. Suffering is heartfelt and cannot be compared. But i found it really hard at times.

During the next few weeks i attended a few preemie support meetings at the hospital. A funny thing I noticed is there were three scenarios that kept recurring. (I'm just generalizing here, please don't think I'm categorizing everyone, this is just my personal experience) Those whose little ones were hospitalized for a few days agonized over going home without baby. They were often the most vocal ones, saying how awful it was to be home empty handed. Those whose babies were in nicu for longer talked about finding it hard not to be able to hold their little ones. They seemed less upset, more accepting of the situation. Those like me who had the more pessimistic cases were usually calm and quiet. I recall wondering if something was wrong with me. It didn't bother me at all going home empty handed, or not being able to hold my baby. The thought never crossed my mind. I realized over a few of these meetings that my point of view was just different. I was secretly annoyed (don't hate me!) of the mothers babbling away how AWFUL it was to leave baby in the hospital a few days. During an introductory round the other mom whose baby was as fragile as mine - her daughter had severe lung problems - was asked to present herself, and she finally spoke up for the first time. She echoed what i had been thinking at all these meetings. She said quietly 'my daughter is a 24 weeker, I just hope she survives'. That's how I felt too.

Twice there were parents I knew in nicu whose precious ones didn't make it. I tried to tell myself I was one of the lucky ones. But it was hard. It just made me realize even more how suffering just can't be compared.

For months after baby was born (gosh this is becoming quite the confessional sorry :dohh: ) I couldn't even go into a maternity store without a major panic attack. The sight of all those big bellies with parents distraught because they couldn't get the furniture in quite the right shade - it would make me SOOO upset I'd storm out. I literally couldn't breathe or see straight. How DARE they be upset over such idiotic details. I would have given anything just to reach 30 weeks. Well you get the picture :blush:

My best friend had to be provoked at 38 weeks due to diabeties. She gave birth naturally to healthy twins. In the months that followed she ranted at me countless times because she wasn't able to give birth at home. She listed off the many small things that didn't go as she had planned. She was very upset, this was clearly very important to her. I tried and tried to be sympathetic. i nodded gravely and agreed, went through the motions. Yet this was the period I had just found out my little guy might be paralyzed on one side. I admit I could not muster one ounce of sympathy, despite all my efforts. In my mind her complaints sounded soooo pathetic and trivial. Yet to her this was clearly a tragedy. When she asked my opinion i said quietly 'im just glad my son's alive'. I think she realized we were coming from such drastically different situations we couldn't really compare.

Why tell you all this? It IS hard not to compare our experiences. Now I just nod silently when people tell me of their poor baby who had to stay under uv lamps a few days :winkwink: At first I thought sharing my story would make them feel better about theirs. But it doesn't, it just made them feel cheap. So now I only reveal my own 'journey' if people insist.

Now I just want to say I'm sorry for being all stressed about my preemie (I'm one of those whose baby was in the hospital just a few days, due to eating problems) and that I am in awe of your strength.

Now I just want to say I'm sorry for being all stressed about my preemie (I'm one of those whose baby was in the hospital just a few days, due to eating problems) and that I am in awe of your strength.

Please do not feel you need to apologise for being stressed about your lo being in hospital. It doesn't matter if your lo was in 1 day or 100 days you still didn't get to take your baby straight home which is what we had all hoped for.

I would hate for anyone to read and think their needs don't apply because they don't have an extreme preemie. Any baby in neonatal no matter what stage is hard because as a parent you would do anything to swap places with your baby so they aren't the ones getting blood taken etc.

I agree with 25 weeker . Sorry i looked over my over emotionsl bloomin post and im sorry i came across that way, i really meant that if i was put in a position where someone made out their LO went through as much I would probably need to put them straight. You dont come across like that,(cowboys angel) i dont think anyone here does, but there are people out there! ;)

No need to apologize, I completely understand where you're coming from. My LO was kept because of drastic weight loss and problems feeding. People that go on about how their preemie (born at 38 weeks.......) came straight home my preemie must've had issues (duh) or people that go on about their baby being kept for an extra day cuz of their jaundice level or something really irritate me.

OMG i just seen your ticker, i can't believe shes been here a month already! :shock: xxx

This is such a difficult topic, for me at least. A year later I still avoid birth stories because I just can't relate. i get upset and resentful when i read of happy normal births, how pathetic is that!

Every preemie is a different journey, of course. I always try hard not to compare to other parents. But sometimes I've caught myself doing so.

After the csection, as i was brought back to my room, there was a new patient there with me (we were two per room). She cried and wailed and bawled her eyes out for days. Over time, listening to her sob on the phone I learned why...her full-term baby had jaundice and was under uv lamps.

That was it. uv lamps. My own baby was struggling just to stay alive. The doctors were very pessimistic he'd survive 24 hours; they were having trouble stabilizing him.

I told myself over and over her pain was as valid and real as mine. Suffering is heartfelt and cannot be compared. But i found it really hard at times.

During the next few weeks i attended a few preemie support meetings at the hospital. A funny thing I noticed is there were three scenarios that kept recurring. (I'm just generalizing here, please don't think I'm categorizing everyone, this is just my personal experience) Those whose little ones were hospitalized for a few days agonized over going home without baby. They were often the most vocal ones, saying how awful it was to be home empty handed. Those whose babies were in nicu for longer talked about finding it hard not to be able to hold their little ones. They seemed less upset, more accepting of the situation. Those like me who had the more pessimistic cases were usually calm and quiet. I recall wondering if something was wrong with me. It didn't bother me at all going home empty handed, or not being able to hold my baby. The thought never crossed my mind. I realized over a few of these meetings that my point of view was just different. I was secretly annoyed (don't hate me!) of the mothers babbling away how AWFUL it was to leave baby in the hospital a few days. During an introductory round the other mom whose baby was as fragile as mine - her daughter had severe lung problems - was asked to present herself, and she finally spoke up for the first time. She echoed what i had been thinking at all these meetings. She said quietly 'my daughter is a 24 weeker, I just hope she survives'. That's how I felt too.

Twice there were parents I knew in nicu whose precious ones didn't make it. I tried to tell myself I was one of the lucky ones. But it was hard. It just made me realize even more how suffering just can't be compared.

For months after baby was born (gosh this is becoming quite the confessional sorry :dohh: ) I couldn't even go into a maternity store without a major panic attack. The sight of all those big bellies with parents distraught because they couldn't get the furniture in quite the right shade - it would make me SOOO upset I'd storm out. I literally couldn't breathe or see straight. How DARE they be upset over such idiotic details. I would have given anything just to reach 30 weeks. Well you get the picture :blush:

My best friend had to be provoked at 38 weeks due to diabeties. She gave birth naturally to healthy twins. In the months that followed she ranted at me countless times because she wasn't able to give birth at home. She listed off the many small things that didn't go as she had planned. She was very upset, this was clearly very important to her. I tried and tried to be sympathetic. i nodded gravely and agreed, went through the motions. Yet this was the period I had just found out my little guy might be paralyzed on one side. I admit I could not muster one ounce of sympathy, despite all my efforts. In my mind her complaints sounded soooo pathetic and trivial. Yet to her this was clearly a tragedy. When she asked my opinion i said quietly 'im just glad my son's alive'. I think she realized we were coming from such drastically different situations we couldn't really compare.

Why tell you all this? It IS hard not to compare our experiences. Now I just nod silently when people tell me of their poor baby who had to stay under uv lamps a few days :winkwink: At first I thought sharing my story would make them feel better about theirs. But it doesn't, it just made them feel cheap. So now I only reveal my own 'journey' if people insist.

JUST FOR THE RECORD =)

Idk if you remember but you were the first one who helped me when I found out about my 2nd time pre E ( around 26-28 weeks )

And surely your story gave me a lot of streight, today I am just glad she kept baking for another 4 weeks, but you were in my mind a lot days with your happy ending story ;)
So yes your jorney made me realize that I wasn´t in the worst position and even if I did, I could make it to the end like you did =)

thanks anyways :)

Now that Emma is almost 2 and has grow into a giant nobody asks anymore. She wasn't a hugely early baby, just 5 weeks and weighed a pretty good 5lbs 13. Despite the SCBU docs waiting for her to be born to whisk her away she didn't need to go to the unit. It was only when she stopped breathing 2 hours later that the crash team ran away with her. She spent 6 days in the unit before being discharged and was then readmitted 3 days later as she was losing too much weight and was down to 5lbs. So she wasn't particularly little to start with I feel but people constantly commented on her size right up to and beyond 6 months.

Bobo was only 454g when he was born at 23+ weeks. There is no comparison between the 2 to me. I am in awe of the LOs who have survived at these micro weights and if I am being honest, always a little jealous.

I have to say though that had Emma been our first experience I think I would probably feel that her 5lbs was tiny. If it is your only experience then it probably feels worse than it is. For me our 6 days were torturous though because I had left hospital with empty arms once before and doing it again was almost more than I could manage. I know that it was nothing like those of you who have had to wait 100 days but it was very, very hard for us even if it was a relatively short time. Our SCBU journey was short but it felt a lot more as it was part of a much longer journey to actually bring home a baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->