definition of small baby - different to some people.

Fiestagal

Reaction score
We went a soft play place today, Connor is 16lbs 5 oz at 20 months. One of the mums asked how old he is, so I told her and added my usual 'he was small when he was born' I don't know why I say that, maybe as a defence mechanism. Anyway she said her daughter was small too, only 6lb.

Do you explain there size when asked their age? Maybe I should say he was prem instead of small as people interpret it differently.

I normally say prem, if i say small i will more likely get a 'oh my cousins LO was small too at xxxxxxlbs' and then id just get peeved as it isnt the same thing at all you know what i mean? A bit like when you say LO was prem and the response is 'yeah so was mine, 2 weeks early :dohh:'

I usualy get "Oh shes small was she early?" even though shes not that small.

And then i get looked like im lieing when i tell them how early she was and what size she was.

I would say he was prem, it saves the other questions.

At our softplay meet on Saturday, Sherry & I were chatting to a mum of twins. Hers were 3 or 4 weeks prem ... she looked rather shocked when we said that Millie and Andrew were almost 3 months prem :D

:hugs: lozzy why the heck do people doubt :dohh:

To be truthfull i would doubt some one talking about a nearly 9lb 35 week baby :rofl:

Well... I'll give you that!!!! :rofl: you've certainly opened my eyes :)

I keep her neonatal discharge notes in her red book to prove she was born at 35 weeks :rofl:

I think if I say he was 5 weeks prem people won't see that as being particularly prem but at 2lb 11 1/2 he was much smaller than he should have been.

May try out the prem phrase and see what reaction I get.

Def go with "prem".. I get so frustrated with people sometimes.. "Yes, she was less than 7lb AND I was overdue"...
People still jump on the bandwagon with "Oh, my first baby was 2 weeks early!!!" or similar, it's annoying!

I always present him by corrected age. (9 months instead of 1 year) Only if people insist that he`s small do I explain why. I know this will sound evil but saying matter-of-factly that he weighed one pound at birth usually shuts people up =p

vermiel im with you there i always use LO's adjusted age it makes my life easier and the conversation flows better imo, they usually tell me he's big for his adjusted age i just say ty and move on

I usually just say Lilly is small when people ask. She is 9lb 4oz at 11 weeks old. I feel the same way plus everyone always asks if she is a newborn...

I would use premature rather than small as an explanation.

I couldn't even use hollys corrected age to stop questions. I would have to tell people she is a genius 4 month old:rofl:

Adjusted age wouldn't work for us as he was only 5 wks early. I have joked about passing him off as a much younger genius child!

I use Anya's actual age. More to see the reaction of really nosey folk. :haha: The majority of them just stand and stare with their mouth wide open. :wacko: They don't believe me when I say she was born at 23+6 anyway. Like I'd lie about something like that. xx

I had it the other week when someone asked how old Findlay was, I said that he was 2 and they said "he's a really lovely length for a 2 month old isn't he" so I then had to point out he was 2 years old not 2 months old and then of course they did the "OH! He's very small isn't he, how much does he weigh? I know various children the same age and they are much much bigger and doing x,y and z " so I then felt I had to explain to them about Findlay. It's so not fun having a 2yr old who only weighs 8lbs more than he did when he was born! :dohh:

I get asked if Midget was early all the time, or asked what she weighed. People who ask how old she is, I say "Well 6 weeks but she was a month early so..."

Say preemie =)
I don´t get those questions anymore because my 34+4 weeker is almost 3 and caught up ! =D
But until he was 1 people use to ask too much actually =P hate it...

I knoow i ll be getting the same, stupid and everyone knows preemie questions now that I had a even younger preemie!
like:

- why she is so small?
- I know ! I had mine 2 weeks early ( I hate this one lol )
- why shes is not walking yet ?
- Oh my cousin´s husband friend ( because is always someone Lol ) had a pre E too and her baby was 6 pounds and 3 weeks early ! ( yes, double of my girl honey haha)
- Can she eat anything?
- O my God, you had Pre E twice ? You don´t think about a third one, do you? ( can´t wait to answer : YES I actually do =D haha)

I know some people don´t ask to offend anyone, especially the age, because it a normal question, but as soon you tell the age they start asking more and more, some are educated and nice but most aren´t... =p

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->