defrosted breastmilk

ThunderPearls

Mum to 1 cheeky monkey!
Reaction score
How do you defrost your breastmilk?

I tried to defrost some for the first time today. I left it overnight in the fridge but in the morning it was still frozen :/ so I put the bag in warm water until it defrosted.

Is this ok?

Also it seemed fine to start off with but then it seperated after a couple of hours and unlike fresh milk where it has cream on top it instead had a layer of yellow-ish oil?! Is this normal? Is defrosted milk still alright at room temperature for a few hours after being defrosted with warm water?

Thanks

When ds1 was in nicu they used to defrost milk at room temperature or if it wasn't defrosted in time they'd put it in warm water. They said it's normal for it to separate

Thanks :) he seemed to drink it fine so it must have been alright.

If you defrost it in the fridge is it still alright to be stored in the fridge for a few days so long as it was frozen fresh?

I have thought that you should use defrosted milk that has been warmed quickly ( like putting in hot water) within about two hours, and milk that has been defrosted in a fridge within 24 hrs.putting it in warm water is how my mom would defrost the frozen milk to give my baby when I was working. I did that for over a year so I know that way is just fine. But she would always drink the milk right then, I didn't put it into the fridge to store.....

Hmm I guess 24 hrs, here's what I've found from a reputable source....
https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/breast-milk-storage/MY00926/NSECTIONGROUP=2
Hope this helps

If I know I'll need some milk the next day then I take it out the freezer & defrost in the fridge over night. It's ok in the fridge for 24 hours. When I go to use it in the morning it's still a bit frozen so I put the container in warm water. If defrosting at room temp then I would use as soon as defrosted. I often just take it straight from the freezer and run it under cool to warm water, getting warmer then leave in warm to hot (not t.oo hot) water, swirl it around now and again, and it's usually ready for me in about 10-15 mins. It's easier and quicker if you freeze in 1-2 oz batches and take out what you need rather than trying to defrost a container of a full feed. Sorry, gone a bit off topic lol but hope that helps xx

Thanks everyone :) I think I need to start freezing it in smaller quantities as thats probably why it was still frozen solid in the morning!

What sort of containers do people use to store it in?

Home Bargains do breastmilk storage bags - I use those. (MyBaby brand, packs of 25.)

When defrosted in fridge, use within 24 hours.

If I defrost in warm water - I use within 1 hour.

Aarrgh I was in home bargains on thursday... Didnt even occur to me to look for them in there! I got some frim boots but theyre so expensive :/

Oh yay i didn't know home bargains sold them! I've only seen them in toys r us the medela brand and really expensive! I was storing it in my avent storage cups as you can put adapter on and use as a bottle too. Now my baby is 6 months I don't need to sterilise everything so I've been storing it in the asda weaning pots because they're smaller and have just a 2oz capacity. Another good tip that I haven't tried yet is to measure out how much an ice cube tray holds per square then freeze your milk in that and empty the frozen cubes in a breastmilk bag or clean/sterilised tub :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hollie200
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->