Delaying school start due to moving house? (UK)

MindUtopia

Reaction score
I am just wondering if anyone has been in this situation and how you handled it? Our daughter is 3 now (will be 4 in Feb), so I've always planned for her to start school (reception) next September. It is now quite likely we may be moving house during the summer or into the autumn time. We'll be moving to a completely new area that's about 1.5 hours from our current house. We had expected to be here another year, so I was planning to put her in reception here with her friends she has now and then move her for Year 1. But now if we end up moving house sooner, it's likely she'll start reception, be in that school for a month or two and then move to an entirely new school. I'm now at least considering the possibility of keeping her out as I understand they don't actually have to start school until the term after their 5th birthday and then trying to start her in the new school after our move (which would be either part way through the autumn term or maybe even after Christmas).

Can I actually do this? Has anyone done it? And how much of a ballache is it to try to make that sort of thing happen? Like if she doesn't start school here, will it be impossible to arrange a transfer? I just don't want to fall off the radar and not be able to get things sorted at the new house because we didn't start her here and arrange a transfer that way? I love the idea of not having to pay for nursery (we both work full-time), so starting her in reception here as planned, even if for a month, would save us money on nursery. But I don't know if I want to put her through the stress of starting school, making friends, getting settled in and then taking her out a month or two later. That said, we won't really know if we'll be moving until next summer, so we would proceed as planned anyway. But I just want to know what my options are, if anyone else has been in this situation?

If she is 4 in feb then the term after her fifth birthday will start in April. TBH I would send her to school. She will have friends there anyway and it will give you time when she is in school to sort and pack boxes. Kids are so adaptable, moving school won't be a bother for her.

I didn't realise there were schools who still had more than one intake a year? I would ignore he fact you are moving house and send her into school with the intention of having to change. I see no benefit in holding back a child for environmental reasons.

I would send her in to reception with her peers. By not applying for her school place at the required time when you receive the forms, it can be then very difficult to get a school place. You would not automatically be entitled to a place the following year either.

It's very hard to differ school place for the following year. I looked into doing it for DS2 who's birthday is at the very end of the school year & is currently youngest in his class.

It's much easier if she starts with the correct class intake & then put in a transfer to another school as she will already be on the government system.

Plus you never know what could happen, the house buying process near enough always takes longer than anticipated & so much could happen to delay your completion date. What if it took 6 months longer than anticipated? That's 6 months of childcare you would have to pay for & 6 months of being settled in a school with her friends that your daughter would miss out on.

I disagree with the previous posters, I don't believe she will be held back and neither is school a legal requirement. Education is. They don't have to be in school to recieve an education, and even then it's only compulsory from 5.

It also won't be any more difficult to get her a school place, it's her legal right.

I would be the same as you and Id delay sending her to school if she's only going to be in the first school for a very short period. Ive homeschooled my 12 year old since May- it's perfectly legal.

Yes you can an it's absolutely fine, we nearly did it, my son is a September child and he was only legally obligated to start school (I work so home schooling not an option) from the January. We were in a similar position, to the point he would have had to stay in nursery (private) and they said they could keep him in until he was 5 I think it was. As it happened we ended up moving about 4 days before term started so, apart from it being very hectic, all was fine. But yes absolutely had we of moved later than the start of term but before the January I would have delayed him starting. I'm not the sort to fuss over something like this and my kids are incredibly adaptable, but it seemed completely unfair to him to make him start school for a few weeks to then start a whole new school. We knew we were moving, and where, it was just the date we were unsure until about a month beforehand I think it was (also about 1.5 hrs away) I will add though we are military so our application process can be slightly different, I literally called the school direct to get him his place so qualms.

I disagree with the previous posters, I don't believe she will be held back and neither is school a legal requirement. Education is. They don't have to be in school to recieve an education, and even then it's only compulsory from 5.

It also won't be any more difficult to get her a school place, it's her legal right.

I would be the same as you and Id delay sending her to school if she's only going to be in the first school for a very short period. Ive homeschooled my 12 year old since May- it's perfectly legal.

I'm not against homeschooling or delaying sending your 4yo for a year but if it's right for the child's needs, not because it suits time wise with a house move.

I'm not against homeschooling or delaying sending your 4yo for a year but if it's right for the child's needs, not because it suits time wise with a house move.

I think she was thinking of the childs needs though- Id hate to think of mine just getting settled and beginning to make friends only to move them a month or so later and having to do that all again.
That's how I read the post anyways

I think she was thinking of the childs needs though- Id hate to think of mine just getting settled and beginning to make friends only to move them a month or so later and having to do that all again.

I am actually really against moving children schools normally, I went to 13 different schools, but I think in the case where a child is ready to go they should go. One move early on shouldn't do any harm academically or socially.

Aside to that I admire home schoolers, I lack everything required to be a homeschooler, I think it takes something really special to be able to support your child and give them an education.

I am actually really against moving children schools normally, I went to 13 different schools, but I think in the case where a child is ready to go they should go. One move early on shouldn't do any harm academically or socially.

Aside to that I admire home schoolers, I lack everything required to be a homeschooler, I think it takes something really special to be able to support your child and give them an education.

You say you are against moving children and yet you can't understand why someone would delay something as big as STARTING school by a few weeks so not to have to go through the upheaval of starting 2 schools weeks apart, while also in the middle of a house move? They learn so little in the first weeks it's all about settling them in and I think a child having to experience that twice so close together is completely counter productive to getting them comfortable with school. As someone who HAS to move frequently (for reasons I am proud of I shall add) it's about using common sense, I fail to see what would be gained from sending a 4 year old to school for a few weeks to then go somewhere else, it'll make it harder to say bye to the friends she knows, I wouldn't want to do it as an adult let alone at 4.

She would be familiar with the nursery setting but won't her friends be going to school? It's a tough one.

I think it depends on the child. Mine would be ok and I would do it. Moves get delayed you could end up waiting a lot longer than you intially think.

My daughter just started at a school where we know no one, we've moved an hour away. It's only been one week but she's enjoying herself. But she is fairly flexible and is the sort of child who doesn't need a particular friend and will do her own thing.

We moved half way through DD's nursery year. We had hoped to get moved before she started, so we applied for her nursery place in our new area (about an hour away) and then had to give it up because our house hadn't sold. I was just going to keep her home with me until we moved, but rang a few places locally and got a cancellation place. In the end it worked out really well - she stayed I that nursery till the end of the Christmas term, we moved between Christmas and the new year, and her original place in the new nursery was never filled, so she started the new term In her new nursery. She enjoyed both, and it didn't seem to be a big issue for her moving from one to the other.

You say you are against moving children and yet you can't understand why someone would delay something as big as STARTING school by a few weeks so not to have to go through the upheaval of starting 2 schools weeks apart, while also in the middle of a house move? They learn so little in the first weeks it's all about settling them in and I think a child having to experience that twice so close together is completely counter productive to getting them comfortable with school. As someone who HAS to move frequently (for reasons I am proud of I shall add) it's about using common sense, I fail to see what would be gained from sending a 4 year old to school for a few weeks to then go somewhere else, it'll make it harder to say bye to the friends she knows, I wouldn't want to do it as an adult let alone at 4.

Yes I am against moving school but I think in this situation moving school is preferable to starting a term late and having to catch up with their peers. I disagree that children learn little in the first few weeks (in any case we are talking months in this case) when each of my 3 started school I was amazed at how quickly they were learning

They didn't even start full time for the first 2 weeks in our school, I certainly think the emotional experience of starting school with pre school friends and leaving to start a new school weeks later was of more concern than a few weeks of very little introduction to learning. I say this with the most adaptable children you can ask for (given our lifestyle) I wouldn't put a child through that, starting school is the biggest thing they do, as I say I'm talking weeks not months, I appreciate a house move isn't as "certain" as what we were doing. Did the OP say months? You'd be legally obligated to start your child within months anyway. I'm talking weeks, I presumed the OP was too as she said Summer/Autumn move.

They didn't even start full time for the first 2 weeks in our school, I certainly think the emotional experience of starting school with pre school friends and leaving to start a new school weeks later was of more concern than a few weeks of very little introduction to learning. I say this with the most adaptable children you can ask for (given our lifestyle) I wouldn't put a child through that, starting school is the biggest thing they do, as I say I'm talking weeks not months, I appreciate a house move isn't as "certain" as what we were doing. Did the OP say months? You'd be legally obligated to start your child within months anyway. I'm talking weeks, I presumed the OP was too as she said Summer/Autumn move.

Possibly after Christmas was mentioned. That's months. The term after the child turns 5 would be a summer intake as far as I'm aware, unless the school has staggered intakes (they are a thing of the very distant past up here and it's August intake only) but even delaying a start from September until Christmas would be a hell of a lot for a child to catch up!

Ah yes sorry just re-read possibly after Xmas, no I wouldn't delay that much, I think realistically I would delay anything up until October half term, and that's me knowing my child, with the added benefit that he's a September child. That was the decision we were facing, but as I say our move came just in time in the end. I think it's important the parent chooses though, only we know our own children and whether we are more concerned for their educational or emotional well being and each child would be affected differently, as the law states term after they term 5, it is our decision.

I personally wouldn't delay them starting school. I personally wouldn't like to think that our child would start school and then need to move as consistency is preferable hugely of course and you don't want them being unsettled or upset. But like others have said moves can be delayed hugely and unpredictable. School admissions start I think in November the year before they start so it's a long process.

My friend was moving at the time of schools and they applied to schools in the new area and had to risk that the house would go through in time. Thankfully it all did and they explained in their application that they were moving. There is a risk element but I'm sure it's not that uncommon as people move a lot.

Or my son is now in year one and since they started three kids have left (one to Australia and two as they moved house). It was sad to see them go but all the kids were remarkably resilient and took it in their stride.

Good luck x

I'm a teacher and no I wouldn't delay school start. It may not seem like kids learn much in the first couple of months but they really do. There are so much phonics taught at that time as a first introduction to reading. That's not to mention maths etc. It would honestly be easier for a child to cope with school change than never having been at school and starting behind everyone else.

My own son will probably have to move during his first year. It's unfortunate but I know with lots of support he will be fine. Fortunately for us the nursery he's in is in the school he will initially start at so we've minimized that initial transition to starting school.

Thanks very much, ladies. All very helpful to have your input. It's still all very up in the air at the moment, which is why I wanted to get some ideas as I have no idea what to do. The reason we would have to move in September to December ish is because we run a business which is very seasonal, so July and August, we literally work 7 days a week, 12+hour days for about 2 months straight. I don't even have time to go to do the food shopping! It's that intense. So it would have to be in the autumn time when we're actually home as we travel for events on the weekends and then we both work full-time 5 days during the week (my husband running the business and then I work full-time as an academic at a university). It would be lovely to move before the school year, but just not possible as we barely have time to do anything over the summer. Realistically, too, if we moved in, say, June, I wouldn't have a nursery for her anymore until the start of the school year. I'm not a SAHM, so moving somewhere we wouldn't be able to get her in a nursery isn't feasible. It's why we aren't moving now as she has a place and is happy there and we couldn't get her another one at 4 years for just a couple months.

We also have to move because it's for my work, no choice about that. I start a new job in two weeks that will have me doing a 4 hour commute - 2 hours there, 2 hours back - 3-4 days a week with 1-2 days working from home. My daughter's in a lovely nursery and she will have friends who will carry on there next year, as they won't all be starting school, so there would be plenty of continuity if she did stay at nursery. She's there 9-5 5 days a week already and it would be easy to continue that with the same teachers and same kids she already knows.

I think my plan will be to assume she'll start here at the school near us now in September. If it so turns out we can get a mortgage together and find a house in, say, June with an aim to move after the summer season finishes in September, then I'd probably keep her out, and start at her new school when we get moved. If we can't find anything over the summer, we'll assume it will be towards December when we finally move, so probably easier to have her start and it saves us some money on nursery. We actually need to find a house near the train line for me to commute to work that also has space on site for a commercial business! So we're asking for a lot. God, knows how long that will actually take to find! More I just wanted to know if it was possible, like if another school wouldn't take her if she wasn't a transfer because we moved like September 20th and she hadn't started exactly at the start of the term. But this is helpful. Gives me something to think about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->