Denied waterbirth

MissSazra

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

As the title says, I've just seen my consultant and been told a waterbirth is out of the question due to high bmi. She quite freely admitted I'm fit and healthy and I'm very mobile. I was told they have baths, but to be honest, that's not what I want as I'll be made to get out to give birth.

So is that it now, or could I try a different hospital? I really had my heart set on this, as it just looks so much more relaxed and calm.

Any help would be great,

Thanks

Why would your BMI mean you can't have a waterbirth? I don't understand personally. Did she explain at all?

All she said was that with a high bmi I wouldn't be able to use the midwife led unit (which is in the hospital) and that's where the pool is. The consultant led unit is in another part I'm guessing, and where I'll be ending up.

Having said I was fit and well, I don't see why it should be a problem either!

Sounds like they've labelled you high risk just because of your BMI then, as MLUs only tend to take low risk women.
Are there any other hospitals you could consider? Or could you consider a homebirth? You don't need anybody to 'allow' you that. I'd personally be wanting to avoid a consultant led unit if your pregnancy is straightforward.

i think it might be to do with being able to get a person out of the pool if there became a problem. Please bear with me while i try to find a "PC" way of writing this LOL

So if a woman who is overweight/obese suddenly fainted or there was a major problem whilst in the pool the MW might not be able to get her out safely...ie they might not be able to lift her out. I am a nurse and its very difficult as we have a minimal lifting policy... so basically we are NOT allow to lift up a patient. now obviously if someone needs to be moved who can't do it themselves then we need to use special equipment and the correct number of people. If we were sujected to lifting people all day everyday our backs would be distroyed.

So i think it might be down to the fact that first MW led units only have a small number of staff and they may not have lifting equipment to get you out of the pool if you became unable to help yourself.

Now a high BMI might mean anything- you could be 1lb overweight or 100lbs overweight but unfortunately a hospital has to put guidelines into place to protect everyne and they will always have a cut off point. Does that make sense????

Might be worth looking into someother hospital though cause my labour ward had one birthing pool on it. hope you can get what you want xxxxxxxx

They usually turn women down for waterbirths with a high BMI because of the manufacturers instructions for the pool. What you could do instead is home water-birth, or you could sit in the bath and the consultant-led unit and just refuse to get out! :thumbup:

I think it'll be tricky trying to find another hospital, looking at about 40 miles for the next nearest one.

Thanks for all the replies so far. Guess I'll have to keep looking into it all!

You dont have to change hospitals. You don't have to accept your consultants "advice" (afterall that is ALL it is)

Contact your MW, explain what the consultant said, and explain your wish for a water birth.. she has a duty to act on your behalf and be your advocate (under Nursing and Midwifery council rules). She should if appropriate escalte your concerns to one of the supervisors of midwifes (they work under the Local Services Authorty) and to your head of Midwifery at the hospital Midwifery lead unit.

You don't need anyones permission to have a waterbirth - you just need a free pool on the day.

Sorry about this, but it needs to be said twice - any of yor healthcare professionals (Drs OR Midwives) can only recommend and advise. They can't not make choices for you. It is your decision.

Let us know how you get on with your MW - call her ASAP, while it is all fresh in your mind and get an appointment with her if necessary.

Xxx

Thank you Bournefree, I shall try and give her a call this afternoon.

If not hun think about this...there is nothing that can be done in a birth centre that cannot be done at home.

So why not stay at home, that way no one can tell you you can't use the pool - hire or buy or borrow one its your and it wont be busy or being cleaned or what ever!

You will find those guidelines in every hospital and MLU im afraid, even if you try to fight it they can just use the manufacturers instructions as a reason you cant use one since they do have a weight limit on them.

If you have your heart set on a water birth then i would have a think about a home birth since there they can do exactly the same at home as they can in the MLU

I totally agree with Chuck and Lozzy

The only way to make sure you have a water birth is to do it at home - there won't be someone else in it (you hope?!?, OH or cats?), when you want to use it.

Water births are very popular and most units only have 2 at the most.. so It can be a bit hit and miss at the best of times in a Birthing centre or a hospital MW lead unit.

It was one of the reasons for me being at home (among many others), for my first and this birth.

You have all the same equipment, drugs and expertise at home as you have in a MW lead unit or birth centre, and I would argue better care - as you have at least one ot one care with a midwife.. they don't/can't leave you to go attend another women in labour at the same time as you.

Again that is your choice.
XxX

My only concern is that if I have a home birth I'll be 20 miles from the hospital should there be any complications. But I have certainly thought about doing it, especially as I'm not that keen on hospitals anyway!

Thanks again, great replies with great advice!

Hun 20 miles isnt a problem.

I live 20 miles from 2 hospitals (1 I would never chose to go to again) 1 is a 20 min drive the other is 35 minutes or thereabouts.

I chose to HBAC...the transfer time was never an issue, you will have the 100% attention of your MW who will be able to spot any early warning signs of anything needing intervention and that will be things really needing intervention not just you running out of time or 'failing to progress' or all the other bullshit reasons for interventions given in hospital.

In a hospital you will not have 1 Mw who is able to give you 100% of her attention.

Plus I can speak form experience that laboring at home is a million times easier and better than laboring in a hospital. I was able to have a bath, cook and eat a casserole, bath my toddler and put him to bed, do an online grocery shop and watch some TV it was brilliant.

I hadnt even noticed how frequent or long my contractions were (yes they were intense enough all I could do wa shut my eyes and breathe through them) when Mum said I think you should call the MW and your husband dear...by the time the MW got to me I was 7/8cm and hadn't even had paracetamol.

I transfered in the end but for the best of reasons and I still got a natural birth but for the GnA.

If you want a pool consider being at home, chosing a HB was the best decision I ever made even without the actual home birth bit LOL

That does sound like a good option. Especially as the consultant also told me today that I could have a bigger baby and it might need help delivering with instruments. I certainly don't want that, and fear that they may make me do this when I don't actually need it. My baby is measuring perfectly for 19 weeks, it is not a giant baby at this stage, so I don't see why things would suddenly change (although I'm aware that they can!)

She also has me referred to the anaesthetist in case I need an epidural or caesarean. Talk about predicting the worst for my birth. I know for certain I don't want an epidural, but of course if I need a caesarean then so be it.

I shall be considering and researching a home birth very seriously now though. My mw is phoning me Friday so I shall ask her about everything.

Just out of interest, and sorry to hijack, but if you want a home birth, do you really just tell them that is what you are doing and they have to send a midwife to you? What if there are none available?

Just out of interest, and sorry to hijack, but if you want a home birth, do you really just tell them that is what you are doing and they have to send a midwife to you? What if there are none available?

Idealy you tell them your wishes as early on in your pregnancy as possible so they can fill in the relivent paperwork and they usualy deliver the birth pack at 36/37 weeks. You just then ring them once your in labour.

Its the community midwifes that come out to you not the midwifes from the hospital so the chances of some one else having a homebirth and being in labour at the same time as you are small.

That does sound like a good option. Especially as the consultant also told me today that I could have a bigger baby and it might need help delivering with instruments. I certainly don't want that, and fear that they may make me do this when I don't actually need it. My baby is measuring perfectly for 19 weeks, it is not a giant baby at this stage, so I don't see why things would suddenly change (although I'm aware that they can!)

She also has me referred to the anaesthetist in case I need an epidural or caesarean. Talk about predicting the worst for my birth. I know for certain I don't want an epidural, but of course if I need a caesarean then so be it.

I shall be considering and researching a home birth very seriously now though. My mw is phoning me Friday so I shall ask her about everything.

Thats standard for every one with a high BMI, I went to mine, the consultant asked if i planed on having one, said not unless i needed a section, had a quick feel of my back and a look down my throat. He said they would be no problems if i did need an epi or a general. He then joked and said he hoped never to see me again. I found he was one of the most positive doctors i met during my routine appointments.

With a high bmi most cases of baby being big are due to the women developing gestational diabeties and as far as i could find they were no studies that showed women having a high BMI led to big babys when the mother dident have GD.

ergh of course because you are bigger you will have to be growing a baby so huge it wont fit <facepalm>

Hun, there is no reason you should be lumped in with the higher risk pregnancies just because you happen to be a bit bigger.

It is your choice to birth how you want and HB seems like a very good option for you.

I totally agree with Chuck and Lozzy

The only way to make sure you have a water birth is to do it at home - there won't be someone else in it (you hope?!?, OH or cats?), when you want to use it.

Water births are very popular and most units only have 2 at the most.. so It can be a bit hit and miss at the best of times in a Birthing centre or a hospital MW lead unit.

It was one of the reasons for me being at home (among many others), for my first and this birth.

You have all the same equipment, drugs and expertise at home as you have in a MW lead unit or birth centre, and I would argue better care - as you have at least one ot one care with a midwife.. they don't/can't leave you to go attend another women in labour at the same time as you.

Again that is your choice.
XxX

you had your first at home???????

i have been told because of high BMI and this is first i'm NOT allowed. BMI only 32.2 and recommended 30. you might get same as me if you ask for home birth. i'm well gutted:nope:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->