Denied waterbirth

So the midwife finally got back to me yesterday and said as she hadn't weighed me at the booking appointment, she hadn't realised my bmi was too high!

She had recommended the local birthing centre previously, but when I told her the bmi she backtracked and said I would probably have to go to the obstetric unit at the hospital instead as agreed by the consultant.

She told me to see the midwives at the birthing centre, but kind of knew what their answer would be, and has offered to give me a tour of the obstetric unit as I told her I really wasn't keen especially after seeing their online virtual tour.

What the consultant said about having a bigger baby and maybe needing an instrumental birth (which I shall refuse for as long as possible, as this is most definitely not what I want) makes me more concerned about homebirth, and I just don't know what to do anymore.

My lovely birthing experience that I dreamed of is going to end up a nightmare, I can just see it.

MissZara - I was in the same boat as you and my mw gave me a flat out no due to my bmi which is 38 btw (i'm fat and pregnant..so what)

Ask for an appointment with your labour ward manager/consultant midwife, the bottem line is the nhs is a paitent led organisation...you have the right to make choices for yourself and any consultant or mw can only advise you on the pros and cons, you cannot be forced to have an intrumental birth as it is ASSAULT and practicing professionals know this.

my local health board cut of for water birth is 35 and they have the decresstion to allow any woman physicaly able to use the pool up to the bmi of 39...the reason I was given for this is due to health and safty and manufaturing guidelines... after a meeting with the labour ward mw i was informed I was allowed to have a waterbirth and will be.

big deal you dont have the perfect bmi....your preganacy is not about that its about you and your baby... you have the right to make informed choices and dont let anyone tell you otherwise:hugs:

I hope this helps and ps even 3 out of 5 mws gave me the wrong information regarding my birth options

good luck ...hope to hear how you get on x

Listen you musn't think like that, about it turning into a nightmare. This is totally your experience..it's very hard to actually tell health professionals that you are not taking their advice, as they often phrase it as a given, like you're doing something unlawful, I know that.. You can birth your baby, even if he/she is on the larger side, there's still no problem with that, and btw, scans are so amazingly innacurate for size....if you have facebook, find 'invisible midwives' and 'like' it or join it or whatever to get updates- very good stuff there, and if you ask any of the posters, they're helpful and very pro women's choices in labour, that's what they're there for. Please don't be disheartened. It disheartens me so much to hear what midwives are saying, UK and US, ruining experiences for women. Well knowledge is power, so arm yourself well and keep positive, and keep us posted.

My BMI is 41 or 42 depending on whether the MW calculates it with her computer or her wheel and I'm going for a home birth where I can have my birth pool. I'm not going into hospital unless I absolutely need to be, and I will certainly start off at home and only transfer in in an emergency, I won't go to hospital "just in case", as I know I definitely won't get a water birth there.

I have a bmi of 32 which they told me is high risk as the cut off is 30 but its no problem having a water birth. I will be a Leeds general and they havent even batted an eyelid. I dont see why its a problem, I hope you get results.
X

Leeds promote water birth but actually getting in the pool on the day is MUCH more challenging!

you had your first at home???????

i have been told because of high BMI and this is first i'm NOT allowed. BMI only 32.2 and recommended 30. you might get same as me if you ask for home birth. i'm well gutted:nope:

My BMI was the similar and my midwife asked me if I wanted a home birth. We waited until around 34 weeks to do all the paperwork. That way they knew I was still up for it and they could check I was perfectly healthy.

Also, with not allowed doesn't work with births, you get to choose. Now they can advise against anything, but if the only complication you have is a BMI of 32.2 then it's really not their call to attempt to stop you.

i think it might be to do with being able to get a person out of the pool if there became a problem. Please bear with me while i try to find a "PC" way of writing this LOL

So if a woman who is overweight/obese suddenly fainted or there was a major problem whilst in the pool the MW might not be able to get her out safely...ie they might not be able to lift her out. I am a nurse and its very difficult as we have a minimal lifting policy... so basically we are NOT allow to lift up a patient. now obviously if someone needs to be moved who can't do it themselves then we need to use special equipment and the correct number of people. If we were sujected to lifting people all day everyday our backs would be distroyed.

So i think it might be down to the fact that first MW led units only have a small number of staff and they may not have lifting equipment to get you out of the pool if you became unable to help yourself.

Now a high BMI might mean anything- you could be 1lb overweight or 100lbs overweight but unfortunately a hospital has to put guidelines into place to protect everyne and they will always have a cut off point. Does that make sense????

Might be worth looking into someother hospital though cause my labour ward had one birthing pool on it. hope you can get what you want xxxxxxxx

this was my thought too. hope you get the birth you want hun x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"