Denied waterbirth

I totally agree with Chuck and Lozzy

The only way to make sure you have a water birth is to do it at home - there won't be someone else in it (you hope?!?, OH or cats?), when you want to use it.

Water births are very popular and most units only have 2 at the most.. so It can be a bit hit and miss at the best of times in a Birthing centre or a hospital MW lead unit.

It was one of the reasons for me being at home (among many others), for my first and this birth.

You have all the same equipment, drugs and expertise at home as you have in a MW lead unit or birth centre, and I would argue better care - as you have at least one ot one care with a midwife.. they don't/can't leave you to go attend another women in labour at the same time as you.

Again that is your choice.
XxX

you had your first at home???????

i have been told because of high BMI and this is first i'm NOT allowed. BMI only 32.2 and recommended 30. you might get same as me if you ask for home birth. i'm well gutted:nope:

No one can tell you that you are not allowed to have a homebirth. They are going against there policys by doing so. If you want a homebirth tell them you are having one and they have to support you.

My BMI was 41 and i was booked in for a home birth, her being my first was never mentioned.

Idealy you tell them your wishes as early on in your pregnancy as possible so they can fill in the relivent paperwork and they usualy deliver the birth pack at 36/37 weeks. You just then ring them once your in labour.

Its the community midwifes that come out to you not the midwifes from the hospital so the chances of some one else having a homebirth and being in labour at the same time as you are small.

It was never something that was offered in early days, but I never even got as far as a birth plan so I have no idea if it would have come up at some point. I assume they don't "offer" it as a service if they can help it.

Not that it matters, having had a preemie by C-section under GA, I would assume I'm considered high risk the next time round.

Idealy you tell them your wishes as early on in your pregnancy as possible so they can fill in the relivent paperwork and they usualy deliver the birth pack at 36/37 weeks. You just then ring them once your in labour.

Its the community midwifes that come out to you not the midwifes from the hospital so the chances of some one else having a homebirth and being in labour at the same time as you are small.

It was never something that was offered in early days, but I never even got as far as a birth plan so I have no idea if it would have come up at some point. I assume they don't "offer" it as a service if they can help it.

Not that it matters, having had a preemie by C-section under GA, I would assume I'm considered high risk the next time round.

It depends on your area, i was asked at my booking apointment if i had a preference but others have had to ask about it. Having a section doesent mean you cant have a home birth as long as you get to full term obviously. They have are a few girls on here that have done it

It depends on your area, i was asked at my booking apointment if i had a preference but others have had to ask about it. Having a section doesent mean you cant have a home birth as long as you get to full term obviously. They have are a few girls on here that have done it
I think it is the emergency part of it that would give them concern, I bled really heavily after my waters broke. But I'll certainly be asking the question.

Foogirl...haivng had a preemie makes your hugher risk and having had a section puts you in the higher risk category.

Now the previous CS means you have a risk of uterine rupture a tiny risk less than 1% and VBAC is better for you and baby all round than a repeat CS but still reason for you not to homebirth - I planned an HBAC with no difficulty or opposition from anyone other tha the OB who I saw once found them crap so didnt bother seeing them again.

The Preemie on the other hand...was there any reason found for the early entrance of your LO? If it was something that is unlikely or unknown whether it will occur again then plan a home birth...if you dont get to term then nothing is lost.

Planning my HBAC was the best decision I ever made - I didnt quite get my homebirth but nearly!

i have been told because of high BMI and this is first i'm NOT allowed. BMI only 32.2 and recommended 30. you might get same as me if you ask for home birth. i'm well gutted:nope:

BULLSHIT....there's no such thing.

Those words may come out of someones mouth but they can only recommend that you birth in an OB led unit...you cannot be forced there.

Hi everyone!

As the title says, I've just seen my consultant and been told a waterbirth is out of the question due to high bmi. She quite freely admitted I'm fit and healthy and I'm very mobile. I was told they have baths, but to be honest, that's not what I want as I'll be made to get out to give birth.

So is that it now, or could I try a different hospital? I really had my heart set on this, as it just looks so much more relaxed and calm.

Any help would be great,

Thanks

Exact same thing happened to me. My BMI was calculated at 36 and the cut off for my local MLU is 35. So I was told no at my booking appt. Luckily my midwife realised she'd made a mistake in the rounding and put me at 35, so I can use it if I want to.

Have decided to have a home birth now with my own pool and feel much happier about it!!

I'm also getting the large women have large babies cr*ap - sonographer booked me for 32 growth scan without explaining why, she just gave me a note to give to the receptionist and disappeared before I could ask her. I've since asked and it is because of my BMI... grrr, was worried about the baby's 20 wk scan measurements.

I'd agree with the other ladies here, if you can't use the MLU and really want a water birth, hire a pool and have a home birth. Good luck hon x

Foogirl...haivng had a preemie makes your hugher risk and having had a section puts you in the higher risk category.

Now the previous CS means you have a risk of uterine rupture a tiny risk less than 1% and VBAC is better for you and baby all round than a repeat CS but still reason for you not to homebirth - I planned an HBAC with no difficulty or opposition from anyone other tha the OB who I saw once found them crap so didnt bother seeing them again.

The Preemie on the other hand...was there any reason found for the early entrance of your LO? If it was something that is unlikely or unknown whether it will occur again then plan a home birth...if you dont get to term then nothing is lost.

Planning my HBAC was the best decision I ever made - I didnt quite get my homebirth but nearly!

I thought VBAC was a higher risk? But I haven't really looked too far into it yet.

We have no idea why Abby came so early. In fact, she didn't come early, they went in to get her out when I started bleeding. Although I lost my waters, I hadn't gone into labour at all so they reckon I would have continued with pregnancy, possibly to full term. I did have a low lying placenta though. Not quite previa, but enough for them to warn I might need a section if it didn't move. Again, as I never got that far I have no idea if it would have moved. Given everything that went wrong, I do have a "what if" fear about not being in hospital. Having said that, the new one is only ten minutes away so close enough in an emergency.

BULLSHIT....there's no such thing.

Those words may come out of someones mouth but they can only recommend that you birth in an OB led unit...you cannot be forced there.

NIcely said Chuck!!!!

Please never ever accept "you're not allowed" as an answer!!!! What a load of bloody horse shite, they can't tell what you're allowed to do! If they don't "allow you" a home birth, you can stay at home, ring them, refuse to go in, and they HAVE to attend you. It's illegal for a MW to refuse to attend you when you're labouring or birthing.

I had a high BMI during my first pregnancy (it was 32) and they tried to refuse me a HB. I never had one because of complications with LO that literally meant she wouldn't survive being born vaginally but it'll take a lot to get me in a hospital next time :winkwink:

Foogirl, VBAC is "higher" risk than a RCS but it's far better for your body and the baby too. AS long as your scar has had more than a year to heal, you should be fine to have a VBAC. Some hospitals do integrity scans (to see how well healed the scar is) and assess your risk percentage from that (my local one does sometimes) but TBH they are a load of codswallop. They're about as accurate as growth scans - not very!

I totally agree with Chuck and Lozzy

The only way to make sure you have a water birth is to do it at home - there won't be someone else in it (you hope?!?, OH or cats?), when you want to use it.

Water births are very popular and most units only have 2 at the most.. so It can be a bit hit and miss at the best of times in a Birthing centre or a hospital MW lead unit.

It was one of the reasons for me being at home (among many others), for my first and this birth.

You have all the same equipment, drugs and expertise at home as you have in a MW lead unit or birth centre, and I would argue better care - as you have at least one ot one care with a midwife.. they don't/can't leave you to go attend another women in labour at the same time as you.

Again that is your choice.
XxX

No one can tell you that you are not allowed to have a homebirth. They are going against their policies by doing so. If you want a homebirth tell them you are having one and they have to support you.

My BMI was 41 and i was booked in for a home birth, her being my first was never mentioned.

Oh Yes first at home! (couldn't imagine doing it any other way now)
.. and I have to say that my BMI with my daughter on booking was 30+ and I DID have gestational diabetes. It well controlled, no indications from late scans that there would be any problems with size of babies tummy.. so I didn't accept that I had to be in hospital, induced and labelled as "high" risk.. as the clinical evidence simply wasn't there.. it was some silly hospital policy - well as an individual, I don't usually undergo risky treatments because of mere policy¬!

sometimes people (MWs, women, and the general population), forget or just don't know their "birth rights" and birth choices.

Not directed at anyone here (as in general we are the inquisitive ones who don‘t just accept whatever we are told by one person) - but I have lost count of the number of women who are staggered that I was "allowed" to have a home birth for a first baby.. and then when they found out I was under extensive joint Obst/MWlead care, they almost take a step back! Every women should take responsibility for their own choices and bodies, and not let or allow a medical professional to make those decisions for you.

Every women regardless of presentation should know there are at least 3 options for location of birth (some places 4, if there is a stand alone birth centre near you), which are:

1 - Home
2 - Stand alone Birth centre (Midwife lead unit not attached to a hospital with an Obst unit)
3 - Midwifery lead unit (attached to a hospital WITH a Obst unit)
4 - Obst lead unit

There are various things that you can and can not get with each of these choices and women should be made aware of all of the options and their rights to choose anyone of them, no matter any recommendations, advice or even policy, there is no such thing as "let" or "allowed" in child birth... it is demoralising, controlling.

Sorry I/we might have hijacked this as a home birth thread - but it isn't that at all.. It is about choices and birth rights of every women!

For example: It shouldn't be that some women who really want to give birth in a hospital choose a home birth.. because they can't trust in the Drs or MW to respect and enable their choices. Also some women who feel so bullied by the "system" and who would like a MW to attend them at home, but feel they cant trust them, will choose to birth at home without a MW present. Which I personally think is very sad... when it wasn't what they wanted in the first place.

OP - please let us know how you get on Friday!
...and if you do consider homebirth.. have a read of www.homebirth.org for some initial back ground reading or ask anyone of us home birthers any questions you like! ;-)

XXx

My BMI is about 37 or 38 and I'm planning a homebirth and yes, this is my first :) My OH is completely supportive which is fantastic, and I've got a fab doula booked, and the more I run into the medical profession, the more I hear about risk and tests and appointments, the more I just think "get knotted". They don't seem to have any faith in the human body. If my body can't birth my baby, I wouldn't have conceived, surely? I've not had a single problem with the pregnancy, been healthy and well, baby is fine, kicking away, and yet I'm supposed to go to pointless OB appointments because of my BMI, and because I had a small loop excision of some dodgy cells on my cervix back in 2007 which they've already told me they can do nothing about except monitor me in labour - so why do I need to see a consultant at 20 and 36 weeks? They know I'm fat, that's not going to change. I'm not going, I went for the 20 week one and it was pointless so I'm going to cancel the 36 week one.

I thought VBAC was a higher risk? But I haven't really looked too far into it yet.

We have no idea why Abby came so early. In fact, she didn't come early, they went in to get her out when I started bleeding. Although I lost my waters, I hadn't gone into labour at all so they reckon I would have continued with pregnancy, possibly to full term. I did have a low lying placenta though. Not quite previa, but enough for them to warn I might need a section if it didn't move. Again, as I never got that far I have no idea if it would have moved. Given everything that went wrong, I do have a "what if" fear about not being in hospital. Having said that, the new one is only ten minutes away so close enough in an emergency.

Hmmmm sounds to me like it may have been a case of well you're here in hospital so lets gets baby out rather than wait and see but who knows, sometimes it's never apparent why things went the way they did...do you have a copy of your notes?

As for VBAC there are different risks comparing a VBAC to a RCS but going into labour and VBAC are better all around for you and baby - it is after all how they are supposed to arrive.

The risks are exactly the same for any birth but there is the additional risk of uterine rupture (which can by the way happen to an unscarred uterus) the risk of rupture is less than 1%, and rupture doesn't mean alien chest burster style nastiness going on, it can be a simple as stretching of the scar and bleeding but yes it can mean the scar literally rupturing on the inside.

But it is VERY rare and more often than not early warning signs are picked up on and things are managed before it becomes a problem. It will be recommended that you have constant monitoring to pick up on any signs of fetal distress but this is not the only indicator of UR.

Chances of success are the same as for any first time Mother around 75/80%

My problem with hospital VBAC is all the 'recommendations' set you up to fail! Lets take a Mother who had a CS last time so is very apprehensive, possibly fearful and perhaps even getting over PPD/PTSD and then tell her her uterus may rupture and that she needs to be next to a theatre 'just in case', that she will need to come into hospital very early in labour 'just in case'. she will need a cannula fitted 'just in case' and have constant monitoring 'just in case'.

<facepalm>

Okay so let me get this right for a woman who actually needs more support and encouragement and for whom a relaxed labour will be very important after last time you are in fact going to make her bored, uncomfortable, stick needles in her and stop he moving around - right so all this 'just in case' horse shit is actually so you can fail her at every turn!

All of those recommendations are made so hospitals can avoid litigation IF anything were to happen due to the labouring woman not having the support she really needs, and they are the opposite of what any labouring woman needs - to be comfortable and relaxed.

I would never have laboured as long as I did by simply breathing in a hospital I would have been bored senseless and unable to do what I wanted. Home was far better lol!

Hmmmm sounds to me like it may have been a case of well you're here in hospital so lets gets baby out rather than wait and see but who knows, sometimes it's never apparent why things went the way they did...do you have a copy of your notes?

The risks are exactly the same for any birth but there is the additional risk of uterine rupture (which can by the way happen to an unscarred uterus) the risk of rupture is less than 1%, and rupture doesn't mean alien chest burster style nastiness going on, it can be a simple as stretching of the scar and bleeding but yes it can mean the scar literally rupturing on the inside.

But it is VERY rare and more often than not early warning signs are picked up on and things are managed before it becomes a problem. It will be recommended that you have constant monitoring to pick up on any signs of fetal distress but this is not the only indicator of UR.

My problem with hospital VBAC is all the 'recommendations' set you up to fail! Lets take a Mother who had a CS last time so is very apprehensive, possibly fearful and perhaps even getting over PPD/PTSD and then tell her her uterus may rupture and that she needs to be next to a theatre 'just in case', that she will need to come into hospital very early in labour 'just in case'. she will need a cannula fitted 'just in case' and have constant monitoring 'just in case'.
Oh I definitely had a lot of "just in case" cannulas, it was horrific. And a lot of "just in case" injections and blood tests etc. I will be more forceful next time.

I don't have a copy of my notes, but I will say in the hospital's defence, I had 3 major bleeds in the two weeks prior to her being born and on that particular night, the 4th bleed, I lost over two pints of blood. They thought they were going to lose me as the bleeding wouldn't stop and they were afraid the placenta had abrupted.

I will certainly be discussing all the issues with my consultant next time round.

Keep in mind that no 2 pregnancies and labours will be the same. You bled last time, this time you are just as likely not too!

You may decide to birth in abospital but you can decline all of the just in case shit you don't want. Say no to cannas and tests and things you do not want. This is t easy when you're expected to follow orders but make sure your birth partner k owe what you want or get a fouls to protect you.

OB's can be very unsupportive of you even wanting a natural hospital birth let alone home birth after a complicated one. If you find them unsupportive then don't go back. If your pregnancy is uncomPlicated then why bother with the OB.

I had 1 appt with an OB who pooh poohed me wanting to HBAC and told me it was dangerous. I told my MW and SHE said well I wouldn't bother going back it's a waste of time if they're not supportive.

So the midwife finally got back to me yesterday and said as she hadn't weighed me at the booking appointment, she hadn't realised my bmi was too high!

She had recommended the local birthing centre previously, but when I told her the bmi she backtracked and said I would probably have to go to the obstetric unit at the hospital instead as agreed by the consultant.

She told me to see the midwives at the birthing centre, but kind of knew what their answer would be, and has offered to give me a tour of the obstetric unit as I told her I really wasn't keen especially after seeing their online virtual tour.

What the consultant said about having a bigger baby and maybe needing an instrumental birth (which I shall refuse for as long as possible, as this is most definitely not what I want) makes me more concerned about homebirth, and I just don't know what to do anymore.

My lovely birthing experience that I dreamed of is going to end up a nightmare, I can just see it.

So the midwife finally got back to me yesterday and said as she hadn't weighed me at the booking appointment, she hadn't realised my bmi was too high!

She had recommended the local birthing centre previously, but when I told her the bmi she backtracked and said I would probably have to go to the obstetric unit at the hospital instead as agreed by the consultant.

She told me to see the midwives at the birthing centre, but kind of knew what their answer would be, and has offered to give me a tour of the obstetric unit as I told her I really wasn't keen especially after seeing their online virtual tour.

What the consultant said about having a bigger baby and maybe needing an instrumental birth (which I shall refuse for as long as possible, as this is most definitely not what I want) makes me more concerned about homebirth, and I just don't know what to do anymore.

My lovely birthing experience that I dreamed of is going to end up a nightmare, I can just see it.

Not all OB want to intervene hun, I was booked in for a homebirth but she came early so had to go into hospital. My OB was happy to leave me in the care of the midwife while everything was fine and even when things started to go wrong he only stepped in when he needed to. I was pushing for two hours and he was happy to let me do so, it was only when she was showing signs of distress that he put a time limit on it.

Take a deep breath....

Take it on evidence: it's easier
Is your baby measuring big for dates by ultrasound (not fundal height - as in your case it will be woefully inaccurate.. i'm being polite about th size of your tum;-) Altough estimated fetal weighs are inaccrate the measurements they take in scans of the head circ, abdominal circ, are much more accurate! the worry about a big baby (and I mean off the chart big, as there is natural variation in all of us) is that baby will not be able to decend through the pelvis - Pelvic-cephlic disproportion... if there is evidence of this only only way out for baby is c-section. if there is no evidence of this, you have little worries about a vaginal birth.

Why would you need a vaginal instrumnetal delivery if baby was masuring big? Well some babies do get stuck, and your risk of this is exactally the same as mine or anyone elses of Shoulder dystocia - this risk isn't because of your BMI or your baby.

Your MW is meant to be your advocate.. just arranging a tour of the unit, isn't good evidenced practice, and isn't enabling your informed choice which she has a duty to inform and protect. She has a duty to esscalate this to the head of midwifery and one of the superisor of midwives. Get in contact with them.

It is YOUR decision.
XxX

I'd like to see the crystal ball these people have that let them know your baby is big, also that you'll need instruments?

My mind boggles!!

IF multiple scans performed by different sonographers reliably show a baby which is off the charts big then go to the OB unit. If not you have a normal baby who can arrive normally with no mote risks than any other baby.

Bigger mama does not = gigantic baby

Bigger baby does not = instruments

https://www.scienceandsensibility.org/?p=3030

Read this series of posts that are fully referenced.

We had a private scan on Monday and the baby was measuring absolutely perfectly for 19 weeks. The HC was 18+6 so nothing majorly big, and I can't see a reason for that to change in the next 20 weeks and become a giant baby that I'll never be able to push out.

We have our 20 week scan in 2 weeks so I guess I'll see what's going on then as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->