Dentist...Crown is too big!...help please!

LaDY

Mummy Of Two xx
Reaction score
I have had a crown put on one of my teeth but i feel as though it is stopping my mouth from closing as normal...im thinking of booking another dentist appointment...does anyone know how this procedure will be done? I really dont want them pulling the crown back out again...

How long ago did you have it? Is your dentist normally pretty good? I say that cos I've had two crowns now I have an excellent private dentist who spent aggges making sure they fit properly and he assured me when he'd finished it was a good job... But it still felt strange in my mouth like my bite was all wrong. I told him that and he said sometimes it just takes a while to get used to it. Within a week it felt fine! So if it's only just been done maybe leave it a few days to settle if it isn't go back as sometimes they can just file it down for you x

I had this exact thing happen about 5 months ago. Its massive, it does not fit my tooth at all! But there is no way Im going back to have it adjusted because the whole thing was too painful in the first place (kept hitting a nerve throughout the entire procedure despite FOUR injections to numb).

So I just left it. I have actually gotten used to it now :thumbup: took a good few weeks though. I find it painful if I bite down too hard n it too and I suspect that is due to it not fitting correctly. When I feel my tooth with my tngue there is just a big bulge that sticks out :haha:

There is no way Im seeing that same dentist again! Xxx

You should go back and see your dentist for sure. As others have said it might be that you're just not used to it yet. At the end of the day, your dentist is providing you with a service and if you're not happy you should get something done about it. Any good dentist will fix any problems :) I work as a dental nurse and all the dentists I have worked with always have several appointments, I.e. initial impressions, try in stage, fitting, review.. And they have always wanted to patient to leave 100% happy and I'm sure your dentist is the same!

I'm a dental technician (someone who makes crowns) if it is stopping your jaw from closing then the occlusion could need adjusting. Go back to the dentist and get them to check. If the occlusion (biting surface) is too high then it could Break whilst biting or damage the opposing tooth. It doesn't hurt to get it checked it could be that if it is recent it just needs a bit of time for you to get used to it :)

Not the same thing, but I have a plate with 3 false teeth on at the back of my mouth, and when I got this it felt awful in my mouth, felt so big and stupid and I couldn't speak without a list for a few days lol! I got it in Feb this year and by now I'm quite used to it, but if I don't wear it for a day or 2 then it feels awkward again. Maybe give it a week or 2 then go back if its no better :) xx

**Edit - Clearly I meant lisp and not list :rofl: **

Thank you everyone. Iv got a appointment tomorrow to get it checked. Think it really does need filing down! I'm finding it really hard to eat :( Also I feel that my crown is thicker than my other teeth! It seems to be sticking out more then my other teeth! It is at the back but it is bothering me a bit :( Did anyone else experience this?

Tardiz since you make crowns, is it normal that they are so thick?

No.. However due to the materials needing minimum thickness The crown may be a bit bulky due to the preparation of your tooth being too big but the dentist can only prep so much as they have to take into account pulp chamber etc.

I am a dental nurse. It may just be that the crown feels bigger as your not used to it because its different to what you had there before eg a broken tooth or a filling etc.....the dentist should have checked the occlusion at the time of fitting the crown, I would give it a few days and if it still feels wrong then go back and he can check it again. All he will do is get you to bite down on a peice of thin blue paper so that it marks the tooth to show if you are biting too heavy on a part of the crown then he will drill it down if you are, you wont feel anything though as its not the tooth. hope this helps.

ETA - the crown thickness is normal, it will probably feel like that until your mouth gets used to it, the mouth is very sensitive to these things but you will get used to it and it will eventually feel normal. but the occlusion needs fixing if its not quite right.

Thank you everyone you have been a great help. I went to the dentist and he did file it down and he actually said he wasn't happy with it therefore he wants to re-do it :( Not looking forward to it at all but to be fair im happy that he is being honest about it. Its funny though as even though he has filed it down it still feels like its slightly in the way when i bite...from what i can see it may just be that im not used to it? xxx

Could be yeah :) atleast when he fixes it you know it will be right this time and if it still feels odd then you know its just the feeling of it in your mouth :) xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->