depression and working

jenwren83

Reaction score
Hi,

2 weeks ago now I was diagnosed with prenatal depression by my GP.After 2 weeks of having moderate symptoms, things came to a head and I had a 'mini-breakdown'. I spend my days crying, feeling down, tired due to lack of sleep, comfort eating, paranoid etc etc.

Anyway she signed me off work for 2 weeks and asked me to come back to see her before going back. However, I still feel as bad as I did two weeks ago (I have a previous history of depression too) and can't see it lifting any time soon. I know I need more time off work as my job is very intense and stressful, I can barely cope at home at the mo, let lone with that pressure.

Do I ask to be signed off for a couple more weeks or until my maternity leave starts (7 weeks time) ? (this would stop the worry of returning to work - one thing off my shoulders)

I feel so silly feeling so down, when I have my first baby to look forward to! This is another factor of it - sometimes I dont believe I am pregnant at all even though I can feel bubba kicking! I wondered if this is a part of it too?

Jen x

I would ask your GP what she thinks. Going back to work might be too much pressure but it could also be good for you.

I was signed off for 3weeks with depression and anxiety but my GP wanted me to go back after this. I'm glad I did as being at home all day I had lost the reason to get out of bed in the morning and was barely eating/sleep/washing. Going back to work forced me to do all this and I really think it helped me. I have a stressful job too so I only went back for 5weeks then started my maternity leave.

Hope you feel better soon xx

hi Jen. As your job is stressful and ou still feel the same, I would be inclined to continue being signed off.

Another option would be to phase back into work. Is there anything they can do to take some of the stress off you, decrease your workload for example

I am in a similar situ - signed off with stress while pg and I feel really guilty and will probably go back to work on Wednesday.

I have an occupational health person calling me today to see how they can make my return to work easier, do you have occupational health at your place? HR would know x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->